I'm Going Retail

Alhambra

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm very new to the Insurance Industry, but I'm fully licensed and I just got my keys to small store-front retail office building located on a busy car traffic boulevard, across the street from DMV, and surrounded by three gigantic senior apartment buildings home to as many as 1,000 independent living senior citizens.

I plan to offer Medicare Supplements, Medicare Advantage, Regular Medical Plans, Stand alone Dental Plans, Final Expenses Insurance, and variety of Life and Annuities programs.

How should I promote my new office?

How can I get my name known quickly?

Should I throw grand opening parties?

Should I attempt to recruit agents right away?

What else should I do to make it a success?

If you're across the street from the DMV you really should try to sell some auto insurance!

I disagree...If they are only thinking about Auto Insurance when walking into the DMV chances are its because they only keep a policy long enough to show proof of insurance....However I thought the same thing when he mentioned the DMV.

Too bad I can't think up a nice slogan for a banner something like While your waiting and waiting and waiting on the DMV left me help you ....

Go over there in the mornings when the lines are huge and people are stuck waiting forever and give out some donuts and coffee (and cards). Tell them your office is right across the street if they ever have any questions about their insurance needs. Heck, go hit them up while they are waiting in line outside before the doors open. Chilly morning, hot coffee, fresh donut.....

Since CA DMVs are closed 3 Fridays a month, invite them in to your office on a "closed" Friday for an "open house" with pastries and coffee.

You have a captive market at the DMV, they ain't going anywhere in a big hurry :biggrin:

Last edited:
Put up a banner that says "give us 15 minutes and we can save you 15% or more".

Wait, that might be taken.

If you're across the street from the DMV you really should try to sell some auto insurance!

Good point. My Landlord sells that and I can't compete. But, we have agreed to refer business to each other.

;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You could throw a small 'grand opening' memorial day bbq. Hot dogs and chicken... cheap. Tea and lemonade... cheap

Great idea. We have a large parking in the back. Maybe I can set up tables of refreshments in the corner of the parking lot and place balloons and signs in the perimeter to invite people to my grand opening.

I will be selling Senior Insurance plans such as Medicare Supplements, Medicare Advantage, Final Expenses, Medical, Dental, and Life.

I think I would circulate a flier about the party in the senior community couple of days in advance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Since CA DMVs are closed 3 Fridays a month, invite them in to your office on a "closed" Friday for an "open house" with pastries and coffee.

You have a captive market at the DMV, they ain't going anywhere in a big hurry :biggrin:

Like have someone in costume with a sign saying: DMV is CLOSED, but we're OPEN!" COME ON IN....LOL

:D

Last edited:
Great idea. We have a large parking in the back. Maybe I can set up tables of refreshments in the corner of the parking lot and place balloons and signs in the perimeter to invite people to my grand opening.

I will be selling Senior Insurance plans such as Medicare Supplements, Medicare Advantage, Final Expenses, Medical, Dental, and Life.

As long as CMS doesn't find out that you are serving a meal while passing out information you are fine. Or, don't have any marketing material about MA or PDP plans.

You need to be VERY careful what you do because I'm betting your license is worth more to you than a few quick sales.

Rick

Last edited:
Definately go check out the older folks in person. Most prefer that to phone or email, and your right next to them. Take good care of them and ask for referrals, old folks in those places spend plenty of time hanging out together and shooting the breeze all day.

I wouldn't try to initiate any client contacts at the DMV. There is no place on earth where I am more pissed off than when I am at the DMV. You might get smacked by someone.

Back