Google Site Killer

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
This has been discussed many, many times but wondering if any of you are getting many Google searches? I used to rank high on pg 1 for several terms but now I am down to page 5 and lower.

OTOH, Bing is nice to me but not enough traffic to make it fun.

I do well on Bing for pages that have a Georgia modifier but zippo on Google. Is Google dead for small businesses? Should I stop swimming upstream and focus more on Bing?

I am referencing organic search, not paid.

This has been discussed many, many times but wondering if any of you are getting many Google searches? I used to rank high on pg 1 for several terms but now I am down to page 5 and lower.

OTOH, Bing is nice to me but not enough traffic to make it fun.

I do well on Bing for pages that have a Georgia modifier but zippo on Google. Is Google dead for small businesses? Should I stop swimming upstream and focus more on Bing?

I am referencing organic search, not paid.

Google analytics tells me I am still getting about 3000 visitors a month through Google. The current terms that generate traffic for me though are a little more difficult to convert, however. I also lost visibility for some terms that were better for conversions for me.

Jack, did you ever sign up with a new service? I know you were looking for someone for SEO or PPC a month or so ago.

Jack, did you ever sign up with a new service? I know you were looking for someone for SEO or PPC a month or so ago.

I had hired a firm last July, but the changes they made....removing my backlinks....just made things worse. Will probably have to fire them shortly...Truthfully, I am paralyzed right now. I dont know if anyone can help me, and I will not pay an SEO guy 1000 or 1500 a month just to find out in 6 months they can't help me either.

Anyway, if I can still get 3000 organic visits a month to my site I figure I can still be in business for the immediate future. As long as i still get inquiries I will be ok

Last edited:
Bob - There have been a lot of algorithm updates lately. In my opinion, you really need a professional SEO guy to stay ahead of the game OR spend a lot of time reading the latest SEO blogs and act on what you're reading.

My main site used to get more traffic too, but I'm slowly inching back every month.

Google is an algorithm and any algorithm can be gamed. Feed it what it wants. I can say that it's not all about links anymore. Getting authority links or removing toxic links isn't enough.

Jack - I referred you to my SEO guy who I swear by a couple months ago. I don't refer any more life agents, but you and I are not in the same market so I made the intro. I know you're hesitant, but I highly recommend him. I really like your site and content and think you'd do well, but I completely understand where you're coming from.

Bob - There have been a lot of algorithm updates lately. In my opinion, you really need a professional SEO guy to stay ahead of the game OR spend a lot of time reading the latest SEO blogs and act on what you're reading.

My main site used to get more traffic too, but I'm slowly inching back every month.

Google is an algorithm and any algorithm can be gamed. Feed it what it wants. I can say that it's not all about links anymore. Getting authority links or removing toxic links isn't enough.

Jack - I referred you to my SEO guy who I swear by a couple months ago. I don't refer any more life agents, but you and I are not in the same market so I made the intro. I know you're hesitant, but I highly recommend him. I really like your site and content and think you'd do well, but I completely understand where you're coming from.

Thanks Jeff. I did speak at length with your SEO guy and intended to circle back with him (had a computer crash last october or november though and lost all of his emails and contact info, by the way-so I need his phone number again);

anyway, his plan was to possibly build a new LTC site, but a few weeks after I spoke with him the firm I had hired to fix my site imploded it....so, I had promised them they had until April to fix my rankings...which they won't do....so I guess I will be a free agent in April, and possibly I can speak with your SEO guy in April about working on my site instead of a new site. Just very gun shy now.

anyway, his plan was to possibly build a new LTC site, but a few weeks after I spoke with him the firm I had hired to fix my site imploded it....so, I had promised them they had until April to fix my rankings...which they won't do....so I guess I will be a free agent in April, and possibly I can speak with your SEO guy in April about working on my site instead of a new site. Just very gun shy now.

I have been researching SEO firms & experiences with SEO firms here for the past couple of months. It seems that if you are going to augment an existing site it is best to find someone who has a gameplan to expand and build on what you have already done.

Most SEO horror stories seem to start with "well... they changed a bunch of stuff I had already done... and my traffic went to hell...."

So actually, a brand new site doesnt seem that bad of an idea Jack.
Let the SEO Guru do what he wants with the new site. You keep taking care of the old one.
You probably will not be able to do as much content to the old site as your used to. But it could be a bit of an A/B type test run.

I had hired a firm last July, but the changes they made....removing my backlinks....just made things worse. Will probably have to fire them shortly...Truthfully, I am paralyzed right now. I dont know if anyone can help me, and I will not pay an SEO guy 1000 or 1500 a month just to find out in 6 months they can't help me either.

Anyway, if I can still get 3000 organic visits a month to my site I figure I can still be in business for the immediate future. As long as i still get inquiries I will be ok

Your at the point now, where u need to stop flushing money down the drain on SEO for your main money site. You would be better served by investing into a new premium authority website and invest money into getting that ranked.

----------

If you don't listen to Root, got no sympathy for you-

Your at the point now, where u need to stop flushing money down the drain on SEO for your main money site. You would be better served by investing into a new premium authority website and invest money into getting that ranked.

----------
-

Thank you, YGMM...And just out of curiosity, who would you propose write the content for a brand new premium authority website?

Hard to say what's going on with your rankings, Somarco, without knowing all the details.

The first question that comes to my mind is - How long did it take to move from top spots to page 5?

If it was really fast, I would think an algorithm change hit you. If it was a slow drop over months or years, it may be that you didn't keep up with your SEO work and were simply outranked by fresh websites with better ranking factors.

Back