Great questions to ask a company in interview?

Sodapopp

Expert
Wherher a captive or independent agency,as a new agent what are good questions to ask to find out if company is a right fit for me? Thanks for any and all help.

P&C or L&H?

What market do you see yourself succeeding in?
What market do you have ACCESS to?
(Those were two different questions.)

What problems do you see yourself solving for that market?
Or do you just want to be a person who hopes to win business by quoting lower than what they already have?

I know it's hard to answer these questions before you're licensed and get started, but this is the kind of thinking you need long-term.

Insurance is different than any other career. Either you work for the company or the company is partnering with you for your business of building a clientele.

If you are working for the company with THEIR objectives, then they should be paying you a salary. For example: If a company wants you to focus SOLELY on business owner planning, and NOT with anything else, then they should be paying you for your time and to train you to do what THEY want you to do.

If you already have a mental game plan (even better is a written business plan) and you want a company to place most of your business with, you need a rich commission schedule and other support to help you with YOUR plan. At that point, you're looking for compatibility in a partnership, not a job.

Note: The ones who have their own plans in mind are far clearer in who they should partner with and have a greater vision of their success than those who end up helping a company with 'their' goals/objectives.

Thanks for your comment but I was really looking for questions to ask in a interview about the company Like rates? If they pay a base or is it also a loan? Things like that. Some of your stuff was insightful though. Thank you

Asking if there is a base or a loan suggests you don't know much about the position. You should have a pretty good idea about this going in.

For a commission position, I would simply ask. Why you?

You could spend days on that one question alone.

Asking if there is a base or a loan suggests you don't know much about the position. You should have a pretty good idea about this going in.

For a commission position, I would simply ask. Why you?

You could spend days on that one question alone.

Not true at all if I don’t have the commission structure they obviously didn’t lay it out. Thanks

Not true at all if I don’t have the commission structure they obviously didn’t lay it out. Thanks

Going into an interview, you should have a pretty good idea if it is commission only or a salary/hourly position. If you don't know that, then either you didn't do any research or the company is trying very hard to hide how they pay. Neither is good.

Thanks for your comment but I was really looking for questions to ask in a interview about the company Like rates? If they pay a base or is it also a loan? Things like that. Some of your stuff was insightful though. Thank you

I quote.

So yes, you did ask that. And were I interviewing you, it would be clear you knew nothing about my company and the position.

Instead, I gave you a great question to ask, one that will put you in the driver's seat in the interview.

Don't come and ask questions if you don't want honest answers.

I answered his question precisely, but I don't think he understood what he really asked.

Wherher a captive or independent agency,as a new agent what are good questions to ask to find out if company is a right fit for me? Thanks for any and all help.

Lol. He's looking for an easy "deal" of a job, rather than figuring out a long-term career. He's looking for a short-cut to success rather than answering the harder and more insightful questions that I asked him.

It will show up in his interviews, and (if hired) in his long-term career.

I answered his question precisely, but I don't think he understood what he really asked.

Lol. He's looking for an easy "deal" of a job, rather than figuring out a long-term career. He's looking for a short-cut to success rather than answering the harder and more insightful questions that I asked him.

It will show up in his interviews, and (if hired) in his long-term career.

I admit I skimmed your response. But otherwise I agree with what you said.

Also, I get his desire to make sure it is a good fit, which is why I told him to ask what I did.

Knowing what I now know the hard way, I'd make any recruiter sell me on them. These guys try to treat it like a normal job interview, which it isn't.

Back