Going Door to Door

I disagree. Never try to sell in front of a screen door.

Once inside you can determine if you have something or not.

----------

No list. I just pick a street and go at it. I only go to homes that have cars in the driveway. You can also tell if the "primary" car is missing or not. If you see what looks like a teenagers car parked on the side and no car in the main driveway I'd probably skip that one.

I just sell life. I have a simple "pitch". I show my license and just say I had some free time and I'm just handing out a few cards...."meeting new people". I don't have a set pitch...and never really know what I'm going to say until the door opens.

I use Google's My Tracks (an older version that allows you to upload to Maps) to keep track of what streets I go to. It's not a good idea to go to the same street you were chased out of by rednecks with a shotgun a few months earlier. :no:

Use humor alot. I had to stop off and an existing clients home today and the lady was outside talking to her mother. Her mother asked me if I meet with people on the weekends. I said I can come by any day except for Sundays during football season. Seems we were both Bucs fans and she walked over to give me a big hug. First time that's happened, I hope she's not bipolar.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what you say or how you dress. All that matters is how comfortable you are talking to complete strangers and how much you can NOT sound like a salesman. Somewhare on here is my complete 'how to' on all this.

Umm...needless to say....stay out of Pork County. :skeptical:
You sound like I was many years ago and I do not disagree with you that it works.

However, it is very inexpensive to get a list for each street that tells you if the persons living there are in your demographic.

Also, try sending a pre approach letter (hand addressed) letting them know you will be stopping by with a free Memorial guide.

It works and often they will have the letter on their table when you arrive.

If you send 50 letters every Thursday you will have a definte plan of action.

I disagree. Never try to sell in front of a screen door.

Once inside you can determine if you have something or not.

----------

You sound like I was many years ago and I do not disagree with you that it works.

However, it is very inexpensive to get a list for each street that tells you if the persons living there are in your demographic.

Also, try sending a pre approach letter (hand addressed) letting them know you will be stopping by with a free Memorial guide.

It works and often they will have the letter on their table when you arrive.

If you send 50 letters every Thursday you will have a definte plan of action.

Yea, I even write the app standing on the porch. If you ask nicely they'll sometimes turn around and let me use their back to write on.

Gimmie a break..... the idea is to meet new people and talk insurance. We should all have that goal in mind with the method being whatever we are comfortable with.

No list. I just pick a street and go at it. I only go to homes that have cars in the driveway. You can also tell if the "primary" car is missing or not. If you see what looks like a teenagers car parked on the side and no car in the main driveway I'd probably skip that one.

I just sell life. I have a simple "pitch". I show my license and just say I had some free time and I'm just handing out a few cards...."meeting new people". I don't have a set pitch...and never really know what I'm going to say until the door opens.

I use Google's My Tracks (an older version that allows you to upload to Maps) to keep track of what streets I go to. It's not a good idea to go to the same street you were chased out of by rednecks with a shotgun a few months earlier. :no:

Use humor alot. I had to stop off and an existing clients home today and the lady was outside talking to her mother. Her mother asked me if I meet with people on the weekends. I said I can come by any day except for Sundays during football season. Seems we were both Bucs fans and she walked over to give me a big hug. First time that's happened, I hope she's not bipolar.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what you say or how you dress. All that matters is how comfortable you are talking to complete strangers and how much you can NOT sound like a salesman. Somewhare on here is my complete 'how to' on all this.

Umm...needless to say....stay out of Pork County. :skeptical:

I will be doing the same thing you are except I will know their name and will have a blank copy of the lead card that was sent.
I will mention that we sent this to everybody in town and that they were on my list to contact next and try for an appointment immediately or schedule for the next day.
This approach is for the non responders only and of course I pay for my system.

Yea, I even write the app standing on the porch. If you ask nicely they'll sometimes turn around and let me use their back to write on.

Gimmie a break..... the idea is to meet new people and talk insurance. We should all have that goal in mind with the method being whatever we are comfortable with.

If they're hoarders, you usually have to write the policy on the front porch/steps because they're too embarrassed to let you in.:yes:

If they're hoarders, you usually have to write the policy on the front porch/steps because they're too embarrassed to let you in.:yes:

It's been my experience that when they come outside to talk with you, it's over. That's their way of saying we aren't going to do business.
I'm sure there are exceptions.

It's been my experience that when they come outside to talk with you, it's over. That's their way of saying we aren't going to do business.
I'm sure there are exceptions.

I've had lots of sales outside the house. If they're too embarrassed to let you in, they'll do business on the porch...at the picnic table...I even wrote one in my car, because it was winter and too cold to sit outside.

Have you ever been in a house with newspapers stacked to the ceiling with paths in between(aisles). After you sell them they'll let you in. I pissed one off because I knocked over a stack of magazines, and she never let me in again.:laugh:

I even wrote one in my car...

Same here, but with me it was the neighborhood. If I had gone inside my car would have not been recognizable when I got back. People were wandering around like zombies, so I was glad he wanted to fill out his in my car.

I was already a done deal, though. The wife had already done her app on the other side of town and she told him I was coming and for him fill out his.

Whatever it takes. :yes:

I've had lots of sales outside the house. If they're too embarrassed to let you in, they'll do business on the porch...at the picnic table...I even wrote one in my car, because it was winter and too cold to sit outside. Have you ever been in a house with newspapers stacked to the ceiling with paths in between(aisles). After you sell them they'll let you in. I pissed one off because I knocked over a stack of magazines, and she never let me in again.:laugh:

Yes I have. I took a picture with my phone discreetly and sent it to the guys in the office for a good laugh. They were in awe of my willingness to be presenting amidst such clutter. Lol.
The possibility of picking up bed bugs in homes like that scares the hell out of me!

Yes I have. I took a picture with my phone discreetly and sent it to the guys in the office for a good laugh. They were in awe of my willingness to be presenting amidst such clutter. Lol.
The possibility of picking up bed bugs in homes like that scares the hell out of me!

You have to be careful not to trip over the rats.

What are you doing in their bed?:twitchy:

Back