How do you quote? Format? Paper? What?

You know, I'm so new at this biz (like less than a year into it) that I've not looked into any of the high-tech service-delivery systems... such as VYew or similar things. However perhaps I should.

I have looked into all of them and vyew is the BEST for price, performance and flexibility. The only downside is the technical support, which is horrible. Having said that, they are the best in their price range and compete quite well with goto meeting, webex, etc.

I've found that all the whiz-bang, super-duper high-tech 'stuff' is worthless if you don't have clients... and without a referral base, for me it's been call, call, call... knock, knock, knock. Once I get a live one, I just try to keep it simple for them... and emailed PDF files seem to work pretty well for me along with either in-person or a phone 'close.' I then set up the log-in for the client and they do an online application (except for some of my older clients who are not comfortable with the computer or who have slow dial-up.)

Al[/quote]

I agree about keeping it simple which is why I love webinars. You quickly can lose control over the presentation having the client try to find the pdf file, quote, etc. going to the specific page of the brochure, etc. MAJOR PITA!! I put together a presentation that I can use for anybody in my geographical area w/out major changes and that reduced quite a few headaches.....

With webinars, I control the entire process from the beginning until the application and anything needed is a quick click away for me...NOT THEM! I don't agree with showing a client every single plan because it is confusing enough to look at 1-2 plans. It is prudent to have those brochures, rates, etc available should the need arise. Just my .02.

The more I look at what the guys here are doing with the webinar idea, the program where they see what you are seeing, I think that may be a way to go if you are doing online business.Offline,

I think this is the future... but it's not here yet IMO.

I guess you could produce separate pdf quotes from the carrier agent sites and put them together using Acrobat (not reader) into one document.

Yes, that's what I do... and it takes for freakin' ever!

The other option, which I hate, is to use a GA like Benefitmall to do it. You'll get nice output but they want you to write through them and there is no GA override on IFP business, thus you end up as a sub-agent under their agent number.
The BM guys here have never mentioned to me about writing IFP. I didn't know they did IFP

Al

Norvax does a credible job. They are pricey but they can get away with it since they are (virtually) the only game in town.

I prefer the format, etc. of Quotit, but they have limited carriers to offer.

For creating PDF docs, try this free, open source product.

You may want to mail your quotes first class. I use a large window envelope that is (I think) 9 by 12. It only costs me $1.13 in postage to mail my quotes, but maybe you send more paperwork than I do. Mine comes to 3 ounces.

I wrote my own computer code to create quotes for some companies. I don't use PDFs, I just restrict the width of the page so that it prints properly. Restricting the width of the page is a very easy thing for a web designer to do. It can be done with a "table" or with a "div" in less time than it takes to read this posting. I'm surprised that it isn't done more often. I get quite annoyed when the last word on every line is truncated on web printouts. I know I can print it in landscape, but I shouldn't have to! ...but I digress.

I've often wondered why there are no competitors to Norvax, but creating the programming is difficult. You have to find a logical way to create a spreadsheet to compare different insurance policies that don't just have more or less of a given feature, but often very different features.

Also I think it is difficult to get an insurance company to share the rates with you in a format that is easy to turn into code. I think you have to send them a lot of volume in order for them to cooperate. Also for legal reasons a lot of companies only want you to use their (poorly written) software to quote their rates. I got in trouble with Golden Rule for creating a quote engine that included their rates. I sell a lot less of it now because my clients have to take extra steps to get their quotes.

Also it is hard to keep up with rate changes and changes to policy design. It is hard for me and I only work in one state.

By the way, is there a quote engine for life insurance that is similar to Norvax for health?

Alston, go to www.compulife.com. You can quote anonymously from their term4sale site. I believe that if you subscribe you can also quote ROP and U/L. I don't do much life so I have only used the site for term comparisons. I think the agent charge is $69 a year with a higher charge for an agency. I believe you can also put them on your website if you are a subscriber.

I use Black Gould and Associates as my GA in Arizona. They have a great system online that quotes all the carriers, then you select the plans you want to create and the system produces a spreadsheet with all of the benefit information. Then you can print, e-mail, or fax it from the desk top. It's VERY nice and the main reason I decided to work with them. I would recommend looking into a GA in your area that can offer you the same thing.

The GA route is problematic, at least in California. IFP business is vested business and as such, you want to be the agent of record. The GAs here use themselves as agent of record and the writing agent as sub-agent on the contracts. Since there is no GA override on IFP business in California, the GA owns the client, not the writing agent. You end up with reduced commission split and it is simply a very bad idea if your work is primarily in that market. You would be giving away your entire book.

Back