How Did Your Agency Change Once You Hired a CSR?

Todd Payne

Expert
Curious to hear feedback from agency principals about how your agency changed/grew once you transitioned from a one man shop and hired a licensed CSR.

I've pretty much plateaued for the last handful of years trying to do everything myself, thinking I can't afford to hire a CSR, but feel like I am missing sales opportunities since I have to do all the service work. If I could focus most of my time on sales, and delegate everything else, I think the CSR would mostly pay for itself. My agency is 90% personal lines P&C.

Once you hired your first CSR and got them properly trained, how did it improve your agency? Did your sales increase? Did your stress decrease? I find myself getting burned out and never having enough time to get everything done in the day. I enjoy making sales, but service work is kind of monotonous. Would like to take a vacation at some point before my kids are grown also.

Please share your experience and any advice about making the jump...thanks!

Curious to hear feedback from agency principals about how your agency changed/grew once you transitioned from a one man shop and hired a licensed CSR.

I've pretty much plateaued for the last handful of years trying to do everything myself, thinking I can't afford to hire a CSR, but feel like I am missing sales opportunities since I have to do all the service work. If I could focus most of my time on sales, and delegate everything else, I think the CSR would mostly pay for itself. My agency is 90% personal lines P&C.

Once you hired your first CSR and got them properly trained, how did it improve your agency? Did your sales increase? Did your stress decrease? I find myself getting burned out and never having enough time to get everything done in the day. I enjoy making sales, but service work is kind of monotonous. Would like to take a vacation at some point before my kids are grown also.

Please share your experience and any advice about making the jump...thanks!

Hire a CSR part time. Make them responsible for service work and some lead generation (cold calling).

In AZ, if they're doing any policy service, they have to be licensed. That means once you have a good, knowledgable CSR, they can transition easily to a producer for your company.

The part time wages you'll pay will free up your energy and time to sell more and will give you a higher quality of life. The real PITA is interviewing and finding the right CSR; you can't settle for the first applicant that comes your way (you're not Aflac, after all). Running payroll through BenefitsMall or ADP helps streamline your payroll and you can even set yourself up as a W2 or 1099 and get paid the same way for ease of tax purposes, but that's a conversation for your tax advisor and/or CPA.

Do it ! Your income and freedom will be the reward.

That was quite a few years ago for me but I'd advise the same...be very selective...and lead by example so you get a team player. Be very clear and concise with job requirements and results.

Your family will thank you;)

It changed my life! I'm primarily life and health- lots of little service work. My CSR handles all of the little things that take up so much of my time. The only drawback has been interaction with my clients- they don't want to talk to her. I'm the only one on the planet that can answer their question. It's been tough to transition them, but they are learning. Your time is better spent selling than servicing. Make sure you empower your CSR to take over what ever needs to be done. Don't cave, or you will find yourself doing the same stuff you were doing and paying someone else. (I learned and fixed that.)
As far as costs go, it did hurt in the beginning, but then I was freed up to focus on what I get paid to do. Profit margins increased.
Good luck to you!

Just curious, has anyone ever went through unemployment or job & family services to get a CSR for free?

I know of an agency that does this. The CSR's have to work so many hours a week to continue receiving unemployment benefits. To meet those requirements, the social workers find them jobs with various local businesses.

I personally would be a little hesitant and skeptical about doing this. But according to my friend, it has worked out great for his agency.

Anyone else ever tried this?

Wow, no thanks.

I'd venture a guess as to how much of a market force your friend is. My team would love a competitor like that.

yeah, I would think the same thing. which surprised me when he gave the program accolades.

don't know how big of a market force he is, but he does pretty well. been an agent for 25-30 years.

I would be too afraid of them sending shady or incompetent people, but he says that hasn't been an issue.

yeah, I would think the same thing. which surprised me when he gave the program accolades.

don't know how big of a market force he is, but he does pretty well. been an agent for 25-30 years.

I would be too afraid of them sending shady or incompetent people, but he says that hasn't been an issue.

Maybe 10 years ago, but there are people with advanced degrees that can't find a job right now. There aren't openings in their field and they are considered overqualified for lesser skilled and paying jobs.

Plus, he can probably be pretty selective. As long as he actually hires people, I bet he can have the cream of the crop.

Thanks for the replies.

That's an interesting slant on a way to get free help from the unemployed. Guess it might work on a short-term basis for clerical type of work, but I may get a paid intern from one of the local colleges for that type of work.

Really want to get a licensed CSR so they can also help quote & write new business and process endorsements, etc. May start with a part-timer for a while and then transition them to full-time.

Back