If You Have 50 Exclusive In House Telemarketing Leads...

If Craigslist is working for you then bless you, we're using workforce alliance right now to get people on the phone. Craigslist was a dud.

My top rep came off of craigslist but he was certainly the exception and not the rule.

Not sure, but isn't this illegal? I thought you had to be licensed as an agent to receive pay in a commission structure? I know in Tennessee we can't even pay someone to hang door hangers for us, if we pay by a response, like $50 for each hanger that generates a response. We have to pay for every hanger, no matter what the response rate is. Am I wrong on this????

From my understanding you're wrong. You could pay by response as long as they were paid minimum wage at least if you had them as an hourly employee or paid as a outside contractor only, but only if you paid per response and not per policy sold. That's just because they're your employee, if you weren't their employer I believe you could even give them a % based referral bonus for referring you customers, as long as it has nothing to do with medicare or something they had insurable interest in (because of rebating rules). Since they are working for you though, they'd have to be licensed to receive any form of a commission split.

Although, come to think of it I guess my wife needs to be licensed she gets a ton of my commissions. Kids too.

From my understanding you're wrong. You could pay by response as long as they were paid minimum wage at least if you had them as an hourly employee or paid as a outside contractor only, but only if you paid per response and not per policy sold. That's just because they're your employee, if you weren't their employer I believe you could even give them a % based referral bonus for referring you customers, as long as it has nothing to do with medicare or something they had insurable interest in (because of rebating rules). Since they are working for you though, they'd have to be licensed to receive any form of a commission split.

Although, come to think of it I guess my wife needs to be licensed she gets a ton of my commissions. Kids too.

I'm sure he's doing these all 1099. Here's the other thing, THESE LAWS VARY BY STATE! What you're saying could be completely correct in your state, but not in others. I'd like it if someone would correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in most states if not all you can pay per lead. Are there any states where you can't buy leads? That's always going to be a caveat that should work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well I guess, this coming up week is the ultimate truth...so far I got 2 appointments set for the week already.

So how did you make out? Number of leads and close rate? Your callers still working for you?

Last edited:
You guys are majoring in the minors and minoring in the majors. As long as employer and employee sign the employment contract you should be ok (as long as you are not engaged in illegal activities).

Back