Funeral Director Tells All About Industry..

I did read this a portion of this the other day when it first appeared. This is a good thing to know for the agents who from time to time run into people considering a pre-paid funeral. I can see where you could use this against somebody considering going with the local funeral home that buried dear ant Betsy years ago, and did such a fine job on everything.

"The total cost would be $5,000" said the funeral director.
"And that includes digging the grave."
"Is that the whole thing?" I asked.
He replied, "Yes, that's the hole thing."

Lol had to read that one twice. Must be tired. That's funny.

There are many dishonest Funeral Directors in this world just as there are many dishonest people in ALL businesses and professions. This guys tells some whoppers in his rant. One of his biggest lies is that embalming is NOT done for public health. If this guy went to embalming school, he obviously did not learn anything. That is the number one reason for embalming, second is preservation until the body is buried and the third is the appearance of the body. Would you want to go into a funeral home and view a friend who died of TB, Flesh eating bacteria, or an infectious disease without being sure any diseases (Known or Unknown) that the deceased had had not been taken care of?

As far as signing a contract, the Funeral Director is required by law to get a contract signed before they leave the office. This is for the protection of the consumer and it makes it clear what all charges are for and how much. The consumers is fully aware of everything when they leave the Funeral Home after the arrangement conference. Plus nowhere in this country can you make a $5,000 purchase, say see ya later, and walk away without signing some type of sales contract.

The funniest part of his rant is the painted plywood box part. All families who come into any Funeral Home I have ever worked in or owned, had each and every casket explained to them as far as the material it was manufactured with and a clear explanation of the cost. All families receive the same service regardless of the cost of the casket and or vault. They choose a casket based on what they want and not what the Funeral Director tells them. I have personally talk more people DOWN in cost as not to let them pay more than they can afford.

Another thing, when a family drives into the Funeral Home to make arrangements for a deceased family member, in a $50,000 car and tells me they cannot afford to pay for uncle Joe's service, it does not bother me a bit to suggest they call another funeral home. It is not the duty of any funeral director to cover the cost of a deceased family member. I have helped many families over the years and discounted many, many, services to accommodate those who truly are having a rough time , but it is not the Funeral Director's responsibility to pay for funerals, its the next of kin's.

Well your mark up is 200% per the rant so I'd like to think you'd do some discounting.

;)

I'm just kidding btw

Back