Go Daddy E-mail Account

I like hostgator, but nothing is as reliable as the Google servers. You can also use both, but hands down google apps is going to be the easiest to use and most reliable.

I see the value in moving my email to Google. So... if I basically like my website for the moment and want it to stay close to the same visually as it is now... and I convert / change it to Wordpress, who would be a good host other than GoDaddy? What would my first steps be in addition to Josh's earlier post?

I see the value in moving my email to Google. So... if I basically like my website for the moment and want it to stay close to the same visually as it is now... and I convert / change it to Wordpress, who would be a good host other than GoDaddy? What would my first steps be in addition to Josh's earlier post?

I used hostgator and I'm setup with them as a reseller so I'm hosting some folks sites, but you can go directly to them as well.

To convert the site to wordpress on your own you would need copies of every page of content on your site then change the nameservers to wherever your new host is. Once that's setup you can login to the cPanel, created an add on domain (unless it's your primary domain), then use one of the install wizards to get wordpress setup. Once that's done you'll have a scratch install of wordpress and be able to customize it and add your content relatively easily. If you want you can go to wordpress.com and sign up for a free wordpress site to play with or I can make you a scratch installation to work with and get a feel for whether you like it or not. The only thing that looks slightly tricky about your site is the contact form, but there are a lot of relatively simple ways to get that setup including a plugin called contact form 7. I have the developer edition of gravity forms and that's what I use on any of the sites that I build, but you can also try ninja forms or a few others.

I love google apps email. Only problem is I am about to exceed the storage in my inbox and I will have to pay $5 a month per user.

Josh, I appreciate your answers. I'll add all this to my plate in the coming weeks. As far as my "Contact Me" form, I rarely get contacted through it. It's mostly direct email or phone, so the need to duplicate it is not a big priority.

Any opinion on Fatcow to host? $3.67/month plus a free domain for 24 or 36 months seems realy good. I only want my site for a presence if someone wants to look it up and check me out.

I registered 3 domains at register dot com for $2.97 for all 3 on Friday. Will use google apps for email ( thanks to the wonderful suggestions here), now I just need a host. I have time as I will be Independent instead of captive come Late July early August. Trying to get all my ducks in a row.

I've never used fatcow before, but they're probably fine. I really like the technical support from hostgator and I think they do a great job. Committing to them for 2-3 years sounds like a bit much, but that's just me.

I've never used fatcow before, but they're probably fine. I really like the technical support from hostgator and I think they do a great job. Committing to them for 2-3 years sounds like a bit much, but that's just me.

Yeah the commitment is long, but $88 for 2 years is as much as some want for 1 year. I was sold on Hostgator, but I always like to save money when I can. Since I am using it just for presence right now I don't need the best. Will use Wordpress which all the Hosting Sites use that I have looked at. I would definitely use Hostgator if I was looking to have a big online prescence and using my site to generate a lot of leads.

Back