I failed my state exam PLEASE HELP

Maybe you won't think it's so exciting once you do it! LOL, door to door. What I meant by quick money is that commissions are advanced and you don't have to wait a month for commissions (health, life..) To me it's quick and easy.....I guess when you compare to health and life anyways.
I do my fair share of auto/homeowners/renters/health/life and whatever else I can get people to listen to me about!

Auto & homeowners pays the bills and health and life is just icing on the cake.

You have had good success going door-to-door selling auto insurance? Is this residential or small business? Is your pitch basically an offer of a free quote?

I believe the most common reason people fail is because they do not read each word in each question very carefully. The questions are worded so if the person skims the question instead of reading it several times the wrong answer will immediately pop into you mind. Read the questions a second time slowly and then see what answer comes to mind.

Double-negatives get a lot of people:

"Which is the answer does not does describe the correct definition of universal life insurance."

Like Frank said, people skim it, read the question above and chose the wrong answer.

You have had good success going door-to-door selling auto insurance? Is this residential or small business? Is your pitch basically an offer of a free quote?

It varies, I've prospected and written business on auto from that same day of prospecting and some hit later on. Just got a request for an auto quote today from someone who picked up my card from some door to door I did about a month ago. Probably gonna close him and make an easy $100 commission for about 30 minutes work. Not huge, but they add up.

When I go door to door residential I average 2-4 ok's to quote per hour. And, if I'm quoting the autos I'm also quoting the home for the multipolicy discount. Sometimes when I'm doing business to business asking for health/life quotes people will just ask for an auto quote instead.

Nothing to my pitch really, "I'm a local insurance agent out meeting my neighbors and offering my services" "Is there anything I can help you with?" "At so&so office we have great rates and typically save people people about 20-30 percent on their auto & homeowners insurance." "Can I get you a quote?"

Give good service and people start referring their friends and family to you and you have a steady stream of quotes coming in. Steady stream of quotes equals steady stream of business.

mojo, I think you are definately on the right track. I've been selling small burial life for 20 years door to door, and always wondered why the P&C agents are stuck in an office. A few years ago, { a decade ago} one of our big debit companies that is here in TX got bought out by Unitrin and started selling Fire insurance. They are one of the few writers of lower priced homes and mobile homes. They were already used to selling life door to door, so they started selling the P&C stuff that way -as well. No car insurance that I know of, though, for those guys.

This leads me to a question: Sounds like you have an ins office somewhere, but choose to prospect door to door at times. Can a broker work from his house on P&C stuff, or does he have to have a "set" office somewhere???

Sometimes when I'm doing business to business asking for health/life quotes people will just ask for an auto quote instead.

Now there's an idea. It could be like how the boy scouts sold Robert Cialdini the two chocolate bars which he didn't want. They first asked him to buy a $5 raffle ticket, when he declined they said "well at least take a couple chocolate bars for a buck each."

Open with a health insurance pitch, they decline, then scale it back to an auto quote which they may grant as a favor for you reducing your request to an even less disgressionary insurance.

This leads me to a question: Sounds like you have an ins office somewhere, but choose to prospect door to door at times. Can a broker work from his house on P&C stuff, or does he have to have a "set" office somewhere???

I think you can do it either way (from home & office). I have an office that I do work from but occassionally I'll just work from home. You can sell p&c over the phone and do it with phone/fax/email, so basically your office is wherever you want it to be. I go door to door to get my butt out of the office, meet some people, and get some exercise.

Me too, exactly, mojo. I do not feel like I'm doing anything- hanging around an office, and I know I'm screwing around at home, like right now on the computer! ha ha

Hey don't be too hard on yourself, sometimes you just get a weird group of questions. I did not pass my General Lines 2-20 exam until my 3rd try (got an 87% though)...but I took my Series-7 and 2-15 and passed both on the first try and the S-7 is supposed to be harder, so relax.

My main advice would be if your doing it all online you need to get the actual hard copy of the STATE STUDY BOOK FOR GENERAL LINES OR P&C. All of the answers are in the book for all the weird questions. The online study guides and tests were not really helpful for the exam or just gave general information. The STATE STUDY book will have all the weird items that is on the test that when you were taking it go "what is this question". Read it front to back, highlight it, make notes, etc. , especially things that stick out like statements in the book that are in bold or isolated or are exceptions to the rule.

Best of luck!

Back