FMO's

G Acevedo

Hello everyone,
I have been doing research now for a few weeks and have narrowed my choice down to three FMO's. TR King, Gordon Marketing and JSA are my top three. I've tried to contact Ritter but they have not answered my email, so they're off my list. I really like the website for agents they have, I wish they would've answered me to find out more info.
Between my top three, TR King to me seems the most genuine out of all of them that I've checked on. Gordon Marketing has also been really good. My only issue is that I've checked on different Forums here and they have a lot of negative comments. More than positive ones, which concern me. JSA has many of the products I want and seem very professional and well organized. My only issue with them, or at least the representative I chatted with, doesn't seem so friendly and genuine.
If anyone can give me insights on your personal experiences with these top three I have, I would greatly appreciate it. Part of me would like to remain as an ICA with UHC but the other part of me is telling me to go independent. Please, if you can all just enlighten me on any dealings you've had with these companies, or any opinion as to stay as an ICA or go independent I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,
I have been doing research now for a few weeks and have narrowed my choice down to three FMO's. TR King, Gordon Marketing and JSA are my top three. I've tried to contact Ritter but they have not answered my email, so they're off my list. I really like the website for agents they have, I wish they would've answered me to find out more info.
Between my top three, TR King to me seems the most genuine out of all of them that I've checked on. Gordon Marketing has also been really good. My only issue is that I've checked on different Forums here and they have a lot of negative comments. More than positive ones, which concern me. JSA has many of the products I want and seem very professional and well organized. My only issue with them, or at least the representative I chatted with, doesn't seem so friendly and genuine.
If anyone can give me insights on your personal experiences with these top three I have, I would greatly appreciate it. Part of me would like to remain as an ICA with UHC but the other part of me is telling me to go independent. Please, if you can all just enlighten me on any dealings you've had with these companies, or any opinion as to stay as an ICA or go independent I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

TR King is going to be your best choice of those three. But I have to admit, I have no idea who JSA even is. Is that a new start up?

TR King is going to be your best choice of those three. But I have to admit, I have no idea who JSA even is. Is that a new start up?
Don't choose Gordon Marketing. There, see, no spam! But we will say that JSA is AMAZING and would be a good choice. TR King is not an FMO in the sense that JSA and we are. Large distributors have tens of thousands of agents in all 50 states and the top tier contracts with most carriers. The title "FMO" is almost useless.

FMO/IMO/NMA: the actual name is a royal mind game on agents so that you won't know who is actually at the top of the contract unless you research that company's structure.

For example, we have the top national contract with Mutual of Omaha, Level 9 and we are called a GA. We have the top national contract with Anthem and are called a FMO. With North American Life we are IMO, with Medico the top level is FMO. But with Humana we are called a MGA. With United Healthcare the top level is NMA, which we are and so is JSA. Todd might be a "FMO" with UHC, but that is not to the top level. He may have one top tier contract, but there are only a handful of companies that have all the national contracts.

Not that you need to be with the top of the hierarchy, and contracting with agencies at GA, MGA, SGA etc can be a great fit for your needs. Just keep in mind that when you contract with someone in the middle of the hierarchy, the contract on the top controls. If you are under X and he is under Amerilife, and you want a release later. X may say "sure thing", but Amerilife may veto the release. X has no authority with the carriers, he must go through his upline, Amerilife.

New agents don't figure this maze out for years and then feel duped that no one explained it when they were contracting. To add another layer to it, many of us national FMO/IMO/NMAs go under each other for certain contracts. We have large FMOs under us and we go under them, when it is beneficial.

Don't choose Gordon Marketing. There, see, no spam! But we will say that JSA is AMAZING and would be a good choice. TR King is not an FMO in the sense that JSA and we are. Large distributors have tens of thousands of agents in all 50 states and the top tier contracts with most carriers. The title "FMO" is almost useless.

FMO/IMO/NMA: the actual name is a royal mind game on agents so that you won't know who is actually at the top of the contract unless you research that company's structure.

For example, we have the top national contract with Mutual of Omaha, Level 9 and we are called a GA. We have the top national contract with Anthem and are called a FMO. With North American Life we are IMO, with Medico the top level is FMO. But with Humana we are called a MGA. With United Healthcare the top level is NMA, which we are and so is JSA. Todd might be a "FMO" with UHC, but that is not to the top level. He may have one top tier contract, but there are only a handful of companies that have all the national contracts.

Not that you need to be with the top of the hierarchy, and contracting with agencies at GA, MGA, SGA etc can be a great fit for your needs. Just keep in mind that when you contract with someone in the middle of the hierarchy, the contract on the top controls. If you are under X and he is under Amerilife, and you want a release later. X may say "sure thing", but Amerilife may veto the release. X has no authority with the carriers, he must go through his upline, Amerilife.

New agents don't figure this maze out for years and then feel duped that no one explained it when they were contracting. To add another layer to it, many of us national FMO/IMO/NMAs go under each other for certain contracts. We have large FMOs under us and we go under them, when it is beneficial.
What difference does it make if Todd has the top contract or has 10s of 1000s of agents?

Does he give the same commission level as you? I don't know the answer but I'll guess that he does. So if comp is the same, who can help an agent more...an agency with a zillion agents where a new rep will be lost in a sea of production or one where the agency owner is smaller (but not too small) and much more reliant on the success of his or her downline.

Serious question.

Last edited:

Well you responded to me but you didn’t answer the only question I asked. Who is JSA?

And your response to the rest was confusing. You said Todd is under other IMOs with some of his contracts but direct with others. And you are under other IMOs with some of your contracts but direct with others. But you are bigger and agents need bigger?

I am independent.
I have never spoken to Gordon or JSA, that I remember.

I have several contracts under Todd. I don't ask much of anyone I contract under. However, he answers my calls, text and emails.

I trust him.

I get that feeling from them when I chatted with them. I feel like they would be a great resource of help to have. Just still not sure since the other two have been pretty good in answering my questions and giving me great answers.

Back