Here's my Break Up Email To Client..Too Much?

Well today the rat bast*rd called the office a few times. We have VOIP phones so I can see the number and he hungup 2x when I answered. He called back and got my csr...who he apologized too. She sent his insurance documents (again..) and he can deal w/ the DMV on his own.

I teeter back & forth on this. Yes..in the bigger pictures there's no good that can come from this (besides the fact that a fellow man realized I called his @$$ out and he backed down.) As a former wrestler for all my life, that domination matters to me. It's tangible & I can reach out & touch it. But from a business perspective, it wasn't the most professional play.

That being said..I've advanced myself in my career by not necessarily being the most professional, but being incredibly passionate about winning at all costs and stomping over people in the process. I have plenty of past people I've crossed paths w/ who I know hate me...but I know they look up to my success & respect what I've built. Better to be loved or hated?

I'll most likely get burned one day by my ways, but how much did I build in the process? I will again submit that this man was literally a complete anomly & I know full well that if ANY of you are true men you would have called this punk out too. He literally berated my gentle CSR and only a true POS is capable of acting like a tuff guy on the phone to a girl!

No need to trample the poop, just step around it and let someone else pick it up.
You're not here to change the world, help people, or get your needs met, you're here to make money.
LOL
And yeah- if scandals teach us anything it's never put it in writing! No text, no email and no social media! :)

^bahahah from my posts you may think that! I'm khacki shorts & golf shirt all day w/ sneakers..

This man is a complete waste of life & I do hope he gets aids.

Really? You hope he gets aids? Why would you wish that upon someone? The guy wasted your time and verbally assaulted a girl and you want him to get aids? You're one twisted dude.

I complete disagree with the way you handled it. I'm shocked honestly, as a fellow independent that that is how you would call out your customer regardless of what they have done to you.

First, sounds like you've read a lot of 50 Laws of Power and Machiavelli. Great stance to take, nothing wrong with being hard, but by upholding professionalism you maintain power, which is what your goal is. You sacrifice power when you drop to the stupidity of your customer. Second, you sound very immature when you describe a former or current client as someone who should die of AIDS. I hate reading that, its terrible, and it brings down your own character (regardless of how tough skinned you describe yourself as. Show some class).

Stop worrying about your baby doll CSR. She signed up for it. She is doing her job. This is not an anomaly. Your problem is that you were not adequately prepared for her to handle such a case by either a) having a system in place where she could get off the phone by either referring her to you directly b) hanging up. Fix your systems, fix your problems. Or it will happen again.

What your client needs is help, guidance, not a personal attack of everything he did wrong. This is how non-standard customers work. Not every customer is going to be a grade A client for SafeCo, Hartford, Travelers, MetLife with perfect credit.

Lastly, I'll leave you with some wisdom from Seth Godin. There will be naysayers and haters and people that disagree with everything you do. You can waste your time trying to convince them to join your side, or you can focus on the people that matter. You never dumb down a speech so everyone in the audience, because not everyone in the audience matters. You lose those who matter when you take time to dumb down the speech for the masses. What I'm saying here is that you're losing time you could focus on your valuable customers by dealing with him.

I suggest reading The Pumpkin Plan. Business is like growing pumpkins. To grow the prized pumpkin, sometimes you have to cut out a lot of the other pumpkins who are sucking out the nutrients from the soil. Just fire your customer.

Instead, you berated him, insulted him, explained how he was irresponsible (when you should have guided your misinformed consumer - seriously, why do you expect so much out of people?) AND THEN INVITED HIM BACK INTO YOUR OFFICE! You actually defeated yourself here by giving him another opportunity... so much for Mr. Tough Guy.

Good luck sorting that out, I'll be busy picking off your preferred customers because they haven't heard from you in a while.

Sincerely,

Another independent

Back