Go Daddy E-mail Account

I'm in the process of dumping Godaddy email as we speak. Since I don't really feel like typing up a long post to discuss every one of my issues I'll just say this; It sucks massively.

Amen John. GoDaddy has been good at two things, becoming the first major site for registering domains and spending a boatload on advertising to create the perception that it's a great service.

Anyone hosting email there for business is making a mistake. I'm with Josh all they way on using google for email, moved there a year ago and couldn't be happier with it.

I understand not wanting to make a loooong post, but just to say it sucks massively isn't helpful. I'm not married to godaddy and I don't feel personally invalidated if someone says they don't like them. But for me, here's the deal...

My site is a "website tonight" $100 per year account with several free email accounts attached. I'm only using one currently. The site does what I want and my email feeds to Outlook and an Android device. With a few minor glitches in the past year, it just works. It doesn't check the air in my tires or any of those other nice bells and whistles, but it just works at the level I've asked of it.

So here's my question. With the addition shortly of some educational / marketing videos embedded but hosted on another site, suppose I wanted to change from godaddy. How would I move [email protected] to google, being that my email account is packaged with the website? What would be the advantage? What other host would be so much better for what I'm doing with my site? Bear in mind that I'm not selling or quoting on the site.

I understand not wanting to make a loooong post, but just to say it sucks massively isn't helpful. I'm not married to godaddy and I don't feel personally invalidated if someone says they don't like them. But for me, here's the deal...

My site is a "website tonight" $100 per year account with several free email accounts attached. I'm only using one currently. The site does what I want and my email feeds to Outlook and an Android device. With a few minor glitches in the past year, it just works. It doesn't check the air in my tires or any of those other nice bells and whistles, but it just works at the level I've asked of it.

So here's my question. With the addition shortly of some educational / marketing videos embedded but hosted on another site, suppose I wanted to change from godaddy. How would I move [email protected] to google, being that my email account is packaged with the website? What would be the advantage? What other host would be so much better for what I'm doing with my site? Bear in mind that I'm not selling or quoting on the site.

One rather huge issue is Godaddy randomly marks my email conversations as spam. So if I'm going back and forth often with a particular person, all of a sudden I hit "reply" and cannot send it.

I have also sent out quite a few emails that never reached their destination for no valid reason. Godaddy apparently decides what to send and what not to send.

Since most of my emails are insurance related, I especially have trouble sending emails with certain insurance keywords if there's also a link included.

One rather huge issue is Godaddy randomly marks my email conversations as spam. So if I'm going back and forth often with a particular person, all of a sudden I hit "reply" and cannot send it.

I have also sent out quite a few emails that never reached their destination for no valid reason. Godaddy apparently decides what to send and what not to send.

Since most of my emails are insurance related, I especially have trouble sending emails with certain insurance keywords if there's also a link included.
I haven't experienced the issues you've experienced. The only thing I've questioned in the past with them is if there is a way to verify on their server if an email I sent from Outlook actually was sent, since it doesn't show as "sent" from the web mail page unless you actually sent it from the web. The only solution they gave was to switch from pop3 to imap. Or I can log into web mail and see how many SMTP relays I've used for the day.

But I'd still like to know if moving to google or another host would be a good move, and if so, how much hassle would there be, since my current setup is a package deal.

There will be no hassle moving your mail to google. You can do it yourself or you just need someone with a basic working knowledge on this kind of stuff to help you.

All I know is that every person I have ever spoken with that does know their way around the web says they would never use GoDaddy as their registrar, hosting company or for email. All I have personal experience with is email not getting delivered.

With your issue on not being able to see what is sent in webmail if you send from Outlook when using POP3 will not be an issue with Google, all outgoing mail syncs.

But I'd still like to know if moving to google or another host would be a good move, and if so, how much hassle would there be, since my current setup is a package deal.

A few points in no particular order:

-You can sign up for a gmail account now (or use one if you currently have one) and set that to import all your emails and send and receive them through the godaddy server where everything stays the same, except it's all backed up on google servers and you can still access it business as usual.
-It's hard to say you're getting ripped off for $100/year, but for the same money you could have a better site and more ability to scale it up.
-If you wanted to switch to google apps you can do the first thing I mentioned, then change the MX entry at the server level and point it to the google servers and you'd be off to the races. You don't have to do it that way, but you could.

If you like your site now and are happy with everything, you might as well stay where you're at. On the other hand, for not a lot of money you could get your site converted to wordpress and look nearly identical to the way it does now, but have it much easier to update and have some more bells and whistles on it and the email and web hosting when you get done with that isn't going to be much.

Josh, I found several posts on the web about having godaddy email coming and going through gmail. I do like the fact that I could verify sent email from Outlook by seeing the message in the Sent folder of my gmail web mail.

As to the other things you mentioned, I'm able to change things on the site now without too much trouble, and it publishes the changes virtually immediately. If I wanted to convert to Wordpress, wouldn't I still need a host / registrar for the site and email? If not Godaddy, who is better / more reliable, etc? I may want the site to do more in the future, but today I'm not even sure what the bells and whistles are you refer to.

The email is pretty rad with gmail, if you try setting it up let me know if you have any problems. It can be a touch trixy (godaddy should be able to help with it too), but it's well worth the time, even if it's just to back everything up.

Wordpress will publish nearly instantly. You'd still need to have a registrar (godaddy is fine) and hosting, but you can get hosting for less than you're paying now. I have a reseller account and can do webhosting or you can go through godaddy/hostgator or a list of others and as long as you have a cPanel, it's pretty painless. If you want to play with wordpress a bit I can setup a sandbox instance so you can see how it works. It's not any more tricky than the website tonight must be, but it gives you a lot more flexibility.

godaddy has a link to auto configure your txt and other coding to googleapps settings.

i use google apps for my business email as well, it has a lot of nice little apps for like CRM, unsend email, etc... plus i get them pushed on my phone.

Latest posts

Back