Freelance Broker Advice?

Good afternoon all,

I recently left a brokerage firm to pursue another employment opportunity but I currently have licenses to be a Life Consultant and a Life, Health & Accident Agent in the state of New York. I would like to keep both my licenses and continue to work on the side or as a freelance broker, administering plans on the weekends and whenever I have down time at my new employer.

It seems from reading some of the posts that it would be a financial hit to start my own agency but I would be open for it. unfortunately do not have any ideas on where to start so any advice would be beneficial!

First and foremost, write a business plan and choose a legal structure, that's the most important thing. After that work on the necessary things like choosing your agency's name, registering your business within your state, getting the appropriate business licenses and permits, etc. Everything will follow and fall into place.

Good afternoon all,

I recently left a brokerage firm to pursue another employment opportunity but I currently have licenses to be a Life Consultant and a Life, Health & Accident Agent in the state of New York. I would like to keep both my licenses and continue to work on the side or as a freelance broker, administering plans on the weekends and whenever I have down time at my new employer.

It seems from reading some of the posts that it would be a financial hit to start my own agency but I would be open for it. unfortunately do not have any ideas on where to start so any advice would be beneficial!

Can you sell?

I do not suggest starting an agency then. I would suggest that perhaps I would take these initial steps:

1. Make sue you have a health and life license for you state.
  2. Begin looking for an IMO or FMO
  3. Read, Read and Read some more on the selling aspect of this business.
  4. Find a good mentor or sales program to learn from.
CAUTION! Sells are not for everyone!

Notice how I asked a question to your question. Too often (myself included) people make assumptions before fully understanding the question. That can kill you in this business. That is why it is important to find #4 on my list... a cup of coffee and a few hours can set you up and point you in the right direction that fits you best. Do number 4 first!

Back