Health Sherpa

Interesting thread to say the least.

Can someone enlighten me on how the appointment process works and how commissions are paid? Example: if a client of mine is sent thru my link(npn#)
and sign up, how am I paid? Do I have to be appointed with all the carriers
listed on Sherpa?

Interesting thread to say the least.

Can someone enlighten me on how the appointment process works and how commissions are paid? Example: if a client of mine is sent thru my link(npn#)
and sign up, how am I paid? Do I have to be appointed with all the carriers
listed on Sherpa?

Be advised...if you haven't been selling on exchange, now is not the time to get into this business.

Understand I'm not being mean...I'm being honest. This whole thing is about to change and it make no sense allocating resources to this adventure at this time.

It's either the gettin is good and nobody wants additional competition, or
it's not worth the time, effort and money!

Does anyone want to come clean? lol

It's either the gettin is good and nobody wants additional competition, or
it's not worth the time, effort and money!

Does anyone want to come clean? lol

It's not worth the time, effort and money.

The comp sucks..carriers are unpredictable and you're going to get screwed without a kiss.

Clear enough?

Agreed. I'm already telling some clients I will not likely be around next year.

Here is an idea of what it's been like with just one carrier here in NC. Sadly that carrier is VERY competitive around NC:

- Right before AEP, Humana pulls out of FFM. Carrier drops commission by 10%.
- Mid November, Carrier does not like how things are looking, drops comp by 76% (to 2% of premium)
- Mid December, Carrier drops comp again, now from 2% to 0% for business after 1/1/16.
- On 1/5/16, Carrier broker service tell me they were wrong on the grace period (clients could pay by 1/31 and keep 1/1/16 eff date). New date is 1/1, policies will be cancelled this week at some point, but you can write your clients for 2/1 or 3/1 and get 0% comp. Carrier Billing dept says payments are due by 1/15. Who knows what is correct.
- 1/6, now broker service tells us that the payment deadline is 1/9/16 to keep 1/1 eff date. Plan terminate for non pay will start next week.

Now imagine each carrier having issues with billing, issuing cards, taking payments, payment website crashing, hold times of 1-2 hours. Clients are freaking out calling/emailing/texting about not being able to make payments, get meds, get cards, make appts, etc.

It's like you are blindfolded and fighting multiple people; meanwhile the other guys are punching you like crazy....

Yeah, come on in. You might find yourself all alone next AEP...You might be famous..the only health broker left in the business.

Here is an idea of what it's been like with just one carrier here in NC. Sadly that carrier is VERY competitive around NC:

- Mid November, Carrier does not like how things are looking, drops comp by 76% (to 2% of premium)
- Mid December, Carrier drops comp again, now from 2% to 0% for business after 1/1/16.
- On 1/5/16, Carrier broker service tell me they were wrong on the grace period (clients could pay by 1/31 and keep 1/1/16 eff date). New date is 1/1, policies will be cancelled this week at some point, but you can write your clients for 2/1 or 3/1 and get 0% comp. Carrier Billing dept says payments are due by 1/15. Who knows what is correct.
- 1/6, now broker service tells us that the payment deadline is 1/9/16 to keep 1/1 eff date. Plan terminate for non pay will start next week.

Now imagine each carrier having issues with billing, issuing cards, taking payments, payment website crashing, hold times of 1-2 hours. Clients are freaking out calling/emailing/texting about not being able to make payments, get meds, get cards, make appts, etc.

It's like you are blindfolded and fighting multiple people; meanwhile the other guys are punching you like crazy....

Yeah, come on in. You might find yourself all alone next AEP...You might be famous..the only health broker left in the business.

Yep, and our other carrier is having similar issues. Drafted everyones account for the wrong amount, says not to expect cards til mid january, broker line has went to a busy signal for 4 straight days.

I m almost 100% decided that future health sales for me will be from a temporary number, and at the end of the call, will direct them to call the carrier direct with any questions. Falling commissions, increased service time, and the ease of acquiring new customers make it too easy to sell several a day, throw it against a wall, and see what sticks, without all of the carrier induced headaches.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Back