Going Solo

draconian

Expert
TX
I recently decided to take a dip in a possible career change, however I believe I chose the wrong group of folks to start with when I received my Life License in Texas. I am purposely not mentioning their name as I don't want to name bash on anyone.

I started to feel uncomfortable when they didn't like me learning things on my own specifically about the products. They wanted me to focus on recruiting people even though most people I met have no interest in sales. Instead of being a red flag at first I saw it as a challenge and a way into becoming self employed in the industry.

Now however after being bombarded with religious texts and bible study requests, which I find hypocritical due to the fact they bad mouth former agents, and their disrespect to everyone's previous experience other than that which comes with this company's crusade, I've decided to look elsewhere to better my chances of actually selling products instead of some dream.

A little about my experience:

I am a former telemarketer and former self employed satellite/cell phone salesman in the late 90's, USMC veteran 2001-2006, have college education, I am a landlord, former collections manager, sales manager, general manager, active VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, and current DoD employee trying to ease my way into the insurance industry because I love sales and my current employment is a bit too vulnerable to political agendas so would like to first start out building my business slowly while I work.

A friend of mine said I should go on my own, create a DBA, get my E&O, and contact CRUMP to offer multiple carriers with training. Since I've never done this before is that the best agency to use? Which E&O insurance is friendly to newbies? I am interested in also doing FE from what I've read about it, so what is entailed into also offering that product with life and annuities?

I appreciate your time in regards to my issues. I was glad to find this forum through its iOS App.

Welcome aboard.

I will suggest you post your state and area. There may be opportunities in your area with an agency that will offer training.

I have had Crump for a long time. They have a lot of resources and assets. But training a green recruit in not one of there assets. IMHO. And FE is definitely not in their wheel house.

You can do a lot of FE without E&O. Most traditional Life companies will require it. I would highly recommend getting it. A DBA is not that big a deal. I have one but 95% of my clients would remember it. In a do over I would just use my name.

Side note: Thank you for your service. You and my son served the same years. If I can be of any help just reach out. Lee

I recently decided to take a dip in a possible career change, however I believe I chose the wrong group of folks to start with when I received my Life License in Texas. I am purposely not mentioning their name as I don't want to name bash on anyone.

I started to feel uncomfortable when they didn't like me learning things on my own specifically about the products. They wanted me to focus on recruiting people even though most people I met have no interest in sales. Instead of being a red flag at first I saw it as a challenge and a way into becoming self employed in the industry.

Now however after being bombarded with religious texts and bible study requests, which I find hypocritical due to the fact they bad mouth former agents, and their disrespect to everyone's previous experience other than that which comes with this company's crusade, I've decided to look elsewhere to better my chances of actually selling products instead of some dream.

I am a former telemarketer and former self employed satellite/cell phone salesman in the late 90's, USMC veteran 2001-2006, have college education, I am a landlord, former collections manager, sales manager, general manager, active VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, and current DoD employee trying to ease my way into the insurance industry because I love sales and my current employment is a bit too vulnerable to political agendas so would like to first start out building my business slowly while I work.

A friend of mine said I should go on my own, create a DBA, get my E&O, and contact CRUMP to offer multiple carriers with training. Since I've never done this before is that the best agency to use? Which E&O insurance is friendly to newbies? I am interested in also doing FE from what I've read about it, so what is entailed into also offering that product with life and annuities?

I appreciate your time in regards to my issues. I was glad to find this forum through its iOS App.

Welcome aboard.

I will suggest you post your state and area. There may be opportunities in your area with an agency that will offer training.

I have had Crump for a long time. They have a lot of resources and assets. But training a green recruit in not one of there assets. IMHO. And FE is definitely not in their wheel house.

You can do a lot of FE without E&O. Most traditional Life companies will require it. I would highly recommend getting it. A DBA is not that big a deal. I have one but 95% of my clients would remember it. In a do over I would just use my name.

Side note: Thank you for your service. You and my son served the same years. If I can be of any help just reach out. Lee

Thank you for the kind words and advice. I apologize for not stating my area as I should have thought of that. I currently reside in the San Antonio/Austin area. Should I get the E&O before contacting carriers or after?

Thank you for the kind words and advice. I apologize for not stating my area as I should have thought of that. I currently reside in the San Antonio/Austin area. Should I get the E&O before contacting carriers or after?

I would get it first.

I believe Jeff Root (jroot on the forum) is in your area. Not sure that he is recruiting newbies but he has a solid easy to use term insurance process. For a new guy that does not know all the back office processes and really just needs to get paid I would recommend it as a good starting point on Term insurance.

If I were starting over doing term I would concentrate on 10-20 year convertible. Conversions are like free money.

On FE I defer to the FE guys on here. While I write several a week. It is not my main line.

I would get it first.

I believe Jeff Root (jroot on the forum) is in your area. Not sure that he is recruiting newbies but he has a solid easy to use term insurance process. For a new guy that does not know all the back office processes and really just needs to get paid I would recommend it as a good starting point on Term insurance.

If I were starting over doing term I would concentrate on 10-20 year convertible. Conversions are like free money.

On FE I defer to the FE guys on here. While I write several a week. It is not my main line.
I went ahead and got my E&O insurance today which will be effective 1/28/2013. Is there any marketers similar to CRUMP for FE?

Got my E&O after reading your response. Is there anything like CRUMP for FE? I'm test driving their website now.

You are right in the back yard of one of EFES' top regional managers.....but the religion thing may be an issue again.

So how was the NAA????

Back