Ideas for a new Commercial Producer

Jessica Durphy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Kentucky
Ok guys... I have a new guy who is eager to sell and grow his book of business. He's new to the industry, but has taken time to learn products and quoting system. He is piggy backing off of my "name" in the community and getting some leads and selling some smaller businesses.
My question to you guru's is this... what are some effective techniques that you "successful" commercial producers are using ...
He is out in the community, passing out business cards, stopping in businesses, giving away "goodies", going to Chamber events, We have a telemarketer making calls for him... Yet all leads are either duds or coming in very slowly!

Do you have any help or advice for him?

I am a commercial only producer. Not everyone can sell insurance to a business owner. Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

This is the best route. Canvass, canvass, canvass. That has BY FAR been my most productive route for new business before I learned how to ask for referrals. Once he has a few sales, he needs to educate himself on how to PROPERLY ask for referrals. I get an average of 3 referrals per sale, which turns into 1 or two sales, on average. After that he should start developing a niche.

For him, if he already has some commercial sales, he should watch videos and do reading on how to PROPERLY ask for referrals, then get them from those businesses.

most states outside of CA are pretty easy to Telemarket. Curious what struggles you are having with the telemarketer - are they appointment setting or x-dating for the agent?

1-1's are a big renewal month. Not impossible to get 100+ x-dates for 4th quarter from now until September calling just part time.

In between inbound leads and referrals you have to call call call. Qualify/Record every effective date and set follow ups in your management system for their renewal. Record carrier info so you already know what market to use next time and which to avoid. Help him develop a niche as far as outbound is concerned. It can be hard for a new guy to talk about trucking then swap to a Construction conversation.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your input. If you can think of other things, I'd be so thankful and appreciative.

The struggle we have with our telemarketer is this: appointments are made.. and then we call to confirm, the business owner (or contact) is mysteriously oblivious to the appointment made. Very frustrating...

Thank you guys for your input. If you can think of other things, I'd be so thankful and appreciative.

The struggle we have with our telemarketer is this: appointments are made.. and then we call to confirm, the business owner (or contact) is mysteriously oblivious to the appointment made. Very frustrating...

Jessica,

Very sorry to hear that. The first part of your response says that the telemarketer made an appointment. The second part of your response says that your telemarketer never really made an appointment. This may be part of the problem.

She did.. however, when we called to verify the appointment before going out.... but the business owner /contact... acted as though they had no idea who we were and why we were calling to verify!

Jessica, I've been in b2b sales for 17 years. At one point I was an appointment setter.

I hear what you are saying, but if the contact has no idea who you are and why you are calling, then it's not a real appointment. Pointing at something and saying it's an appointment, doesn't make it an appointment.

If the client has you in their calendar, knows why you are coming, is interested in talking to you, and has their check book and relevant insurance information available, then THAT is a real appointment. This description, by the way, fits every appointment I go on. I set all my appointments by referral, which I assume you are in the process of learning about from my first response.

While, we're on the topic whats a good place to pick up commercial training?

As far as I know on the job is the only way. You just gotta get out there and get your butt kicked. The best way is to start out in personal, them move on to simple small businesses, then work your way up.

Jessica, I've been in b2b sales for 17 years. At one point I was an appointment setter.

I hear what you are saying, but if the contact has no idea who you are and why you are calling, then it's not a real appointment. Pointing at something and saying it's an appointment, doesn't make it an appointment.

If the client has you in their calendar, knows why you are coming, is interested in talking to you, and has their check book and relevant insurance information available, then THAT is a real appointment. This description, by the way, fits every appointment I go on. I set all my appointments by referral, which I assume you are in the process of learning about from my first response.

My interest is peaked! Do tell!
My definition of appointment was naturally different than yours.

Back