How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestions?

Re: How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestio

Perhaps it would be better if the government opened free clinics for those who cannot afford insurance can receive care. Might not be the same care as those who can pay (or have insurance), but it would be care just the same.

Or better yet, how about all those churches and other charities do this JUST LIKE THEY DID BEFORE THE FEDS TOOK OVER WITH THEIR WELFARE PROGRAMS.

Rick

Unless HHS requires companies to offer child only you are going to see companies shy away from even offering such coverage. At best they will offer for 30 days a year in an open enrollment period or as permissible under state law.

Even if carriers do offer such coverage on child only it will be expensive and non commissionsble.

No one wants GI children with no pre ex and no mandate. Imagine that.

I agree with John about the term 'access," Federal Law currently requires only stabilization in an emergency situation. After that is accomplished and you can't pay, it's bye, bye. You're outa here!

But that doesn't work most of the time, because most of the time, medical bills are just office visits. My kids have to go to the doctor every few months for checkups. Each one of those are a few hundred dollars. I doubt they're going to drop those charges.

Other thing that is frustrating is dental and vision too. My 3 year old hasn't been to the dentist yet. I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford to have her go. Our 8 year old has been a few times.

Back in the day, my parents had awesome insurance. No deductible, $10 copay, dental, vision, etc. Those benefits are almost extinct these days and I can't figure out if everyone now is just letting their teeth rot out of their heads or what?

A few hundred for a routine office visit seems way off. If you're really getting charged that much then you must be seeing doctors who are not in the network covered by your insurance. Unless the insurer is some fly-by-night outfit no one has ever heard of, you should be seeing an in-network doctor and paying about $70.

You might also have preventive care built into your plan and covered--but only in-network.

Maybe consider putting your kids on their own individual policies? No the monthly cost will not be cheaper, but you may find plans with copays for visits so that may be a better path than the two or three thousand you've put out for the kids a year.

In my state dependent benefits can be really expensive compared to employee costs. In some situations I have recommended individual coverages where the use is higher for the kids or the group plan is set up more for adult use.

Take a look and see, get out a note pad and pencil it out.

Child-only policies are gone.

After that is accomplished and you can't pay, it's bye, bye. You're outa here!

At the risk of sounding callous, what other service or product can you legally obtain without paying for it?

Health care is not a right, at least not in my opinion.

That is the root of it all. Many feel that health care is a right, just like food and shelter.

In a society thats as morally, financially, and technologically advanced as ours, when society has the means to provide anyone in need with healthcare, at some point and at some level it becomes a moral obligation to provide a certain amount of care to those who are sick.

I realize that the argument lies in what is the appropriate "certain amount" of care that they should receive...

Let me ask you this: If you had an epipen that you had bought with your own money, and passed by someone having a serious allergic reaction; would you give them the pen to use or would you ask for money first? or would you just send them a bill?

I understand that this is an oversimplification, but the point remains true.
Its not because its a naturally given "right", its because its the right thing to do.

imo (and many others) healthcare for children should be free no matter what its for!!

Adults should have appropriate avenues to quality healthcare in relation to their income level or personal circumstances.
(notice that I say nothing of a right to health insurance)

Honestly, at this point a single payer system would be the easiest thing to do.
Institute a federal healthcare sales tax (exemptions for certain items of course).
A sales tax would take care of the problem of illegal immigrants, criminals, & under the table workers who fly below the radar. It would also allow foreign visitors access to healthcare that they help pay for while in our country.

Then the gov insurance and the docs could negotiate rates etc, etc, etc..

A sales tax should be instituted instead of income tax too!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That is the root of it all. Many feel that health care is a right, just like food and shelter.

There is no reason why affordable health care coudlnt be easily available in a society as advanced as ours.

Food and shelter can be easily worked for and is extremely affordable when compared to health care. The prices of food and shelter have not increased anywhere near the rate that health care has! And its only getting worse.

Last edited:
Back