How To Pass the Life, Accident and Health Insurance Exam ?

Not sure what to tell you. I have taken the test twice now and have failed it. I missed passing by 1% the second time!!! I am debating as to whether I should re-test or just let it go. I have never taken a test like this. It is difficult. And its not because I don't know the information its the tricky wording. I went to college and have a degree. Passed all their tests! I have a natural gift to gab and I think I could be good in this field but if I don't pass this ridiculous test I won't be able to try. On the other hand, this idea "Insurance sales person", is starting to become expensive. Should I re-test?????

No, you should not be an Insurance Sales Person, in my opinion.

There seems to be something in these tests that sort out, to a degree, one's aptitude for this profession.

Obviously studying is important, but after putting in the time you need and with a background that you have, something is telling you that your heart is not in this and this profession in not for you.

Reminds me of the engineering and other difficult majors at my university who hard a hard time with Music Appreciation, while I had courses such as Counterpoint, Arranging and Advanced Music Theory that I did alright in, but couldn't pass anything but the math for dummies my school had and got a D in Botany, despite knowing and even sailing with the Prof.

Having average intellect, I have taken the residence exams in four states in the past 26 years, never failing once. This included not only the Life and Health, but also P & C while I was at GEICO a few years ago, and now as an independent for L & H again. I took a week course in Chicago for my Series 7 a while back and studied for a few weeks and passed that the first time.

I recently met a computer geek who has tried twice now for his L & H. He has a good job with a great company in town but thought he would "try insurance" for some reason. Having met him at our annual party at the fitness club we both belong to and having the maximum two drinks allowed each member - I told him to his face what I am saying here; that " I think this business is not for you" He took it well, although he was surprised at my candor.

Last edited:
The best advice I have for taking the test is...

1. Don't over think
2. Don't think the test is trying to trick you if you see an obvious answer. After all, you have studied and should notice the obvious answers.
3. Just before you leave your car to take the exam, look over your notes one last time.
4. Once you get seated for the exam. Write down as much information as you can on the sheet of paper they give you. This will help you with recall in the exam.
5. Flag the questions your not 100% sure about and then go back to them later. No reason to freak out over one question and spend to much time on it.
6. When you see a question your not sure about, read it again. Do you see any words you are familiar with? Take those "keywords" and look at the answers they have given you. Try to match those up the best you can.

I hope that helps.

I was looking for a little advice. I have taken the exam twice and have not passed. Any suggestions?
Have you received any HELPFUL tips from posting this question? I have also had difficulty with the exam and would like some useful information as well. And some people are very HARSH by saying you're in the wrong field if you can not pass the exam on the first try! Those people are rude and inconsiderate!

Have you received any HELPFUL tips from posting this question? I have also had difficulty with the exam and would like some useful information as well. And some people are very HARSH by saying you're in the wrong field if you can not pass the exam on the first try! Those people are rude and inconsiderate!

The insurance exam (in TX at least) is extremely easy. The harsh and rude people are right, if you read the book and can't pass the test - you shouldn't be able to give insurance advice or sell insurance products.

That's not necessarily true at all. People learn in different ways. That doesn't mean you can criticize them and demean them or the profession they chose!

That's not necessarily true at all. People learn in different ways. That doesn't mean you can criticize them and demean them or the profession they chose!

If you can't pass the test, you should not be permitted to practice the profession. OMG, to use an analogy, would you want someone who can't pass the driver's test to be on the road? If everyone were allowed to practice a profession there would be no need for a test! Testing hopefully screens out the incompetent.

I'd tell anyone thinking about getting into insurance to not do so to start with. Most agents take it a couple times before passing the test. Several agents have better luck taking a class that teaches you how to pass the test.

T

Last edited:
I'd tell anyone thinking about getting into insurance to not do so to start with.

WHAT?? that makes no sense.

Thanks for the spam and thanks for bringing back a old thread!:swoon::no::goofy::swoon:
Oh and I passed my tests the first time.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Passing the test is the minimum standard. I got a 95 on the Florida Health, Life and Annuity exam the first time I did self study online. I realize I have so much more to learn. If you don't pass the first time I would recommend taking a course in an actual classroom not online. Take as many practice exams as possible before taking the state exam.

Back