How commonly do agents lie on apps?

No one said life was fair . . .

If it was I would have George Clooney's looks, Warren Buffet's money and Catherine Zeta Jones in my bed.

I have run into 4 policies this month where information was left off the application. Example: 68 year old man laying on the couch as I spoke with his wife. She took out a policy 2 months prior. I reviewed it...He smokes...it was not listed on the app. He has parkinsons...not listed...he has copd...not listed.... This agent is a &%@. Aside from that....the policy has a "Fraud Clause" which makes me wonder if it can be contested beyond the "2 yr" clause. Anyone know about the restraints of the fraud clause?

Just tell them that if they want to pay for a policy that will actually pay out, they need to rewrite this case.

Is it REAL common for agents selling final expense to lie on applications? Lately I have run into a lot of agents talking smokers into signing apps as non-smokers. The clients were told what the insurance company didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

Today I had a little old lady show me a policy that was issued yesterday for a small final expense. She told me openly that she had a stroke 4-months ago. I check the application and sure enough it is checked "no"

I asked her if the agent asked her if she has had a stroke and she said he didn't ask her ANY health questions at all. She also has diabetes and lives in assisted living facility. He checked ALL her health questions as "no."

I know we all want to make the sale but is this kind of stuff common?

The one that pisses me off is a couple of smokers were sold out from under me by an agent that signed them up with the same company but as non-smokers.

Is there no honor?

How would they pass MIB? PHI?
What if they die within the first 2 years and it is discovered that they "lied" on the application? I wouldn't want to get caught doing that (or doing that to the insured).

I use to work at an agency that had a couple of older agents working there. One time we were discussing our sales presentations and I was telling them at what point in my presentation I ask the health questions.

They interupted me and said, "Hold on, you actually ask all the health questions?"

I replied, "Yeah, don't you?"

To which he responded, "No man, I just say, 'Mrs Jones how's your overall health, pretty good?'"

To which the client always replies "yeah, pretty good."

These old guys have been writing insurance before MIB and PHI's and Script checks so they got away with a lot in the past I'm sure. Whenever the insurance company would decline an app, they always thought it was some kind of conspiracy against them.

They told me I was crazy for asking all the health Q's...

How would they pass MIB? PHI?
What if they die within the first 2 years and it is discovered that they "lied" on the application? I wouldn't want to get caught doing that (or doing that to the insured).

This...

Not sure how it would get by an MIB screen and PHI's are recorded.

Its rare I run into that, but sure do run into some policies that are graded and the clients all along thought they were immediate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I use to work at an agency that had a couple of older agents working there. One time we were discussing our sales presentations and I was telling them at what point in my presentation I ask the health questions.

They interupted me and said, "Hold on, you actually ask all the health questions?"

I replied, "Yeah, don't you?"

To which he responded, "No man, I just say, 'Mrs Jones how's your overall health, pretty good?'"

To which the client always replies "yeah, pretty good."

These old guys have been writing insurance before MIB and PHI's and Script checks so they got away with a lot in the past I'm sure. Whenever the insurance company would decline an app, they always thought it was some kind of conspiracy against them.

They told me I was crazy for asking all the health Q's...

I dont read the enitre health questions.. It'd put a mule to sleep.. I'll pick out key words in the question

"Ever been exposed to the Immune...blah bla blah.."

Mrs Jones, any history of AIDS?"

Much quicker and satisfies the question

Last edited:
I can't stress enough on how Important it is for the agent and client to both be honest on the app.

There is plenty of blame to go around; the insurance companies, IMOS, and FMOs give out so many rank loaded, and deceptive contracts, that after a while it's tempting to "get them back".

Anytime a salesman is involved, and thats what they are... a salesman with an insurance license you're gonna have 80% lying bastages and 20% honest ones.. it's the nature of the beast.

By the way.. wanna get bent over? Buy your car from AutoWay.. that place is chalked full of the worst lying POS's walking this planet

That nitrogen air you bought for $100? BS.. they just put a green cap on.. I know a guy that quit Autoway for misleading customers

Car salemen will undercut their own mother to make a sale

Back