I Need a Drink!

Insurance-Guy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Well I need to vent!!!!!

For the most part my staff is great and can handle most things and handle them well. I am extremely grateful for the jobs the do.

BUT here it is but…I have a few employees that are driving me NUTS the past couple of weeks. I have two offices that are about 20 minutes apart, my daily routine is to check in at the first office and pick up the money. Today I walked in and said “HI” and BLAM “I CAN’T WORK WITH HER ANYMORE” (WTF?) So after listing to 30 minutes of what each person does wrong…I told them this is nuts…and I feel like I am a D A M N school teacher, or guidance counselor. I have actually had to talk to them 3 times in the past two weeks regarding these same types of things. The bad thing is I am not there to see what goes on…but it is a she said…she said thing. Today I laid down the law…I told them I am not going to put up with this anymore…they both know that I replaced all three people that worked at the office before either of them and if I have to start over with new people I will do it again. The thing that kills me is that this is by far the best month that…that office has ever had. So by the time it was over they both seemed to have at least “shook hands” told me that they would make an effort to get along. So far so good…

Now at my other office I have one staff member who is extremely efficient however IMO does what she needs to do and doesn't always look for other things that could be done. I have talked to her about things made small hints and she seems to get on the ball and then starts sliding backwards. I have a staff that consists of mainly CSR's that are licensed agents but are not real "producers" if you know what I mean. I am not trying to rock the boat as they say…we have an extremely good book and our production is good. I just know we can do more if everyone worked together as a team and concentrated on work when they are here.

Well I feel better…anyone want to have a “drink” with me. I know I am not the only one that has this stuff happen…I hear it all of the time from business owners.

In my office its like Middle School as well. The CSRs never can get along and basically hate what they do. The agents are always pissed off (myself included) due to rates, reports, reports, and oh more reports ha.

Ahhhh I'm having a drink and counting down the days till I can go indy and build an agency large enough to have the OP's problem.

I'd clean house,,so many people wanting a job right now..Id replace them and tell them to find another job..

Im in a family business, but my father would so fire me,,if I was not doing my job correct..

I'd clean house,,so many people wanting a job right now..Id replace them and tell them to find another job..

Im in a family business, but my father would so fire me,,if I was not doing my job correct..

bs is part of any business.

If you have decent people, it would actually cost u money to replace them and go through enough new hires to get back up to snuff.

If you have decent people, it would actually cost u money to replace them and go through enough new hires to get back up to snuff.

That is true...

But put the fear of god in them...let them at least thing,,that other people want their jobs,,and they better act right.

A couple of months ago we had our house painted. We got a referral to a painting contractor. He is Ukrainian as are his workers.

They did a great job... incredible attention to detail. I asked him how he gets them to work so hard and do so well and he said "They know I'm the boss, they know I'm the one who pays them, and they know that in this economy I can replace any one of them with ten others before lunch today."

If you are in the Sacramento area and need a indoor or outdoor house painter, I got the guy!

This is so true...that old saying about the grass isn't always greener...but just when you think you have finally got everything straight more drama...or personal shi@! I stop and think if I did get rid of one or both sure for the money I could find someone else but this office is harder since I am not there most of the time. So the one lady has been with me for over 3 years and other than a monthly nervous breakdown (somewhat joking) she is great, the other lady is also great and is hungry which is something you can't teach. I have thought serriously about replacing one but it would cause some static since i would have to rearrange things at my other office while training the new person but that might not be that big of deal. At this office I have two guys who work part time and are straight commission producers. One of them has been in the business 30 years and is kind of retired but wants to keep busy so he kind of does his own thing with me...he just laughs at me. He always tells me that is the part of the business that I don't miss.

I love what I do but I miss what I used to do if that makes sense. My day now consist of so much BS that I don't even get to issue policies anymore. I used to issue 60 + policies a month hell I had months that I broke 100. Now I may get 15. Half of them I just turn over to someone to issue so I can move to the next problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
But put the fear of god in them...let them at least thing,,that other people want their jobs,,and they better act right.

TRUST me if the fear isn't in them they don't believe in god. I let them both do their little rant today and then I kind of went off. Told them to put their big girl panties on stop this childish BS and I don't care who pissed in who's cornflakes but you two better get your shi@ together or I will find two people who want to work and can get along. I always have anyone that wants to send a resume fax it in to both offices...they know I just got two resumes last week. I reminded them of that. I do have one person that is an agency manager for some local competition...she is good and I thought she was completely loyal to that agency and was highly compensated but I have learned otherwise. I put the feelers out and I would give her one hell of a contract to come to work for me.

Last edited:
Back