How Would You Modify the ACA?

You can still write exchange biz without taking the Advanced Subsidy....if they are due any subsidy they will just deduct it from the tax bill at years end.

I had one family who took 1/2 of the allowable subsidy amount. Husband/Dad is a C.P.A.. He says that it's "insane" for anyone to accept the full ACA advance tax credit if there's even a CHANCE that their ultimate income will be higher than estimated for 2014. There are limits on the Clawback amount, but not on IRS penalties and interest. They're calculated based on the entire overpayment, he says.
ac

i don't read.... red..... text..........take a hike loser....perhaps you should consider a career with amway since you don't want to help folks get insurance.

BOO!

You are a complete moron but everyone knows that but yourself.

Just for the record, though, I wrote about 125 policies during the OEP, virtually all Off Exchange, and made more money in that time period (which I've already been paid on in full) than you have probably seen in your life.

You are a complete moron but everyone knows that but yourself.

Just for the record, though, I wrote about 125 policies during the OEP, virtually all Off Exchange, and made more money in that time period (which I've already been paid on in full) than you have probably seen in your life.

Don't feed the troll, you are only making things worse for those of us that want to actually discuss the topic.

Like the old saying goes and Hou is ignoring: Better to let people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. If you ignore it, it will go away.

It's fair to post correct information when he posts bad information, but beyond that you only lower yourself when you get into the name calling arena. Remember, this website comes up on search results when consumers are looking for information. Keep yourself in a positive light.

1. enrollment period 1/1 thru 3/31
2. allow anyone below 250 % fpl to enroll anytime
3. allow married couples to file separately
4. allow agents to enroll children in CHIP
5. allow those below 100% fpl the ability to opt out of Medicaid and enroll in Obamacare

Family glitch needs to get fixed, but most already agree.

I'd also like to see some consistency on pediatric dental coverage. Here in WA it is a total mess. Some carriers cover cleanings/exams without the deductible. Others have it subject to. Some pay a flat amount after deductible, some pay nothing until the deductible. Some carriers you have to add an additional plan. Total pain in the butt and nearly impossible to follow who covers what. Make simple. Cleanings and exams not subject to deductible and have a lower deductible before covering fillings, etc. That would help.

What is everyone's thoughts on standardized plans?

I think they're overkill. I agree with MEC and possibly even minimum requirements for tiers, but having standardized plans didn't work in Massachusetts for auto insurance and standardizing the Medigap policies just is leading to more and more different "standards".

IMO, standardizing just reduces competition. Ultimately, there are less products available to meet individual needs, as most of them are mirrors of the same product with nothing besides the logo, network, and premium changed.

Obviously, this contributes increased price sensitivity, the results of which are clear in the form of significant market share for the lowest priced option in a given market (in general, I recognize there are exceptions).

It's also a necessary evil, as this was designed to be a "self service insurance portal" and standardizing products goes a long way towards helping the neophytes understand the plans available without professional assistance.

I think they should have allowed more slack on the "non-standard" products, mainly, allowing AV's that are not +/-2% of the metal tiers. Argument's sake, an "enhanced silver" with a 75%AV is something that could certainly be viable.

The reason I bring it up isn't because I think it is the solution of all solutions, but worth a discussion. One of the reasons I thought of it is because as an example, in my county where there are only two carriers participating there are thirty possible plans available. If each tier had specific plans such as A B C for example A is the HDHP, B is the Copay plan, C being a deductible plus coinsurance etc. There is still room for premium movement with various networks and prescription coverage etc. One company's Bronze A plan might be an HMO whereas anothers is a POS and a third might be a PPO etc.

I don't think this would push agents further out of the market. Quite the opposite given the various network and prescription offerings. What it would do is streamline the sales process and make it easier for us to learn the plans available. I would hate to imagine what it was like in markets with more than two carriers. How many plans were available in those markets to have to learn?

As an example, my wife is anything but uneducated. She is the VP of Quality for our local blood bank. Blood banks are more than just where you donate blood. They are actually viewed as a pharmaceutical company since blood is considered a drug. She reads code of federal regulations (CFRs) on a regular basis and interprets FDA regulations to guide her company through everything it does. Put a health policy in front of her and it's like Kriptonite. She has had her whole life and still doesn't know the difference between an HMO and a PPO. My point is that people that are honest with themselves will still know it's best to use a professional to help make that decision.

----------

IMO, standardizing just reduces competition. Ultimately, there are less products available to meet individual needs, as most of them are mirrors of the same product with nothing besides the logo, network, and premium changed.

Obviously, this contributes increased price sensitivity, the results of which are clear in the form of significant market share for the lowest priced option in a given market (in general, I recognize there are exceptions).

It's also a necessary evil, as this was designed to be a "self service insurance portal" and standardizing products goes a long way towards helping the neophytes understand the plans available without professional assistance.

I think they should have allowed more slack on the "non-standard" products, mainly, allowing AV's that are not +/-2% of the metal tiers. Argument's sake, an "enhanced silver" with a 75%AV is something that could certainly be viable.

Come to think of it, I think eliminating the metal tiers would be a benefit. Since there are too many ways to list how to meet the various AVs, is there really a benefit? I think we all saw Bronze plans more expensive than many Silver plans etc. Obviously the AVs matched or they wouldn't have been on the marketplace, but what good was the Bronze versus Silver label to the consumer or the agent for that matter? I think the tiers create too much confusion among consumers and have zero benefit to help agents. How well can you explain what AV actually means and how it is figured when talking to a consumer?

Back