How to Be a Solid Producer?

I have been a P&C for 11 years. The first year with Allstate and the last 10 doing Commercial Lines. Personal Lines paying 15%? Not impossible, but I have to see it with my eyes. Maybe with the sub-standard markets. But Commercial Lines paying between 18-25% depending on the lines? Very hard. 18% being the lowest in your scale is very high. I do Commercial Auto and get between 10-12.5%. My guess is that you are talking about commissions at MGA level, then you can be a lot closer to what you say, but then you have to pay the agencies that are binding you the policies, and then you are left with half of what you say for yourself. When I said 10% average I know I was conservative, but probably closer to reality than your numbers. At this point would like to know what are the commissions like in her specific case.

This post just doesn't compute. Progressive has just about the worst agent contract in the business and they pay 10%. Where are you placing business that you're only get 10-12% on commercial auto? Pretty much every carrier has a better contract than that. Safeco, Travelers, Hartford all have higher commission schedules than that. There's almost always overrides on the commercial side. If I were to write a risk with Oregon Mutual before January 1st, I'd make anywhere from 23-25% FYC.

This is a total derail, sorry OP. Agent 007, PM me if you want to talk some more about this.

Last edited:
Safeco, Travelers and Hartford do not want to even quote us trucking fleets or owner operators, new ventures, etc.
We are in FL and have been in business for 17+ years. Also licensed in GA, TX, SC, NC, TN, OH.
We have Lancer, Occidental, Sentry, Carolina, Northland, Great West, Great American, among others.
For hard to place risks we have Progressive, or National Indemnity.
Commercial Auto is not easy. It takes good contacts with MGAs or the companies directly. Without their appointments you are bacon.
None of those companies go over 12.5% in FL, and there are not many more who will write here either.

----------

Verbgravy what state you are in?

Back