Going Door to Door

I would like the problem of 95 degree weather, but the question works the same way in reverse. In Maine I remember commenting on the weather being 13 below zero, now more people might be willing to let you in to be polite and to get out of the cold themselves but actually walking around for a while in that weather does not sound fun.
There's no doubt that both extremes are equally miserable. I dont see how someone can successfully prospect in miserable heat, or freezing cold.

50 degrees would be the perfect canvassing weather for me.

How the heck do you guys handle D2D during the summer heat?? I'm in Florida, and even just standing outside for ten minutes is miserable. Walking the streets would be hellish. Most people who can't take the heat are overweight. That's not my case. I'm in shape and routinely work out. Walking down the streets while wearing a suit in 95 degree weather...I can't even imagine. Within an hour I'd be so sweaty and smelly that noone would want to invite me in or even look at me.

I'm in FL, too and the first thing you should do is lose the suit. Nice shirt and pants with no tie. Most people will judge you on your personality and not much on how you are dressed. But in this heat anyone seeing you in a suit will think you're too crazy to do business with, anyway.

If you cold call with no leads like I do then don't walk the street (especially if you're female). I'll park then do both sides of the street then move down the road a bit.

How the heck do you guys handle D2D during the summer heat?? I'm in Florida, and even just standing outside for ten minutes is miserable. Walking the streets would be hellish. Most people who can't take the heat are overweight. That's not my case. I'm in shape and routinely work out. Walking down the streets while wearing a suit in 95 degree weather...I can't even imagine. Within an hour I'd be so sweaty and smelly that noone would want to invite me in or even look at me.

Last summer was a rough one for me. I walked all day in the heat. Have a handkerchief available (I am bald so my face pours sweat) it will save you.

I'm in FL, too and the first thing you should do is lose the suit. Nice shirt and pants with no tie. Most people will judge you on your personality and not much on how you are dressed. But in this heat anyone seeing you in a suit will think you're too crazy to do business with, anyway.

If you cold call with no leads like I do then don't walk the street (especially if you're female). I'll park then do both sides of the street then move down the road a bit.

What products are you prospecting/selling and do you use a list?

This might help!

I love interviewing successful agents to learn best practices.

Final Expense Door to Door:​

Medicare Supplements Door to Door:

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help!

I love interviewing successful agents to learn best practices.

Final Expense Door to Door:​
Door to Door Video Selling Final Expense Life Insurance - YouTube

Medicare Supplements Door to Door:
Getting Started Selling Medicare Supplements Without Leads, Door-to-Door - YouTube

Thanks Chris,

Good Stuff!

I just did a 2000 piece mail drop with Kramer and plan on calling and/or door knocking all of the non responders.
Going to get my money's worth

I spent the early part of my career door knocking. Of course, there are rude people but they are everywhere!

The key and important fact is that most people are inherently good. Realize this!

Focus on the positive.

No list. I just pick a street and go at it. I only go to homes that have cars in the driveway. You can also tell if the "primary" car is missing or not. If you see what looks like a teenagers car parked on the side and no car in the main driveway I'd probably skip that one.

I just sell life. I have a simple "pitch". I show my license and just say I had some free time and I'm just handing out a few cards...."meeting new people". I don't have a set pitch...and never really know what I'm going to say until the door opens.

I use Google's My Tracks (an older version that allows you to upload to Maps) to keep track of what streets I go to. It's not a good idea to go to the same street you were chased out of by rednecks with a shotgun a few months earlier. :no:

Use humor alot. I had to stop off and an existing clients home today and the lady was outside talking to her mother. Her mother asked me if I meet with people on the weekends. I said I can come by any day except for Sundays during football season. Seems we were both Bucs fans and she walked over to give me a big hug. First time that's happened, I hope she's not bipolar.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what you say or how you dress. All that matters is how comfortable you are talking to complete strangers and how much you can NOT sound like a salesman. Somewhare on here is my complete 'how to' on all this.

Umm...needless to say....stay out of Pork County. :skeptical:

I still go door to door to this day,however, I suggest making things a bit easier on yourself.

Instead of just knocking on every door get a list in a particular zip code and send a simple letter ( addressed by hand) saying that you will be stopping by to give them a free Memorial Guide.

If you time things right the letter will be on their kitchen table when you are knocking.

Simple show them a copy of the letter and say you are here to give them the guide.

Once in go through the guide in detail. As you progress the conversation will lead to a conversation about Final Expense Insurance.

Also be sure to reference all the TV commercials that are airing these days from Colonial Penn and Met Life.

I always ask if they have seen the commercial with Alex Trebek. Almost all will say yes!

Back