I Like Geico, but My Motorcycle Policy Seems a Little Off

Admittedly I can be a touch longwinded so perhaps I didn't make this point clear:

I think a local agent is more likely to explain coverages to a customer and I think that's important. The "average joe" as you put it absolutely doesn't know what their limits mean and that is negligent on the part of any agent, direct or indy, that doesn't explain that to them.

As an agent, I advocate what's best for the client. For many clients they are better off both in terms of price and expertise in working with a local agent and with companies like progressive I believe they can always call the national call center, use the online account management system, etc.

I think you're just getting nasty with your last line. Not all local agents bring value to the table either. There are plenty of local agents that are terrible at what they do.

Let me ask you this:

If I've managed an Allstate office before and am more than familiar with what I need and Geico can offer me the best rates on the coverage I need, what is the value of a local agent? Maybe there is something I'm missing here.

I whole heartly agree some local agents provide no value.... When I bought my house I called around, could not beleive how many agents didn't even call back, so I gave my business to my uncle. Fast forward 3 years and my uncle retires and sells the agency...I have not recieved a call or anything...I have a roof claim I call MY AGENT. And they give me the carriers 800 number and tell me to call there...I call the carrier they tell me to call another 800 number of the adjusted 2 states away....3 days later the adjusted calls back and tells me to take digital photos and email it to them and get 3 qoutes. great value from my agent.

I whole heartly agree some local agents provide no value.... When I bought my house I called around, could not beleive how many agents didn't even call back, so I gave my business to my uncle. Fast forward 3 years and my uncle retires and sells the agency...I have not recieved a call or anything...I have a roof claim I call MY AGENT. And they give me the carriers 800 number and tell me to call there...I call the carrier they tell me to call another 800 number of the adjusted 2 states away....3 days later the adjusted calls back and tells me to take digital photos and email it to them and get 3 qoutes. great value from my agent.

Yeah.. when it comes to claims, it makes little difference if you bought from an agent or online.. You are going to end up calling a toll free number and dealing with dome faceless claims person either way.

Yeah.. when it comes to claims, it makes little difference if you bought from an agent or online.. You are going to end up calling a toll free number and dealing with dome faceless claims person either way.

I file claims for my clients all the time.

On a motorcycle, you should have them AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE because when hit, you WILL receive injuries. People on Motorcycles should have an umbrella WITH UM-UIM.

DO you even have med pay coverage?

I have the state maximum for med pay.

You really think 300/300 is low?

Me too...I filed a claim for a client on Christmas morning. Obviously there are some deadbeat agents but the good ones are priceless.

Forgive my ignorance, maybe I truly am missing something here. State Farm offices are the only ones I'm aware of that actually process claims in the office (and I could be wrong about that too).

What exactly does "filing a claim" mean? For example, were I in an accident and to report it to the insurance company having all the facts vs relaying them to an agent who then relays them to the insurance company, how does that do anything but add steps to the process? Isn't the carrier the one that is going to handle and process my claim?

Back in the day when I had State Farm, someone hit the front of my car. Not a lot of damage and not my fault.

My State Farm agent was about as worthless as tits on a bull. When I called - voicemail. Most calls never returned.

Then I hit the issue. The body shop called and told me that State Farm, because my relatively new car had over 15,000 miles on it, could use aftermarket parts and what they were authorized to use wouldn't line up properly causing my the front of my car to look like crap.

When I finally got a hold of my agent, he snarkily pointed out that yes, they didn't have to use factory parts and the tone was "and don't bug me with your BS."

So much for them.

The funny part is agents bring this on themselves. How many times do you hear about agents that want to sell online? Well, hey, once you go down that path, you have to accept other people who do exactly that.

How many agents can really articulate the value they bring to the transaction? This is important and should be presented to prospects, but yet, very few agents can say why they should be involved in a meaningful manner.

Here is a few tests:
- Call an agent. Is the phone answered directly? Or if not, is there a message about when you will get a return call? 800 numbers (like Geico, Progressive, 21st Century, etc) are almost always answered during any reasonable time of the day.
- Does the agent take the time to listen or does he want you to come into his office? Face it, the office is so he can upsell you.
- Does the agent provide you the tools you need? This is things like online raters, policy comparisons, face to face communications (even via deskshare if needed)?
- Is the agent really empowered to do anything? Can they bind coverage, resolve billing problems, fix whatever? Or at least, deal with the issues for you?

Most agents don't answer their phone. Its downhill from there. If they cost more and can't explain why, then say goodbye.

Now, I'll tell my clients the difference between Geico and me is that both of us know the rules, but Geico will use them in their favor, I'll use them in your favor, as much as I can. This usually results in lower premiums overall, though honestly, carriers are closing down the loopholes that used to exist.

Dan

I agree with all of this. In today's world, one cannot afford to not be great. GEICO was busy changing the world a decade ago while insurance execs were busy high-fiving each other on the golf course. Now, they're playing catch up. The problem is, if you look through this forum on the thread about why you became an agent, people post things like, "so I could work in my underwear," or "so I could work when I want and not be bothered."

As agents, we're supposed to be there for our clients when they need us most. But, a lot of agents are not. Call 10 agents on a Friday afternoon and see if they are there. Now is a great time to be a great Agent. Or, on the flip side, a great time to update your LinkedIn profile.

The one thing that really shines for Agents is when disaster strikes. I spent 5 days in Joplin digging insured's liability only cars out from under trees, finding priceless positions, etc. I saw Agents from Farmers, American Family, and State Farm there doing the same thing. Nowhere to be found, as far as I saw, was a little green lizard helping his fellow man. That right there is the value of a local agent. But, the reality is, Joplin doesn't happen all that often, which makes it difficult to prove value when GEICO spends a billion dollars on stupid ads...

It's a highly competitive game. Consumers want service when they need it. Which isn't always during banker's hours. I predict fewer, and much larger agencies in the future. What say you?

Many of my clients think it's a good service when they walk in our office with a claim and walk out 10 minutes later with a check for payment in full. Maybe Geico can do the same thing but I doubt it. just one small thing that makes an agent better than a direct writer

Back