How Do You Prove to the Exchange that You're Not in Jail Says a New Enrollee

There is a list acceptable of acceptable documentation for "not in Jail". should be on the determination letter. One being discharge papers, another being a sworn and notarized statement that you have been out of jail and at such and such address since such and such date. I guess they assume that if you can get out and get a sworn statement notarized then you aren't in jail?? I had to do that with one of mine. Also a current utility bill in his name and a pay statement within the last month.

The guy had a DUI 4 years ago. He didn't spend more than 12 hours in jail. It was ridiculous that he even had to prove that.

With SSN, is it possible that there was a name change or something (middle initial) is not matching up with a common name?

I talked to the exchange. What a pita. Yes, discharge papers or notarized statement.

Regarding the SSN, the Exchange wants proof of citizenship which means a copy of Social Security card and drivers license. If he doesn't have his card, he has to go in person to get the SS card or send original documents as identity proof. Not many can be without a drivers license. Poor people don't have many redundant IDs or freedom to take off work whenever they want.

On another note, a friend of mine is stuck on Cobra until open enrollment. We looked at rates for a $5,000 group HDHP for him & his dad. Rates for a 37yr old male were upwards of $350 Employee Only & $1,000 family. It looks like BCBST is dumping all if the individual and small group into the same ACA pool. I'm not looking forward to getting my rate increase.

Last edited:
Back