How do I begin as a Independent Agent in CA

I don't mind if it's you. If you have a good GA in mind let me know (or PM me).

I currently have an offer from a co. that will do everything (from closing to service) for 50% split on bigger groups. I "think" I can handle smaller groups but not bigger ones since my focus is not health.

P.S. I cover the whole Orange County and have some clients in LA, Riverside and SD counties.

I have a terrific GA who works from the San Fernando Valley. However, I know he will travel where the business can be found. Great understanding of group plans and especially HSA types of coverages.

I'll post more info on this shortly but there is a group of agents in So Cal who have begun to meet on a regular basis. Our next meeting is planned for 9/25 at a pizza joint at Downtown Disney. Perhaps you could join us. I'll start a thread when this is confirmed.

Rick

I have a terrific GA who works from the San Fernando Valley. However, I know he will travel where the business can be found. Great understanding of group plans and especially HSA types of coverages.

I'll post more info on this shortly but there is a group of agents in So Cal who have begun to meet on a regular basis. Our next meeting is planned for 9/25 at a pizza joint at Downtown Disney. Perhaps you could join us. I'll start a thread when this is confirmed.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Wednesday mornings are tough for me (mandatory agency meeting) but I'll try to make it even if I'm a little late.

Thanks Dave. That makes a lot of sense. Should I use a GA even for Cal Choice? Since I'm only going to focus on <10 groups and refer bigger groups to others for split commission would I be able to do this without a GA?

If you are going to use multiple carriers, it is easiest to use a GA. I am not sure if GAs have CalChoice as well, that I know can be done through Choice Administrators (as can Kaiser groups).

If you are going to do Kaiser, use Choice Admin instead of direct.

Back