Hitting Your Goal and Clocking Out

Depending on your IMO, there can be a lot of pressure to be a top performer. It's not because they're greedy, they just don't want you to fail. It's natural to want to please your superiors, so you strive to meet the goals they've set for you. You also pressure yourself because you need to prove to yourself that you can do this. But second year burnout is a real thing after pushing so hard to make it in the first year, especially if you're getting chargebacks that you have to salvage or outwrite before you make any new money. Hang in there, though! You'll find your rhythm and learn to pace yourself in a way that fits your own lifestyle and goals.

Exactly - I put pressure on myself to preform as well as pressure from the up line .thanks for helping me see that insight...

I’m
Not stressed about money - ive written enough business to be very profitable. I’ve been a top producer in the organization I am in.

I’m working on a plan to create work life balance . Thanks for the reply

You can definitely hit the $30,000 goal with doing a 1,000 piece drop. You have proven you can work hard and write business.

Have you ever done a 1,000 piece drop in your area? Do you know a rough average for that area? If it is a good number, then you will be ok!

So many agents let one chargeback or one bad week change their mindset. Just stay positive and work hard, and you will make your goal easily!

Here's to a great 2018!

Judging by your comments, you seem like you're not passionate about selling insurance and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you are working at a mission you sound like you are passionate about serving others and helping people which is admirable.

I know a few agents who grinded in the insurance game for a few years, stored up enough cash and then went on to start other businesses or endeavors that they were passionate about.

My advice to you would be make sure you have rainy day money stored just in case your plan doesn' work out and just look around for an agent who is selling insurance at the pace that you would like to see if you can pattern what they are doing. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

I’m just recently feeling motivated again after a burnout....

I started the Fe business 2 years ago.... I quit my job the week of thanksgiving, 2015. Started running leads January 2016. I ran as hard as I could ( I had to, I had $0 in my bank and a new born). I wrote well over 200k in the past 2 years and saved more than I’ve ever had.....although I never thought about the “cost” of being successful in this business. I was running 20 leads a week and just pushing myself to exhaustion.

September/ October of this year I stopped my lead flow and couldn’t pick my phone up when any clients would call. I thought I’d never desire to come back to this business.

Currently I am working on a plan to start dropping leads in January and starting the “grind” again in feb.... rather than 20 leads per week I am going to be dropping 1000 mailers per week and seeing what happens. I plan on working 2-3 days per week (mainly dking) and aiming for 3-4 apps per week rather than 6-7.

My only hesitation, at this point, is sustainability. Long term sustainability. I have never done this business any other way other than 20 leads per week,(typically less because of the returns ) at 3.5 days in the field. 4.5 days when I was starting out....

My schedule is going to be different because I am going to be working part time at a local mission helping out the FE demographic in a different way as well as selling FE.

My goal is much different than it was when I started this business. My goal is to profit $30,000 In a year (on new business, after expenses and taxes). That, in correlation with my renewals and tiny pay from the mission, will be enough to live and save some money.

I’m hoping spreading my week out and downsizing my FE activity will help keep balance in my life. I guess we will see

I’m not looking to hijack this thread, but feel free to comment on your thoughts about this plan. Especially those of you who have been doing this long term.

Good to see you back on the forums Ken and I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Mission work sounds as if it will be very fulfilling, good luck!

You can definitely hit the $30,000 goal with doing a 1,000 piece drop. You have proven you can work hard and write business.

Have you ever done a 1,000 piece drop in your area? Do you know a rough average for that area? If it is a good number, then you will be ok!

So many agents let one chargeback or one bad week change their mindset. Just stay positive and work hard, and you will make your goal easily!

Here's to a great 2018!

Thanks Ben. I’m determined. I’ve never dropped my own mail. The lead card im running is about 1-1.5% return from what I’m told. It says easily affordable life insurance on it. So we will see .

Good to see you back on the forums Ken and I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Mission work sounds as if it will be very fulfilling, good luck!
Thanks - I’ve worked at the mission before multiple times in my life. It’s tough work - we rebuild homes and fix homes for the same demographic as our FE clients. I truly Feel lead here and I am at peace with where things are going.

Depending on your IMO, there can be a lot of pressure to be a top performer. It's not because they're greedy, they just don't want you to fail. It's natural to want to please your superiors, so you strive to meet the goals they've set for you. You also pressure yourself because you need to prove to yourself that you can do this. But second year burnout is a real thing after pushing so hard to make it in the first year, especially if you're getting chargebacks that you have to salvage or outwrite before you make any new money. Hang in there, though! You'll find your rhythm and learn to pace yourself in a way that fits your own lifestyle and goals.

At ours (FexContracting) the focus is to hit goal and then stop. That’s always been Travis’s way to operate. When I was out in the field I was always out there six days a week. I just never knew there was any other way.
I guess the best way to do it is to try to hit goal as early in the week as possible and then just assess yourself to see if you feel like working anymore or not. If you prefer to take time off at that point take it off. If you’re having fun and want to keep going keep going. But you do have to avoid burning yourself out.
I did an audio interview with one of our top agents yesterday and this is one of the things that we discussed during that interview. I’ll put it up on YouTube and post a link sometime next week.

Judging by your comments, you seem like you're not passionate about selling insurance and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you are working at a mission you sound like you are passionate about serving others and helping people which is admirable.

I know a few agents who grinded in the insurance game for a few years, stored up enough cash and then went on to start other businesses or endeavors that they were passionate about.

My advice to you would be make sure you have rainy day money stored just in case your plan doesn' work out and just look around for an agent who is selling insurance at the pace that you would like to see if you can pattern what they are doing. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

I’m passionate about helping people - I am very good at selling final expense insurance . The people need an honest agent to help them out. I can’t just put my head in the sand and ignore the call. So I’ll do my best to help where I am needed and provide for my family ....

As far as savings, yes, I agree. I’m in a fine place financially.

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate your help.

At ours (FexContracting) the focus is to hit goal and then stop. That’s always been Travis’s way to operate. When I was out in the field I was always out there six days a week. I just never knew there was any other way.
I guess the best way to do it is to try to hit goal as early in the week as possible and then just assess yourself to see if you feel like working anymore or not. If you prefer to take time off at that point take it off. If you’re having fun and want to keep going keep going. But you do have to avoid burning yourself out.
I did an audio interview with one of our top agents yesterday and this is one of the things that we discussed during that interview. I’ll put it up on YouTube and post a link sometime next week.

I’d love to listen to the interview - I was taught the same thing - something like ...”the only way to be successful is by being out every day touching every door” ....

One of my last conversations, right around November, with my
Upline went something like this .

Me: I’ve already written over 100k - I need to take a break
Upline: you coulda wrote 150...

It’s nice to see there are other ways of working this business and making it work without working to death.

I’d love to listen to the interview - I was taught the same thing - something like ...”the only way to be successful is by being out every day touching every door” ....

One of my last conversations, right around November, with my
Upline went something like this .

Me: I’ve already written over 100k - I need to take a break
Upline: you coulda wrote 150...

It’s nice to see there are other ways of working this business and making it work without working to death.
Only you can decide what you are satisfied with and only you can set the goal of what you consider success... Nicely tell your upline to get of your case .. and if he doesn't tell him harshly. If that doesn't work, find another upline. ..

Back