How To Pass the Life, Accident and Health Insurance Exam ?

I've passed my P&C the first time in NC. In NC they don't give a score, just pass or fail, which I heard was to prevent discrimination in hiring agents based on the score they received.

Here is what I've done that helped me when getting my degree. I've got a degree in biology so it's a little out there, but if it works for something that may be hard to understand/relate to in real life, I'd bet it helps with insurance law and products as well.

When reading material and making notes, on average many students read their notes approx 4-5 times for max retention. This is a long-winded study method but for people with the time it helps a lot of people out, including myself. I'll bet you my P&C license you will find some derivation of this idea somewhere online. The steps aren't concrete in the order and some might not apply depending on the subject and environment, but completing as many, if not all, of them is key to retention.

1st review- Look at the information just to put the words in your mind. Basically you are just washing the English over you. Read it and whatever you remember, you remember. Don't make a super big effort yet to understand it. This is mainly for right before a class or activity.

2nd review- Look over the information again a couple of hours later and make a brief 2-3 sentence summary for each section. These start off your notes.

3rd review- This would be a classroom environment or online/self-study activities. Obviously this might not apply to all students but here you would ask questions and get some of the key ideas down in class. Ask the instructor questions and participate in class. Take notes in class, which you add to the 2nd review.

4th review- almost immediately after class, end of the day, as soon as possible. Go over the notes here with the intent of retaining as many major ideas and details as possible. Also write down questions that are needed for clarification. Ask the instructor about them the next time you see them, or through an e-mail. As part of this, it might be helpful to draw an image like a flow-chart, a map, or something along those lines. This should be added into your notes. This is a major part of your notes, along with the 3rd review from class/activities.

5th review- This is 1-2 days before the exam. Go over all of the notes and see what you can recreate from memory. Test yourself with questions, definitions, explaining to others, etc. to apply this in different ways. Any holes in the notes or things you aren't sure on, go ahead and fill in with the textbook.

One of the things I have been seeing here is people doing 1-3 hours of studying the morning of the exam. I don't recommend it because you are mainly regurgitating information. Studies have shown that people who read something are able to tell you more about what they read from memory 1-2 days before than 20 mins before explaining. You are able to sleep, the neural networks have been updated in the mind, and the information is no longer being filtered in the short-term memory along with other stimuli. It's just scientific fact. And being a student, I can say that I can explain derivatives in calculus a lot better now (took the course 6 months ago) than I could when I was IN the damn class :D. I've tried the all-nighters and for some things it works, but for some classes I can't get away with it.

Also, some people find that steps 3 and 4 are better off reversed. Again, the steps here aren't concrete. Try what you think is best for you.

Hope this helps. Some people can do it this way, others can't. A lot of med students do this to be successful in school but others believe they don't have the time based on the material presented in all the classes. It's a personal preference but I agree that not many people know how to study, they just try rote memorization.

Last edited:
What Help me Alot was Listening to The Audio Cd's That covers the entire Life And Health Kaplan Bk. Driving, Working Out, In Your Home, Cooking Listening to someone else voice Help me pass the Exam..

Their are 2 Audio Cd's..:)

Last edited:
If you can't pass the test, you should not be permitted to practice the profession. OMG, to use an analogy, would you want someone who can't pass the driver's test to be on the road? If everyone were allowed to practice a profession there would be no need for a test! Testing hopefully screens out the incompetent.

CONSIDER:
A political leader is tested via the nomination and election processes.

One such person:
  • Ran for state legislature - lost.
  • Sought to become speaker of the state legislature - defeated.
  • Sought to become elector - defeated.
  • Ran for Congress - lost.
  • Ran for Congress again - this time he won - went to Washington and did a good job.
  • Ran for re-election to Congress - lost.
  • Sought the job of land officer in his state - rejected.
  • Ran for Senate of the United States - lost.
  • Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party's national convention - got less than 100 votes.
  • Ran for U.S. Senate again - again he lost.
  • Elected president of the United States.
ABRAHAM LINCOLN

We measure our success in this business (and most others) by economics. Tell me Arnguy: In this business have you made a million a year? $500K? $250K? Six figures at least?

FYI: That's the test I use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The insurance exam (in TX at least) is extremely easy. The harsh and rude people are right, if you read the book and can't pass the test - you shouldn't be able to give insurance advice or sell insurance products.

Hey Advisor-

CONSIDER:
A political leader is tested via the nomination and election processes.

One such person:
  • Ran for state legislature - lost.
  • Sought to become speaker of the state legislature - defeated.
  • Sought to become elector - defeated.
  • Ran for Congress - lost.
  • Ran for Congress again - this time he won - went to Washington and did a good job.
  • Ran for re-election to Congress - lost.
  • Sought the job of land officer in his state - rejected.
  • Ran for Senate of the United States - lost.
  • Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party's national convention - got less than 100 votes.
  • Ran for U.S. Senate again - again he lost.
  • Elected president of the United States.
ABRAHAM LINCOLN

In this business, like most others, our tested measurements are largely economic. In this biz, do you make a million a year? $500K? $250K? No? Then park your Camry somewhere else and save your sage financial advice for the folks at the Turkey day table.

This is the TEST I use...

Last edited:
JP Libby,

Nice post. I was always fasinated by that story about Abe Lincoln. He failed, failed & failed, but never gave up.

I agree with you. If I'm going to take advice from someone on success vs. failure, I'm going to take it from one who has been highly successful.

Anyone want to compare Tax Returns from their agency?:) Make Net Profit of $100k or more a requirement & I suspect we'd have a few less folks posting here. :( Actually that is sad to think that might be true when it isn't that hard IMO. I've had very successful CSR's that failed 3-4 times. Just stressed out. I've had agents with college degrees fail the test several times too.

I find if you've failed the test 2-3 times you need to get with someone that can talk to you about how to take tests like this. There are very good techniques that can easily be learned to increase ones chance of success IMO. I know because I've helped quite a few. I know the ones I worked with were not "dummies." They just tensed up because their life/career depended on passing this stupid little test. Once you take the stress away & teach a few techniques, they pass.

IMO, the "knowledge" required to pass an Insurance License is NOT the knowledge required to be successful in the insurance business. The only important part to me is the State Law issues. That knowledge IS required. The other is just to memorize how to answer the "dumb" questions & then forget it.

Totally Different if we're talking Series 6, 7, 63 for your securities license though!! Those are a Completely different breed test!

If anyone having trouble wants to call me, my contact info is below.

Best of luck!

The best way is to take practice tests in preparation for the real thing. Keep on trying until you can score 85% or higher.

Just curious if I can purchase a nj Book and cd to review for the exam at a discounted price or off someone here... just saying can I save some money?

I don't know how it works in NJ but in NC you have to get a certificate for passing a class certifying that you took 40 hours for the life and health exam. If that isn't the case in NJ then sure. But if it is, then the book is a good review but you need to take a certified class or at-home certified correspondence.

Back