How Was Humana on Exchange in Your State?

russelltw

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have heard Humana is going to be on the exchange in NC. I am interested in hearing how competitive they were and what they offered (hmo,ppo?) on exchange. Anybody mind sharing their experiences?

They were competitive in many states but that does not necessarily mean they will be in NC as each state is different...

Agree, but wondering about their product line and the experience others are having. How was support, processing, billing issues, etc.

We had a new carrier on our exchange this year and it has been a bit trying for that carrier. This was their first year on the Federal exchange I believe, so they has some "learnin" to do.
R

Agree, but wondering about their product line and the experience others are having. How was support, processing, billing issues, etc.

We had a new carrier on our exchange this year and it has been a bit trying for that carrier. This was their first year on the Federal exchange I believe, so they has some "learnin" to do.
R

In Florida they offer HMO in a few markets On Exchange as well as their version of a PPO (called National POS) on Exchange in some of those areas, same in most of Georgia. They offer the POS Off Exchange in other areas as well.

Their rates are competitive in the areas I have checked. They did have some network issues on the Gulf Coast of Florida but these have mostly been resolved.

Processing has been OK, commissions have been paid in a reasonable time period (On Exchange had a couple of hiccups that required calls to the Agent Service Center) but overall at least on the level of most of the other companies-certainly much better than Aetna.

Commissions are 6% FYC and 4% renewal in Florida, I think the same in Georgia.

Overall, I use Humana as one of my primary carriers where they are available and see my book growing with them over the next couple of years, I hope this helps.

I have heard Humana is going to be on the exchange in NC. I am interested in hearing how competitive they were and what they offered (hmo,ppo?) on exchange. Anybody mind sharing their experiences?

Here in Georgia they offer both an HMO and POS plan. In 2014 they were the best plan in my opinion. In 2015 they had a decent size rate increase, but they are still the plan I prefer. Aetna and Coventry were new to the exchange this year and were an absolute nightmare to deal with. Plus they only offer HMO's. The Humana POS network here in Georgia is a very solid network.

As for dealing with Humana, there were some frustrations such as commissions not being paid on some cases, but once they are notified they get to work on getting it corrected. Even with that they have been much better to deal with compared to Aetna, BCBS and Coventry. Suffice it to say I recommend Humana to everyone. I will show the client other carriers, but recommend Humana. If they want Coventry I tell them they'll need to find another agent or go through hc.gov because I want nothing to do with Coventry. That's how much of a nightmare they've been.

FLM and Sman,
THanks for taking the time to respond. That info will be useful. Sounds like they are a solid player and are not playing games with their plan design and broker support.
Are you direct or do you use an FMO with Humana?
R

Last edited:
FLM and Sman,
THanks for taking the time to respond. That info will be useful. Sounds like they are a solid player and are not playing games with their plan design and broker support.
Are you direct or do you use an FMO with Humana?
R

Direct, I won't go through an FMO unless I get paid directly by the insurance company.

Text of an e-mail Humana sent to agents today. It also included a "We appreciated you!" video.

"Thanks to you, Humana brought healthcare and peace of mind to over one million members. We appreciate everything you've done this year and your continued commitment to excellence."

I found a bonus check deposit in my account from Humana today-it looks to be $25 per enrollment.

I didn't know there was a bonus plan for this past OEP so, for once, a pleasant surprise!

Back