Has Anyone Used Dragon Speech Recognition Software?

heartburn

Expert
Has anyone used Dragon Speech Recognition Software? I am thinking of getting it and would like some feedback on how well it works? Or how you have used it to be more productive?

Crabcake Johnny said:
I use it to compose longer emails on my iphone. Scary how accurate it is.

I was using on my iPhone in Owensboro, KY to make sure a deaf guy could read along as I was talking.

Every time I said Owensboro it typed I want a girl.

Maybe I did...but it didn't have to tell everybody.

I was using on my iPhone in Owensboro, KY to make sure a deaf guy could read along as I was talking.

Every time I said Owensboro it typed I want a girl.

Maybe I did...but it didn't have to tell everybody.

I can just imagine you in that situation! Too funny! :D

Problem with speech recognition software is that you don't speak the way you write. Not sure why this is, but it takes a while to train yourself to talk the same you you think when you write.

And saying the punctuation is a bit different....

I use it a lot on my phone (don't think its dragon, but same concept) but that is for short statements. Even there, its sometimes funny with what it comes up with and frustrating with what it won't come up with!!!!

Dan

Problem with speech recognition software is that you don't speak the way you write. Not sure why this is, but it takes a while to train yourself to talk the same you you think when you write.

And saying the punctuation is a bit different....

I use it a lot on my phone (don't think its dragon, but same concept) but that is for short statements. Even there, its sometimes funny with what it comes up with and frustrating with what it won't come up with!!!!

Dan

Speech is always less formal than written language. When you speak, you really don't have the opportunity to compose and revise your words. This is why texting is so bad. It is more a stream of consciousness like speech versus written language. Unfortunately, so many younger people think that the language they use to text is acceptable for other forms of written communication.

I use it to write all my content on my network of websites. I think out loud and let dragon get it all on paper and then I organize my thoughts into an article. Really cuts down on the time I spend producing my own content.

Has anyone used Dragon Speech Recognition Software? I am thinking of getting it and would like some feedback on how well it works? Or how you have used it to be more productive?

I've been using the basic most version for about a year.

It works pretty well but some of the stuff it comes up with is frustrating. Also, if you have any speech impediments it's going to rough to use. I had Bell's Palsey a few years ago, have some residual numbness to the left side of my face which makes my speech a bit slurred at times. It then becomes quicker to type on those days.

But if you have clear diction, then it's a fantastic tool.

I'd really suggest starting with the cheap version and if it suites the bill, upgrade to a fuller version down the line.

Back