How to Be a Solid Producer?

NewCat

Hi, I am about to start a team member position at State Farm soon. I have no experience in Insurance (some sales experience elsewhere) and am using this as an opportunity to get my licenses paid for and get training.

But, I want to use the team member position as away to beef up my "producing skills" before I jump ship and go independent. What exactly does being a "solid producer" mean and HOW are you solid producers out there finding potential clients and closing them? What are TOP producers doing differently than average or crappy producers? Marketing? Closing skills? Better warm market?

I have to contact and give a quote to 50 people I know but after that, then what? There are inbound requests for quotes but what are very well off agents, agency owners/ brokers doing to make the most money and get the most clients when independent? What tips, books, or training courses do you recommend? I will be receiving a lot of training at SF on how to be a good team member, but what I want to know is how to be able to systemically get to $20,000-30,000 a month revenue. One interest that I want to focus on is Medical, because I hear that pays pretty well. What other avenues other than Medical and Universal Life pay the best?

Hi, I am about to start a team member position at State Farm soon. I have no experience in Insurance (some sales experience elsewhere) and am using this as an opportunity to get my licenses paid for and get training.

But, I want to use the team member position as away to beef up my "producing skills" before I jump ship and go independent. What exactly does being a "solid producer" mean and HOW are you solid producers out there finding potential clients and closing them? What are TOP producers doing differently than average or crappy producers? Marketing? Closing skills? Better warm market?

I have to contact and give a quote to 50 people I know but after that, then what? There are inbound requests for quotes but what are very well off agents, agency owners/ brokers doing to make the most money and get the most clients when independent? What tips, books, or training courses do you recommend? I will be receiving a lot of training at SF on how to be a good team member, but what I want to know is how to be able to systemically get to $20,000-30,000 a month revenue. One interest that I want to focus on is Medical, because I hear that pays pretty well. What other avenues other than Medical and Universal Life pay the best?

Prospect all day and help people get what they need and the money will take care of itself. If you start forcing UL when they want term, etc., you'll have a hard time making money. If you sit in the office expecting walk-ins, you'll have a hard time making money. If you don't prospect every time you're between appointments, you'll have a hard time making money. This is a simple business. Not easy, but VERY simple.

Prospect all day and help people get what they need and the money will take care of itself. If you start forcing UL when they want term, etc., you'll have a hard time making money. If you sit in the office expecting walk-ins, you'll have a hard time making money. If you don't prospect every time you're between appointments, you'll have a hard time making money. This is a simple business. Not easy, but VERY simple.

I can appreciate simple though not easy. So as an independent agent, where does your prospecting opportunity primarily come from. Let's say you've exhausted your warm markets, contacted all of your client referrals, then what? Do you then use the phone book, internet leads (are these even any good?), online marketing web forms, what are the main places/tools that Independent Insurance agents use to prospect?

Also, has anyone ever set up a clicks/webform campaign or affiliate ring for their own insurance business to get "in bound" leads in addition to cold calling.

Hi, I am about to start a team member position at State Farm soon. I have no experience in Insurance (some sales experience elsewhere) and am using this as an opportunity to get my licenses paid for and get training. But, I want to use the team member position as away to beef up my "producing skills" before I jump ship and go independent. What exactly does being a "solid producer" mean and HOW are you solid producers out there finding potential clients and closing them? What are TOP producers doing differently than average or crappy producers? Marketing? Closing skills? Better warm market? I have to contact and give a quote to 50 people I know but after that, then what? There are inbound requests for quotes but what are very well off agents, agency owners/ brokers doing to make the most money and get the most clients when independent? What tips, books, or training courses do you recommend? I will be receiving a lot of training at SF on how to be a good team member, but what I want to know is how to be able to systemically get to $20,000-30,000 a month revenue. One interest that I want to focus on is Medical, because I hear that pays pretty well. What other avenues other than Medical and Universal Life pay the best?

There is a getting started section on this forum, I would start there.

I can appreciate simple though not easy. So as an independent agent, where does your prospecting opportunity primarily come from. Let's say you've exhausted your warm markets, contacted all of your client referrals, then what? Do you then use the phone book, internet leads (are these even any good?), online marketing web forms, what are the main places/tools that Independent Insurance agents use to prospect?

Also, has anyone ever set up a clicks/webform campaign or affiliate ring for their own insurance business to get "in bound" leads in addition to cold calling.

It will most likely involve some cold calling off a list. Some people get better results doing it door to door and some like it better over the phone. Either way, when you're new, you'll get 1-2 leads per hour, open half of that and close half of that. So 2-3 hours of cold calling per sale. (That's life insurance, so P&C might be a little different)

The pathway to being a solid producer is to be a clear communicator in addition to being a constant prospector.

Think about it:
- Talk to 100 people with a muddled offer... and you won't get very far.
- Talk to 100 people with an exciting offer or solution that you can communicate clearly and succinctly... and the world is yours.

So, while you're working on your prospecting plans... don't forget about learning excellent communication skills.

Thanks for all the great advice. I am a year old in P&C sales. My book is just over $415k for the first year. I have a huge source for cstores and gas stations. I have quoted at least 60 in the last year. The issue is they are mostly in high crime areas. A lot of preferred companies are getting off the risk. I have searched and searched for companies and have found several surplus companies. Does anyone have a good preferred source? I am in Missouri and also licensed in Illinois.

I also wanted to know if my book for the first year is ok? I don't know if there is a guideline for first year of sales.

Thanks in advance!

It will most likely involve some cold calling off a list. Some people get better results doing it door to door and some like it better over the phone. Either way, when you're new, you'll get 1-2 leads per hour, open half of that and close half of that. So 2-3 hours of cold calling per sale. (That's life insurance, so P&C might be a little different)

briko, do you cold call or cold canvass?

briko, do you cold call or cold canvass?

I work in blocks. Morning and Afternoon. I call to make as many appointments for the morning. If I have time between them or there's time before lunch after my appointments, I'll walk in a few places. It's a waste to drive back to the office from 11-12 because you're wasting an hour of prospecting time. Same in the afternoon.

Back