Google to Sell Insurance

Ha I once said that. I think over half your posts are boo hoo, cry cry cry Google did something.

They launched in California today, will be national in the next coming months. We will see who will be boo hooing very shortly.

Nope, I am going hang in there and make changes as needed, adapt and hopefully stay for the long hall. The ones I feel bad for are the agents like you who are in denial and think all your clients are so loyal they will never leave.

And here in another thread people are discussing how resistant people are to change.

In reality, the truth is somewhere between these two extremes. Sure, there are adaptations for us to make. But it's not a doomsday event either, because let's be honest, the customers you're prone to lose to Google are the ones you either probably don't really want, or would end up losing before long to someone else anyway.

And here in another thread people are discussing how resistant people are to change. In reality, the truth is somewhere between these two extremes. Sure, there are adaptations for us to make. But it's not a doomsday event either, because let's be honest, the customers you're prone to lose to Google are the ones you either probably don't really want, or would end up losing before long to someone else anyway.

Trust me, I hope you are right and I am dead wrong!

Google already has enough people that are "anti-google" that they won't buy based on principle alone.

I dont buy or use Apple products on principle too.

Although, I dont have a choice with the gorilla glass that they have a patent on. It's just a matter or power.

I'm still hoping the face to face agent to consumer interaction is what sells the best.

Many of you PC agents are afraid and you have no reason to be.

I think I speak for a lot of 'us' who are younger than most of you.

I'm not a PC agent.

I don't know beans about auto and home coverage.

None of my contemporaries do either.

We're an online, social media, "what's hot" generation. If something is good we hear about it at the speed of light. If something is bad we 'yelp' about it.

Last week a rock put a huge 'hole' in my windshield. I have AAA auto coverage... for years... ever since college... I also have the agent who sold me the policy. He's an employee of AAA and has been there over ten years and he says he is very happy there and makes a good living while still having time for family.

I call "Jim" and tell him about the rock. He says "Don't worry, I'm on it." That's it. A thirty second phone call. An hour later a woman from Safelite Widshield Repair calls and the next morning Safelite is at my home with a new windshield which took no more than an hour to repair. It cost me $120 out of pocket and AAA paid the rest. There was no (that's right, NO) claim form to fill in.

I don't know for sure but my bet is that I'd have to go through root canal with Flo or The Lizzard. But "Jim" took care of it all... it was effortless and painless.

Here's my point. I'm telling this story to everyone I see. I'll post on FaceBook and Twitter and LinkedIn and on the church chat board and to community leaders and to friends, relatives, and clients... that if you want good service contact "Jim" at Triple A.

Younger people are savvy. We've learned that while buying stuff online is convenient, when there is an issue, it is NOT convenient. I notice a marked trend back to buying from small businesses and the people who work in them.

You PC agents don't even have to market that much. We'll do it for you... but you have to provide solid gold, "bust your butt," 24/7/365, "I'm on it" service.

I bet I can buy car insurance cheaper than AAA. But will I get "Jim?" Will I get an "I'll take care of it" agent who is going to do for me the service that I want (or hope for?) I don't think so.

Stop selling price and start telling people "Yeah you can buy from the lizard, but when you need me, be it in the middle of the night in the middle of a holiday weekend, I'm going to be there for you... not to tell you to call an 800 number... but really BE THERE to 'take care of it' for you."

If some of you folks market a bit 'smarter' you not only meet the competition, but beat the $#@! out of it. It's a lot of work, but once you are known as the 'go to' guy/gal in your area for home/auto coverage you will be "the millionaire next door."

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”
- Aldo Gucci

Many of you PC agents are afraid and you have no reason to be. I think I speak for a lot of 'us' who are younger than most of you. I'm not a PC agent. I don't know beans about auto and home coverage. None of my contemporaries do either. We're an online, social media, "what's hot" generation. If something is good we hear about it at the speed of light. If something is bad we 'yelp' about it. Last week a rock put a huge 'hole' in my windshield. I have AAA auto coverage... for years... ever since college... I also have the agent who sold me the policy. He's an employee of AAA and has been there over ten years and he says he is very happy there and makes a good living while still having time for family. I call "Jim" and tell him about the rock. He says "Don't worry, I'm on it." That's it. A thirty second phone call. An hour later a woman from Safelite Widshield Repair calls and the next morning Safelite is at my home with a new windshield which took no more than an hour to repair. It cost me $120 out of pocket and AAA paid the rest. There was no (that's right, NO) claim form to fill in. I don't know for sure but my bet is that I'd have to go through root canal with Flo or The Lizzard. But "Jim" took care of it all... it was effortless and painless. Here's my point. I'm telling this story to everyone I see. I'll post on FaceBook and Twitter and LinkedIn and on the church chat board and to community leaders and to friends, relatives, and clients... that if you want good service contact "Jim" at Triple A. Younger people are savvy. We've learned that while buying stuff online is convenient, when there is an issue, it is NOT convenient. I notice a marked trend back to buying from small businesses and the people who work in them. You PC agents don't even have to market that much. We'll do it for you... but you have to provide solid gold, "bust your butt," 24/7/365, "I'm on it" service. I bet I can buy car insurance cheaper than AAA. But will I get "Jim?" Will I get an "I'll take care of it" agent who is going to do for me the service that I want (or hope for?) I don't think so. Stop selling price and start telling people "Yeah you can buy from the lizard, but when you need me, be it in the middle of the night in the middle of a holiday weekend, I'm going to be there for you... not to tell you to call an 800 number... but really BE THERE to 'take care of it' for you." If some of you folks market a bit 'smarter' you not only meet the competition, but beat the $#@! out of it. It's a lot of work, but once you are known as the 'go to' guy/gal in your area for home/auto coverage you will be "the millionaire next door." “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” - Aldo Gucci

Well put. I guess we will know soon enough if good old quality service, being local and having a relationship with your agent holds up these days.

Here is my response to the Google issue.

Google to Sell Auto Insurance, Death of the Local Agent?
Since the announcement this week from Google about venturing in the Auto Insurance market, many of my colleagues and clients wanted to know if I am concerned. I responded with a resounding “No”. How could I be so confident when Google is one of the largest companies in the world, billions to throw towards this market, and the largest search engine in world? Two words come to mind Promise, and Trust. Google, or any other Direct Insurance Carrier, no matter how much money they invest, cannot sell a promise or trust. A local insurance agent can sell these two things because their livelihood depends on it. A promise is a guarantee that I will advise a client about the best coverages they should have, be by their side in the event of a claim, and be their advocate if necessary. Do you think in your time of need, that a service center hundreds or thousands miles away will have the same level of concern? No, because you don’t have an identity, you are just a policy number, and a premium. Trust is earned through the relationship, my clients know that I always have their interests first, not the Insurance Carrier’s, or my own. When you have a great local agent, we are your friends, your confidant, and your advisor. Clients have an identity with a local agent. You can sit across our desks, when you need us the most, and you know we will deliver. This is what the local agent model is built on. If we cannot provide a promise, and gain your trust, we cannot compete with companies like Google. Google sees you as a profit to satisfy their stockholders, and data that could be potentially mined and sold to other “affiliated” retailers. They are promoting that you can shop multiple carriers, and find the best price. Most people believe that using a local agent is more expensive than going to a direct carrier. This is also false. You can use a local agent to find a great price, and have access to an experienced agent that will represent you in your time of need. Google and the Internet did not, and will not kill the local agent. This competition made us adapt, and become stronger than ever before. So I ask of you, are you ready to place protecting your assets, yourself, and your family in the hands of Google? If not, your local agent will be here with a promise, and ready to earn your trust.

Here is my response to the Google issue. Google to Sell Auto Insurance, Death of the Local Agent? Since the announcement this week from Google about venturing in the Auto Insurance market, many of my colleagues and clients wanted to know if I am concerned. I responded with a resounding “No”. How could I be so confident when Google is one of the largest companies in the world, billions to throw towards this market, and the largest search engine in world? Two words come to mind Promise, and Trust. Google, or any other Direct Insurance Carrier, no matter how much money they invest, cannot sell a promise or trust. A local insurance agent can sell these two things because their livelihood depends on it. A promise is a guarantee that I will advise a client about the best coverages they should have, be by their side in the event of a claim, and be their advocate if necessary. Do you think in your time of need, that a service center hundreds or thousands miles away will have the same level of concern? No, because you don’t have an identity, you are just a policy number, and a premium. Trust is earned through the relationship, my clients know that I always have their interests first, not the Insurance Carrier’s, or my own. When you have a great local agent, we are your friends, your confidant, and your advisor. Clients have an identity with a local agent. You can sit across our desks, when you need us the most, and you know we will deliver. This is what the local agent model is built on. If we cannot provide a promise, and gain your trust, we cannot compete with companies like Google. Google sees you as a profit to satisfy their stockholders, and data that could be potentially mined and sold to other “affiliated” retailers. They are promoting that you can shop multiple carriers, and find the best price. Most people believe that using a local agent is more expensive than going to a direct carrier. This is also false. You can use a local agent to find a great price, and have access to an experienced agent that will represent you in your time of need. Google and the Internet did not, and will not kill the local agent. This competition made us adapt, and become stronger than ever before. So I ask of you, are you ready to place protecting your assets, yourself, and your family in the hands of Google? If not, your local agent will be here with a promise, and ready to earn your trust.

Do I think all agents are going to fade away into the night? No. Do I think Google and whoever else gets in the game, ie: Amazon is going to impact the IA channel, absolutely. If I was to bet all of my savings, my guess is 5 years from now there will be 75% less personal lines agencies. I think most brokers will have to specialize and diversify. The personal lines agencies that are still remaining will probably crush it.

The unfortunate thing about personal insurance these days is the vast majority of consumers purchase on price. We all know, you can always find a cheaper policy if you look long enough. Soon or later all the carriers will be available on Google. I would not be surprised is Allstate and State Farm caves and starts working with Google once they start losing market share.

I hope to god I am wrong because I do love this industry and I know an good agent makes a world of difference for their clients when they need us the most.

I've been mulling this development around in my head for a while, and all I have to contribute is this.

1) Adapt or die.
2) Worry about your business, not the competition.
3) Due your diligence and learn from the competition, without worrying about them.

Google will probably broaden the reach of the online-shopping market for insurance, which is good. When people have a claim they run through their agent, they learn how valuable the agency model is. The clients that purchase online and have a claim will likely talk to an agent in some form or another, possibly be googling agents that represent that company, in the future.

Get your online live-quote portals up (I'm working on mine), keep true to your values of service and honesty (you do have those, right?) and you'll be just fine.

We posted an article yesterday about "Google Compare":

“’Google Compare’…The Latest ‘Apples to Apples’ Auto Insurance Comparison Illusion”
Virtual University -

For related articles, go to our resource area:

“Is Insurance a Commodity?”
Virtual University - Is Insurance a Commodity?

And we are offering a 3-hour webinar on March 25:

“Competing with Direct Sales/Online Insurers in Personal Lines”
Education Webinars - Competing with Direct Sales & Captive Agency Insurers in Personal (and Commercial) Lines

Back