How Do You Make It...???

Um, this may differ in other states but probably not much. OP wants to sell HEALTH INSURANCE in the individual & family market. Not sure how things work in Florida, but in California there are NO CAPTIVE HEALTH INSURANCE AGENCIES OR CARRIERS.

Well Dave, you made a very rare error, and I have to stretch to get there. Mega is in California, it is a captive company. It's questionable if it's health insurance.

I don't blame you for overlooking them.

Dan

Well Dave, you made a very rare error, and I have to stretch to get there. Mega is in California, it is a captive company. It's questionable if it's health insurance.

I don't blame you for overlooking them.

Dan

Oops, it must have slipped my mind:D

Last edited:
You better be a strong telemarketer to make this work. Internet leads will end up costing close to $100 per application. If you aren't experienced on the phone, start with a local agency with something simple like final expense to get your feet wet. They will train you and provide leads.

Want Real Advice? Join A Captive Company! This Is Exactly The Point I've Made Several Times. Can Jerry Tibbs Sell Is The Question. Who Knows?

You Need To Learn Products, -learn The Business Without Relying On This Board. Becoming An Independent Takes Guidance And Time. Starting Captive Will Give You A Rounded Sense Of How Everything Works. Then You Can Troubleshoot On The Side To Experiment With Leads, Etc. Later, When You're Up To Snuff, Go Independent.

Don't Listen To These Numbnuts With Their Asshat Calculations, They All Were Captive Or Trained In Some Way In The Beginning...and For God's Sake Don't Join Any "independent" Associations!

Best Of Luck To You!

This has nothing to do with the topic. Just curious as to why EVERY word in your post begins with a capital letter?

The point of my (asshat) calculation was to show OP that he was missing an important factor in determining income from health insurance...that he get's paid again each month on as-earned contract as long as those plan premiums are being paid. He thought he had to sell 17 every month to keep up, my math was to show that once he sold the 17, he would have a break even business to his cost and the more after that he sold he would be in the profit area above his cost.

That is the beauty of health insurance, FYC usually higher than standard and renewals that go on (around 10% in CA) for the life of the policy.

It could be done on 4 policies per month, but would take a couple of months to get to the break even point.

4 x 300 x 20% = $240

At this rate, assuming full persistency he earns more than his $1000 per month cost by the 5th month. That's one policy per week!

Does anyone really need to spend time as a captive agent to learn how to sell 4 health insurance plans a month??

I am sure with the help of John's IHIAA group it could more likely be 3-4 per week. And John offers discounted quoting and leads below what OP would have to pay for them on his own.

Of course, what would I know? I am just some "numbnuts with asshat calculations".

I see that many per DAY! And I had to forget and reject every bit of captive training I ever got to make it happen.

Jerry, Until you learn the only way to measure, and stay in business, is cash flow. As in any business, do you have enough funds to pay for your cost of living for 6 months? Since you are on commission you need to be comfortable as you explore some of the good advice the others have posted. Forget about some of their fine points until you prove to yourself that you can sell. Then fine tune and bring your costs in line i.e. leads, ROI, web sites etc.

Too many people at the getgo are short of $$, under pressure and can't take even a short dry spell, or learning period. There are some groups and agencies that make the start easier by providing training, leads and ongoing help. Chose wisely to get as much help as you can. And, as others have advised, get it in writing, or at least talk directly with other agents.
:yes:

Thanks for the Constructive input People....

PS. Not sure why we have "jerk-offs" highjacking threads about irrelevant information....Must be pretty slow for them.

Back