Go Daddy E-mail Account

Any opinion on Fatcow to host? $3.67/month plus a free domain for 24 or 36 months seems realy good. I only want my site for a presence if someone wants to look it up and check me out.

I registered 3 domains at register dot com for $2.97 for all 3 on Friday. Will use google apps for email ( thanks to the wonderful suggestions here), now I just need a host. I have time as I will be Independent instead of captive come Late July early August. Trying to get all my ducks in a row.

i used fatcow a while back, i would recommend AGAINST it.... the servers are really slow, the page takes 2-3 seconds to load everytime you visit. and sometimes its get stuck for 5-10 seconds. its cheap but you get for what you pay.

also they do like a auto renew where if you forget to cancel you wont get refunded, also a refund fee, and a bunch of others things i forgot.

again this is a while back so i cant speak for it now...

i used fatcow a while back, i would recommend AGAINST it.... the servers are really slow, the page takes 2-3 seconds to load everytime you visit. and sometimes its get stuck for 5-10 seconds. its cheap but you get for what you pay.

also they do like a auto renew where if you forget to cancel you wont get refunded, also a refund fee, and a bunch of others things i forgot.

again this is a while back so i cant speak for it now...

Thanls for the info. Who do you use now?

All I see about Wordpress is that it's for blogs. Is there a good site or video tutorial about how to use Wordpress for building a site and then publishing it using Hostgator, etc?

Also, how can I use Wordpress and its themes to closely duplicate the colors I have on my site now?

All I see about Wordpress is that it's for blogs. Is there a good site or video tutorial about how to use Wordpress for building a site and then publishing it using Hostgator, etc?

Also, how can I use Wordpress and its themes to closely duplicate the colors I have on my site now?

A great deal of websites are wordpress, don't get too bogged down with the term blog.

You can find a lot of good stuff on youtube. I'm also planning on doing a webinar: "WordPress: Explain it to me like I'm five". Still working on the title, but I'm going to try to do that towards the end of next week. Once you get it installed and play with it a bit you'll see your different options or you can pay someone to do it for relatively cheap ($100-$200 for everything).

Youtube does have a lot of great stuff as far as tutorials go, but it is pretty user friendly and there is a ton of support at wordpress.org.

A great deal of websites are wordpress, don't get too bogged down with the term blog.

You can find a lot of good stuff on youtube. I'm also planning on doing a webinar: "WordPress: Explain it to me like I'm five". Still working on the title, but I'm going to try to do that towards the end of next week. Once you get it installed and play with it a bit you'll see your different options or you can pay someone to do it for relatively cheap ($100-$200 for everything).

Youtube does have a lot of great stuff as far as tutorials go, but it is pretty user friendly and there is a ton of support at wordpress.org.

Good luck:-) I tried it.

Let me tell you what you're really going to be dealing with - people who don't know what a browser is. People who you'll lose completly just by saying the words "post" and "page." People who don't know what an editor is. People who ask you how to log in, you tell them, a week later they forgot, you tell them, 2 days later they forgot - you tell them, then they can't remember their password.

Thanls for the info. Who do you use now?

I am currently using go daddy because its cheap, but i moved my email to gmail apps.

I host wordpress on godaddy. i dont get that much traffic on my site and im not finished with my new site so i think godaddy is okay for now.

But i've used godaddy for other website where there are alot of traffic, and it gets laggy sometimes.

If you host multiple blogs, you need to add on service to godaddy's basic package to link domains to folders, etc...

i had people recommend hostgator, 1an1, bluehost, and dreamhost, they use it for dedicated servers though so its expensive.

Good luck:-) I tried it.

Let me tell you what you're really going to be dealing with - people who don't know what a browser is. People who you'll lose completly just by saying the words "post" and "page." People who don't know what an editor is. People who ask you how to log in, you tell them, a week later they forgot, you tell them, 2 days later they forgot - you tell them, then they can't remember their password.

Let's face it. We all have skill sets. Some more diverse than others. Some great agents would rather pay someone else to do it for them than take the time to learn how themselves. Why? Because they know how to make money doing what they do best.

I have an insurance agent that takes care of my risks. Why? Because I don't want to mess with buying it online, figuring out what I should/shouldn't have, and, most importantly, I don't want to have to remember another freakin' online password! :biggrin:

Websites, even Wordpress, take real work, and learning a whole new language for some people. The solution, for most people at least, outsource the darn thing. Find a good company to do it effectively, and at a competitive price. The great thing about Wordpress, IMO, is it has drastically reduced the amount a company should have to charge to make a profit. No need for a $10,000+ website anymore!

P.S.
Yes, I run an internet marketing company. No need or shame in hiding it. However, I've got a great background in insurance, too...

Scenario: Website and free email account hosted at Godaddy, and Godaddy is the registrar.

Redo the website and host somewhere else.

Drop the site and attached email account at Godaddy but keep them as registrar.

I assume I can recreate my [email protected] email account with Google even though I closed my email account at Godaddy by redirecting the MX or something to Google?

After all this, the only thing I will use Godaddy for is registration?

That's the gist of it.

If you login to gmail and then have it import all your email from godaddy. Once that's done, you'll have everything backed up.

When you change your host you can either create a new email account in the cpanel and do the same thing again (have it import it to your gmail account) or you can point the MX record at gmails servers for google apps.

Once that's all done all you would need godaddy for is the registration, and you can even save a few bucks and switch to expertsrs.com if you'd like.

Larry, you're spot on.

The only thing I would say is you can still use Godaddy to host your site. I don't find their fees to be out of line. (Beware, they are the king of upselling, though).

You can have anyone build your site. Just need to host it somewhere. Godaddy, Bluehost, Host Gator. Doesn't matter.

One thing I'd caution you on is the use of Gmail for tracking email open rates, etc. You CAN do this, but it takes some skill in writing the email in HTML. If you don't want to learn how to write in HTML, Constant Contact is a pretty good solution.

My company sends out thousands of marketing emails on a monthly basis. Yeah, we could design our own HTML emails, and maybe we will someday. But in the meantime, Constant Contact is super easy. It's all about the cost of time...

Back