Giving a Gift Card As an Apology to Ex-client?

NCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a person that we had quoted him for his home and auto insurance and he liked the insurance. However, we found out later on that he had a couple of claims that my new producer-in-training overlooked. As a result, we moved him elsewhere for one line but the other went up past what he was paying before.

The guy was upset but we fixed it and he is back to where he was before. I'd like to keep the lines of communication open since I'm going to be getting more carriers and he will have 2 losses come off in about 8 months.

My question is this: Can I give him a gift card for like 20 bucks to show our sincerest apologies and to show that we acknowledge that his time is valuable, too? It would be for a client in GA if it matters and the agency is in NC. Well, he would no longer be a client at the time that we give him the card. We didn't collect any commissions and in fact lost some time that could have been used elsewhere when doing his policy.

Thoughts? I haven't had this be an issue before and I sincerely hope it won't happen again anytime soon.

are you going to pay a client everytime there is a screw up?

Worst case, send them a hand written card......

I think it's coming from a great place, but just listening to a customer, owning the mistake, and apologizing can go a long way.

Giving them a gift card as an apology is a bit over the top, sort of like getting your girlfriend diamond studs for forgetting to open her car door.

Chalk it up to a learning experience, apologize to the client, and yell at the agent just enough to keep it from happening again.

Just had a produer that works for me kind of screw up with a great client. We still got the case of business but it was a mess.

I called the insured appoligized for the problem that he had at my office and asked if there was anything that I could do. I followed that up with a nice letter, and I had the producer who made the mistake mail a card to him telling him that his business was appreciated and he was sorry for the mistake.

Josh said:
I think it's coming from a great place, but just listening to a customer, owning the mistake, and apologizing can go a long way.

Giving them a gift card as an apology is a bit over the top, sort of like getting your girlfriend diamond studs for forgetting to open her car door.

Chalk it up to a learning experience, apologize to the client, and yell at the agent just enough to keep it from happening again.

Dang it why didn't I read this thread 6 years ago. Josh what is an appropriate gift for forgetting to open the car door for a girlfriend?

I gave a $20 Starbucks card and a hand written message to a client for a small error. It kept the client happy. And she also told people about it, further cementing my reputation for great client service. Well worth the money. Much cheaper than the cost of getting a new client.

Last edited:
Dang it why didn't I read this thread 6 years ago. Josh what is an appropriate gift for forgetting to open the car door for a girlfriend?

Definitely something better than just cheesy diamond stud earrings. No wonder Josh's girlfriend left him..............

Definitely something better than just cheesy diamond stud earrings. No wonder Josh's girlfriend left him..............

Real men don't open doors for girlfriends. You don't want to create false expectations for later on.

Back