If You Speak Spanish, Here is a Free Lead

Hilarious, John. It reminded me of a Yiddish expression: "Gai kakem oifen yam!" Literal translation: "Go sh*t in the ocean." It is used to tell a person to "get lost."

BTW many police departments train their dogs to respond only to commands in German in order to thwart someone trying to befuddle the dogs.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I've always heard a different reason for it. The whole attack dog training regime started in Germany, and they've just kept the tradition of German commands. Perhaps the desire to avoid confusion is why they've never changed.

But Vol, these dogs are now bred in the U,S, If they were imported from Germany I would agree with you. I know the Border Patrol does not want to use Spanish language for their dogs.

But Vol, these dogs are now bred in the U,S, If they were imported from Germany I would agree with you. I know the Border Patrol does not want to use Spanish language for their dogs.

I understand what you are saying. It is tradition, there are still groups that teach similiar behavior to dogs in the US for competition. Why you compete with attack dogs is beyond me, but they do, and they still use German commands out of tradition. I've heard that the military and police adapted their training from the same school.

Vol, what I find interesting is that the U.S. Department of Agriculture uses Beagles at airports throughout the country to sniff out prohibited fruits and meat in luggage arriving from overseas. They are called the Beagle Brigade.

Back