How to Be a Solid Producer?

You must be located around Ferguson, eh?

I actually do have clients in Ferguson. My office isn't near there. I have a plethora of referrals that are great business owners, just high crime areas. I have researched every avenue for carriers and have many preferred and surplus. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I am very fortunate as I haven't had to cold call or buy leads.

I work in blocks. Morning and Afternoon. I call to make as many appointments for the morning. If I have time between them or there's time before lunch after my appointments, I'll walk in a few places. It's a waste to drive back to the office from 11-12 because you're wasting an hour of prospecting time. Same in the afternoon.

Some agents, my FSCP course instructor included, swear by cold calling Sunday night. Have you ever tried it?

My only experience with it is a LOT of pissed off people.

Some agents, my FSCP course instructor included, swear by cold calling Sunday night. Have you ever tried it?

I have two messages sitting on on machine. One from Friday night and one from Saturday. Friday is a need to biy for a family member call from a long term client, Saturday is a special referral from a client tjat ask me if i would help her. I will call them after dinner, but that is it. I spent the day pruning trees and talking crap with my boys. That trumps money.

If/when i was new I worked every day there was something to write.

The pathway to being a solid producer is to be a clear communicator in addition to being a constant prospector.

Think about it:
- Talk to 100 people with a muddled offer... and you won't get very far.
- Talk to 100 people with an exciting offer or solution that you can communicate clearly and succinctly... and the world is yours.

So, while you're working on your prospecting plans... don't forget about learning excellent communication skills.

Great advice. Thanks for the reminder!

----------

Thanks for all the great advice. I am a year old in P&C sales. My book is just over $415k for the first year. I have a huge source for cstores and gas stations. I have quoted at least 60 in the last year. The issue is they are mostly in high crime areas. A lot of preferred companies are getting off the risk. I have searched and searched for companies and have found several surplus companies. Does anyone have a good preferred source? I am in Missouri and also licensed in Illinois.

I also wanted to know if my book for the first year is ok? I don't know if there is a guideline for first year of sales.

Thanks in advance!
Oh, wow!. You seem like you've gotten your groove. Are you just on the commercial side or also personal. I know commercial is where the money is at but I don't think SF is strong in commercial.

----------

I work in sales unrelated to insurance now before I start my insurance job and I have to agree. But then again, people are often pissed off just because you called. I think the thing about Sundays is that in addition to religious reasons, people are trying to savor those last precious hours for themselves before they have to go back to work Monday.

----------

As top producers, how do you handle a cold call that just right off the bat says "no" or "I'm not interested?" Do you try to ask them questions or schedule a call back?

These are all great tips so far that people have mentioned. Also, is anyone making a lot doing personal insurance or is all of the big money in commercial?

Great advice. Thanks for the reminder!

----------

Oh, wow!. You seem like you've gotten your groove. Are you just on the commercial side or also personal. I know commercial is where the money is at but I don't think SF is strong in commercial.

----------

I work in sales unrelated to insurance now before I start my insurance job and I have to agree. But then again, people are often pissed off just because you called. I think the thing about Sundays is that in addition to religious reasons, people are trying to savor those last precious hours for themselves before they have to go back to work Monday.

----------

As top producers, how do you handle a cold call that just right off the bat says "no" or "I'm not interested?" Do you try to ask them questions or schedule a call back?

These are all great tips so far that people have mentioned. Also, is anyone making a lot doing personal insurance or is all of the big money in commercial?
"I understand how you feel. Many of my clients felt the same way until they met with me and found how I could

-save them money on their monthly premium
- increase their coverage while maintaining their current premium"

"I understand how you feel. Many of my clients felt the same way until they met with me and found how I could -save them money on their monthly premium - increase their coverage while maintaining their current premium"

It's a tough job but for some reason I can't get enough of it. I always joke and tell people I make 10 cents an hour. I just spent 10 weeks on an account that I thought I had a fantastic chance of getting. It was a $438,000.00 premium for an insured who owns 15 gas stations. Anyway, I would of had it, but the incumbent who is slowly getting off the risk renewed with half the premium and no exclusions or sublimits. May the best man win. A relationship was built and will continue. I am happy my client was able to get a renewal and if ever he is non renewed I am pretty sure I will have it. You never know though. Crazy things happen.

Hello Jobjam,
Congratulations on your successful first year! 415K in written premiums for the first year is something to celebrate for sure! At 10% commission average you should be breaking the $40,000 per year now...WOW. The P&C world is not easy. Here in FL is almost a nightmare to just get appointments, never mind to grow a book of business. I think you are doing something right, and wish you the very best in the future!

Hello Jobjam, Congratulations on your successful first year! 415K in written premiums for the first year is something to celebrate for sure! At 10% commission average you should be breaking the $40,000 per year now...WOW. The P&C world is not easy. Here in FL is almost a nightmare to just get appointments, never mind to grow a book of business. I think you are doing something right, and wish you the very best in the future!

Who average 10% commission? Most folks I know get 15% or better on personal lines and depending on line of business, commercial at 18-25%.

I have been a P&C for 11 years. The first year with Allstate and the last 10 doing Commercial Lines. Personal Lines paying 15%? Not impossible, but I have to see it with my eyes. Maybe with the sub-standard markets. But Commercial Lines paying between 18-25% depending on the lines? Very hard. 18% being the lowest in your scale is very high. I do Commercial Auto and get between 10-12.5%. My guess is that you are talking about commissions at MGA level, then you can be a lot closer to what you say, but then you have to pay the agencies that are binding you the policies, and then you are left with half of what you say for yourself.
When I said 10% average I know I was conservative, but probably closer to reality than your numbers.
At this point would like to know what are the commissions like in her specific case.

Back