Question about door knocking

Lvm82

Expert
Can you tell me if you ever get burned out with door knocking? Because it is your own business you do have to get out there and hustle of course. But do you ever get burned out? It seems like the best way to make more money is if you get people under you like an MLM that can sell underneath you so then your working smarter, not harder, or find ways where people come to you such as referrals. On one hand the business is a great chance to make good money minus the charge backs, but does the hustle and bustle everyday ever burn you out? Or is better than a 9 to 5?

Yes.

I have not door knocked in a lot of years. Then it was running orphans so considerably easier than cold or store bought leads. But yeah, got old. I do not have the mindset for it. I am weak at a cold door.

The thing is there are so many ways to do what we do. And no one says you have to pick just one. Dave stated part time and was a personal trainer, I think. Noah, travel several states, doing F2F, and takes his house with him. There are agents that have not laid eyes on a client in years, if ever. There are guys that do it by video. Debit guys, phone guys, knockers, lazy guys like me that wait for the phone to ring.

Oh, and guys that will tell you it can't be done. Till they do it.

I used to hit slumps once or twice a year. All self induced. I just worked and burned myself out. Mostly when I was a road warrior. Then I learned to change it up. Go on a F2F appointment or two. Move my office to the patio and take swim breaks, work from a sea side hotel, start calling clients to just say hi. Whatever, I just need to change it up sometimes.

Change it up.
Try it.

Last edited:
Can you tell me if you ever get burned out with door knocking? Because it is your own business you do have to get out there and hustle of course. But do you ever get burned out? It seems like the best way to make more money is if you get people under you like an MLM that can sell underneath you so then your working smarter, not harder, or find ways where people come to you such as referrals. On one hand the business is a great chance to make good money minus the charge backs, but does the hustle and bustle everyday ever burn you out? Or is better than a 9 to 5?
Yes, you get burnout sometimes. I’ve experienced burnout every August for over 30 years now. The problem is internal, though. My patience wears thin when there are too many 100+ degree days in a row (like this year!). I learned years ago not to make any major changes in business direction during hot weather. I’ve also learned it’s ok to take a break when you need it. Or, like @WinoBlues just said, change up your activity a little.

But you shouldn’t make business changes from a position of weakness or frustration. You want to develop a downline? Then do it because you’ve been successful, and would enjoy helping other people to become successful. Don’t do it because you’re just tired of beating the pavement, or think it would be nice to kick back and make coin off of other people’s work.

Developing a referral network is 100% a better way to get new business, and a great way to avoid burnout.

My patience wears thin when there are too many 100+ degree days in a row (like this year!)

I feel your pain.

I’ve also learned it’s ok to take a break when you need it.

Yup, I have worked very little for a couple of years. My wife just took a job, after 30 years, so i think i am going to start back up a few days a week. However, my office is going to be mobile this time.

I’ve also learned it’s ok to take a break when you need it. Or, like @WinoBlues just said, change up your activity a little.

Yup, yup, taking some work and setting up in a small California coastal town for a week. A little work, California wine and seafood make the Wino a mellow fellow.

No

When I chased leads no one would answer their phone so your only choice was to door knock. The knocking never bothered me but getting an earfull from a lead pissed off because you just showed up did. So glad that I don't have to do that anymore.

Depends on the person.
If you get contracted with FEX you don’t have to knock doors. According to them door knocking is “inefficient”.
They train the low income seniors who mail in the cards to answer the phone.
Much easier.
Agents set appointments. Prospects are waiting for them with hot coffee on the kitchen table.
95% 13 month persistency too.

Depends on the person.
If you get contracted with FEX you don’t have to knock doors. According to them door knocking is “inefficient”.
Much easier.
Agents set appointments. Prospects are waiting for them with hot coffee on the kitchen table.

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Depends on the person.
Much easier.

No one from FEX has ever said anything of the sort.

You have tried to contract with FEX several times. You have never been told you would have to give up DK’ing.

We have several DK’ers doing $250K and up every year.

It’s ok to not know what you’re talking about. It’s not ok to talk it anyway.

Are you not running leads? I door knock leads when necessary, but I prefer having a day full of appointments. I dial my leads, set appointments, and stay busy.

Of course, I'll door knock if no-showed, but no risk of burning out on door knocking, since I don't have to do it so often.

Back