Gotta Love this Business

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Spoke to a T65 last week and did the normal. She called in...asking for help... Responding to some letters...etc.

Tight budget, but she liked the sups more than MAPD and told me about 6xs how much she appreciated everything and how well I explained things.

We were so close to 10/1, we decided to do a call today (Wednesday's work well for her work schedule) to get the PDP finalized and do an enrollment in both. $10 to $15 change in med copays will make the difference between whether she picks G or N. Like I said...tight budget... No big deal to wait a few days.

I call today, and within 15 seconds she said that she "will have nothing to do with someone taking money out of her social security check."

I was a tad confused by what she meant by it, and asked her to clarify, and she read from her notes what I told her about Part B costing $104.90.

She said, "Medicare is free, I don't know what you are trying to pull. Out of all my friends and from people who help with Medicare (referring to OSHIP), no one, NO ONE is paying anything for Medicare. How could 15 people that I talked to be wrong, and you be right?"

I started to ask if, perhaps, these people have Medicaid to help pay and...click.

I rarely lose prospects once I get them engaged in conversation. It's very rare these days...

But conversations like these make me so glad that I transitioned to phone sales. What a waste of time it would have been if, not only had I gone through material with her, but if I had also driven out to her.

I simply wrote a brief letter, printed a page off Medicare.gov, and moved on with my day. If she calls again, fine, but it's nice to not feel like you wasted half of a day on a prospect who isn't that bright.

It's crazy how you can transition from "such a great help" to "scam artist" in one week. Ha! (Boy will she be surprised if she doesn't listen to me, though, when they take her part b premium out of her check...)

{
}

Spoke to a T65 last week and did the normal. She called in...asking for help... Responding to some letters...etc.

Tight budget, but she liked the sups more than MAPD and told me about 6xs how much she appreciated everything and how well I explained things.

We were so close to 10/1, we decided to do a call today (Wednesday's work well for her work schedule) to get the PDP finalized and do an enrollment in both. $10 to $15 change in med copays will make the difference between whether she picks G or N. Like I said...tight budget... No big deal to wait a few days.

I call today, and within 15 seconds she said that she "will have nothing to do with someone taking money out of her social security check."

I was a tad confused by what she meant by it, and asked her to clarify, and she read from her notes what I told her about Part B costing $104.90.

She said, "Medicare is free, I don't know what you are trying to pull. Out of all my friends and from people who help with Medicare (referring to OSHIP), no one, NO ONE is paying anything for Medicare. How could 15 people that I talked to be wrong, and you be right?"

I started to ask if, perhaps, these people have Medicaid to help pay and...click.

I rarely lose prospects once I get them engaged in conversation. It's very rare these days...

But conversations like these make me so glad that I transitioned to phone sales. What a waste of time it would have been if, not only had I gone through material with her, but if I had also driven out to her.

I simply wrote a brief letter, printed a page off Medicare.gov, and moved on with my day. If she calls again, fine, but it's nice to not feel like you wasted half of a day on a prospect who isn't that bright.

It's crazy how you can transition from "such a great help" to "scam artist" in one week. Ha! (Boy will she be surprised if she doesn't listen to me, though, when they take her part b premium out of her check...)

{
}

Her friends are experts when it comes to Medicare. Either they have Medicaid(or some type of assistance) like you started to ask her...or they've had the Part B premium coming out of their check from the beginning and never realized it. If you don't see it, you don't miss it.

{
}
:err Oh you didn't know? Being a licensed and certified insurance professional means nothing compared to the input from her friend Janice. Medicare is water cooler talk, great for referrals and spreading bad information...

It's all in the terminology.

The terminology we use to explain stuff isn't necessarily the same meaning when Janice says the word "Medicare"

We may mean part B and Janice may mean MAPD maybe $0, Maybe 2 years ago she got a bad MA plan with a premium coming out of SS. Maybe now she feels she is smart because she has better with no money coming out of SS for the MA plan. And she call the MA plan Medicare,

And the part B well that just is and doesn't even think about that, Therefore does not end up in conversation

Either way, once friends and family get involved, If the word meanings differ than what the word should mean. Then it is not a good conversation if the client won't be open enough to have a reasonable conversation

Maybe if you met her in person you would have built a bond and she would have trusted you instead of doing it over the phone and she thought you were scamming her? Sometimes face to face does have it's advantages but you are right it can take a little more time.

Last edited:
Maybe if you met her in person you would have build a bond and she would have trusted you instead of doing it over the phone and she thought you were scamming her? Sometimes face to face does have it's advantages but you are right it can take a little more time.

That is possible - I'll give you that. In the end, I'd rather lose a few for the sake of efficiency.

----------

Either way, once friends and family get involved, If the word meanings differ than what the word should mean. Then it is not a good conversation if the client won't be open enough to have a reasonable conversation

I agree. The part that surprised me (it shouldn't have!) was how quickly I went from "the most helpful person" to "the incompetent scammer." And, how quickly she went from being a great prospect to a bad prospect.

The great thing about this business is - we can quickly (within minutes) move on to the next person.

I had an fe tele lead like that a couple weeks ago...she said at the door she didn't want FE, but rather med sup info, and did not appreciate me knocking, to call her up

So I called the next day and gave her an Aetna quote, and she says oh, I can get that info online

I asked, so you can get med sup quotes online without being an agent?

No, but I have a friend in the insurance business and she looks it up for me

Whatever click!

Latest posts

Back