I have CANCER... and so should you.

Life Hawk

Guru
5000 Post Club
Cancer plans... do you sell them?

I am introducing this thread to begin a conversation on the use of Cancer Insurance as an ancillary product. There have been a few post regarding this in the last few days and there seems to be an interest to learn a bit more.

Your thoughts...

I have a couple of cancer plans I can sell, but I don't actively promote it. I think about it sometimes, though. I worked with Colonial Life for a few years. They have a really excellent cancer product for payroll deduction cases. I mainly pushed DI, but Cancer was my second most popular product, especially among healthcare workers.

One particular case I remember was a city employee who had a cancer plan when his wife was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. At that time the Blue Cross plan they were under had a daily cap on what they would pay for radiation and chemo. The patient was responsible for the difference, which in this case was about 40% of the bill. She died after 11 months of daily treatments. My client told me that if it hadn't been for that cancer plan, he would have gone completely under financially. The emotional toll of losing his wife was already almost too much to bear. Imagine if he had also lost his home.

The title is eye catching but speaking as one who was told to go home and prepare to die upon diagnosis of "massive, incurable" throat cancer, it makes me very uncomfortable for some reason.

Last edited:
I have a couple of cancer plans I can sell, but I don't actively promote it. I think about it sometimes, though. I worked with Colonial Life for a few years. They have a really excellent cancer product for payroll deduction cases. I mainly pushed DI, but Cancer was my second most popular product, especially among healthcare workers.

One particular case I remember was a city employee who had a cancer plan when his wife was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. At that time the Blue Cross plan they were under had a daily cap on what they would pay for radiation and chemo. The patient was responsible for the difference, which in this case was about 40% of the bill. She died after 11 months of daily treatments. My client told me that if it hadn't been for that cancer plan, he would have gone completely under financially. The emotional toll of losing his wife was already almost too much to bear. Imagine if he had also lost his home.
A friend was visiting the other day. She just celebrated her 28 anniversary with Colonial in the cancer claims dept. I asked a few questions about how they pay certain benefits and they were OK but CUL has them beat hands down.

I have been selling cancer plans for a few years.

Most companies offer treatment plans, some include a first occurrence benefit.

There are a few companies that sell lump sum plans with benefits ranging from $5k up to $100k for a diagnosis (not death, just a diagnosis).

Cancer insurance is a very logical sale, but most people are unaware of the need unless someone close to them has gone through lengthy treatment or an agent has sat down with them and explained the product.

It is a great product to tack on to existing clients who have life or med supp policies. If you can get in front of working age people cancer plans really hit home with the 40-60 age bracket. Pretty much every employer has someone dealing with cancer each year (either the employee or a family member) so it is just a matter of showing how the product would have helped fill in the gaps (deductible/coinsurance/out of pocket max, travel, lost income).

IMG_7602.JPG I wish I had taken out a cancer plan. I considered it a few years back and passed. My wife was diagnosed with nonHodgkins Lymphoma in 2017 and has went through surgery, chemo, and drug therapy every eight weeks. She will be finished in about 8 months. She is currently considered cured but the drug therapy is to help combat return of the disease. This is her new look after treatment.

Back