How to Deal with Certain Kinds..

insprof09

just wondering how people deal with certain issues like this...and customers who can be abusive or crazy. Ive been an agent for a few years but sometimes I get these customers- lately one customer went on a tirade against me. She got really nasty on the phone- to a point where I was almost scared to deal with her again. She was also more like a teenager or 20 year old. She also keeps calling me like when she's confused about medicaid and I wasn't able to return all her calls. If I didn't return her calls she got irate. Finally I signed her up for a new plan, and then one day she's calling me angry- trying to create issues/lies.

When she can't get a hold of me, she calls my company and this time she made up many different lies about me and even warned she would. She was obviously just trying to be malicious and mean. I in fact bent over backwards, answering her calls, dealing with her issues, her temper tantrums- it was weird. She also got angry and acted as if b/c i made a commission off her, she seems to have a right to treat me this way. She'll call if she's at the doctor's office and if she can't get a hold of me b/c she's confused, she gets angry/upset.
These customers, are literally crazy, irate, there is nothing u can do to appease them as well- they also want to be as abusive as possible and get really nasty. I can also get if their anger is founded or understood- but it never is and they literally get extreme and abusive, like this one customer I dealt with who called and made up every lie possible about me.

Recently I had another customer who too went crazy- and began same thing accusing me of all kinds of things- that were all untrue except one which was a minor error but she basically begins talking aggressive to me, treating me like a scam artist- these kinds of customers in fact scare me b/c ive seen how crazy they can get. Usually its over nothing and theyre taking their anger out on something- even if its a minor thing they get extreme. Also makes up lies that aren't true, and begins wanting info on you, your company etc. How can agents deal with these kinds of customers- the worst part is you can't communicate with them- they get so angry and mean they begin being abusive to you, treating you like dirt, talking down to you. What compels customers to even be able to treat agents this way, i don't get it. Ive never been in an industry where customers are so abusive and crazy in my life..esp to people who haven't done anything wrong. I do 1000's of applications of course and they're done correctly. It's just shocking that there are customers who get this way and how do agents deal with them..

Last edited:
just wondering how people deal with certain issues like this...and customers who can be abusive or crazy. Ive been an agent for a few years but sometimes I get these customers- lately one customer went on a tirade against me. She got really nasty on the phone- to a point where I was almost scared to deal with her again. She was also more like a teenager or 20 year old. She also keeps calling me like when she's confused about medicaid and I wasn't able to return all her calls. If I didn't return her calls she got irate. Finally I signed her up for a new plan, and then one day she's calling me angry- trying to create issues/lies.

When she can't get a hold of me, she calls my company and this time she made up many different lies about me and even warned she would. She was obviously just trying to be malicious and mean. I in fact bent over backwards, answering her calls, dealing with her issues, her temper tantrums- it was weird. She also got angry and acted as if b/c i made a commission off her, she seems to have a right to treat me this way. She'll call if she's at the doctor's office and if she can't get a hold of me b/c she's confused, she gets angry/upset.
These customers, are literally crazy, irate, there is nothing u can do to appease them as well- they also want to be as abusive as possible and get really nasty. I can also get if their anger is founded or understood- but it never is and they literally get extreme and abusive, like this one customer I dealt with who called and made up every lie possible about me.

Recently I had another customer who too went crazy- and began same thing accusing me of all kinds of things- that were all untrue except one which was a minor error but she basically begins talking aggressive to me, treating me like a scam artist- these kinds of customers in fact scare me b/c ive seen how crazy they can get. Usually its over nothing and theyre taking their anger out on something- even if its a minor thing they get extreme. Also makes up lies that aren't true, and begins wanting info on you, your company etc. How can agents deal with these kinds of customers- the worst part is you can't communicate with them- they get so angry and mean they begin being abusive to you, treating you like dirt, talking down to you. What compels customers to even be able to treat agents this way, i don't get it. Ive never been in an industry where customers are so abusive and crazy in my life..esp to people who haven't done anything wrong. I do 1000's of applications of course and they're done correctly. It's just shocking that there are customers who get this way and how do agents deal with them..

This post seems very familiar. You are still having the same problems?

Fire them. Easy Speasy

Know your value and fire the client. If you're concerned about your employer request for the client to be transferred to another agent.

No one is required to put up with abuse of any kind.

how do you fire a customer? when i try to do this, thats when they call my company or the insurance company and file a complaint? I even tell them that either I'm not their agent any longer, or someone else can assist them, or I can find another agent to assist them..it gets scary out there

I have fired several problem makers in the last few months and its like a weight lifted not hearing/seeing or dealing with these people anymore. I wasted so much time on them for so little commission I really don't know why.

All I can say is I feel sorry for their new agent.

I know, I totally agree with you heather- I feel sorry for any agent that has to deal with those kinds of crazies. Worse, my company actually sided with one customer and believed all her lies- even though i pre-warned them she threatened me and would be calling- unbelievable. I guess you can't predict who's going to be crazy b/c some of them start off being really sweet.

Document every conversation, use it as a point of reference and set the tone with how you speak. Speak as a professional with authority and with conviction. Don't try to appease crazy requests or accept or tolerate foul language or abusive speech.

"I want to help you Mr. Mrs. customer but if you continue to speak to me in that manner I will transfer you directly to the company or you could take your business elsewhere."

Some will do an about-face and show you more respect,while others will continue to act the same way.

When your manager calls you show him/her the documented conversation. I will give people a chance if they blow up once or twice and chalk it up to them just having a horrible day.But I do not tolerate being treated like this ( especially a repeat offender). You have to draw the line somewhere.

I'd recommend that you set up a one page document that you and your new clients sign. Outline what you do and what you do NOT do. Also, document when you will respond to requests. I'd recommend within 24 business hours. Despite what others may think, just because a policyholder yells "Jump!" doesn't mean you should immediately ask "How high?". Set limits and do it up front. That's called quality control.

And as others have suggested, document every conversation. If anyone threatens you with any action of any kind... your response should be "That's fine by me. I have all the documentation on our interactions. At any time, you may transfer your policy to a new agent." (If you have any unfriendly competitors, be sure to volunteer them!)

----------

Heck... in these cases, you should ask yourself one question: "How would Donald Trump handle this?" ROFL!

I'd recommend that you set up a one page document that you and your new clients sign. Outline what you do and what you do NOT do. Also, document when you will respond to requests. I'd recommend within 24 business hours. Despite what others may think, just because a policyholder yells "Jump!" doesn't mean you should immediately ask "How high?". Set limits and do it up front. That's called quality control.

And as others have suggested, document every conversation. If anyone threatens you with any action of any kind... your response should be "That's fine by me. I have all the documentation on our interactions. At any time, you may transfer your policy to a new agent." (If you have any unfriendly competitors, be sure to volunteer them!)

----------

Heck... in these cases, you should ask yourself one question: "How would Donald Trump handle this?" ROFL!

She should call them and their mother's names???

Only if they're not being recorded to be used as evidence. :)

----------

But even then, you can use your own recording to give additional context to such labels... so why the hell not? lol

Back