Humana Underwriting Tightened?

Tampa Teddy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
What is up with Humana lately? They take forever to underwrite, request physician records on every app and decline nearly 50% of what 's been submitted in the last 60 days. What the hell is going on? On the bright side, UHC is kickin em out like an assembly line.

They are having some issues. In some cases they are relying on automated underwriting too much. I posted my experience in another thread. Some of your declines may not be if they actually took the time to review like normal.

They are having some issues. In some cases they are relying on automated underwriting too much. I posted my experience in another thread. Some of your declines may not be if they actually took the time to review like normal.
The automated system that I use (my wife) is telling me to decline Humana. I have to say that I think she's right. Humana will not be seeing anymore business from me in the future, until they work out their "issues" whatever they may be. Lower rates don't mean much when you can't get an olympic athlete issued.

The automated system that I use (my wife) is telling me to decline Humana. I have to say that I think she's right. Humana will not be seeing anymore business from me in the future, until they work out their "issues" whatever they may be. Lower rates don't mean much when you can't get an olympic athlete issued.

You think you're kidding, but I actually had a great deal of trouble getting a Humana policy issued not too long ago on a young lady who played basketball just under the Olympic level. They also just ordered a paramed for absolutely no discernible reason on a client of mine, leading me to say this sentence for the first time in my life: "I think Aetna makes more sense for you."

My rule for humana is no meds, no anything in the last 10 years, not even the hiccups and under 35, but that doesn't always work with them.

They want to discuss it, after they've scared the client off.

Lately?

I have never had much luck with them.

The only thing I like that they have is the phone application but it takes 35 minutes to complete.

Had one auto-issued last PM. App was submitted on Friday. Had a few issues but the only fly in the ointment was a duodenal ulcer from August '09. Treated with Protonix for 10 weeks, no recurrence.

Aetna wanted +70%. Cigna & BX declined her. UHC would issue std with a rider.

It is like the wild west out there.

WTF is with Humana's unpredictable rateups with no real guidelines in their underwriting manual? Nothing in their under 65 underwriting manual is specific like Assurant's underwriting guide. In most cases, its completely useless as an underwriting guide. Stopped doing a lot with Humana awhile ago because it seems like their under 65 underwriting is all over the board. Nothing consistent. WHY?

WTF is with Humana's unpredictable rateups with no real guidelines in their underwriting manual? Nothing in their under 65 underwriting manual is specific like Assurant's underwriting guide. In most cases, its completely useless as an underwriting guide. Stopped doing a lot with Humana awhile ago because it seems like their under 65 underwriting is all over the board. Nothing consistent. WHY?

If you pre-screen it they can give you a pretty accurate indication of the rate-up. Most of the time it's based on the prescriptions, sometimes it's based on the condition itself.

I agree their pre-screen is as good (if not better) than anyone, but only if you give them enough information. Their form is pretty generic. If you want good feedback have specific condition and medication. You also need to provide them with the plan considered and zip code.

Otherwise, all you get is a regurgitation of the underwriting guide.

Back