Incentive Trips

lementex

Expert
Are they as great as they suggest they are? I've never been to one. My father has been all over the world on them, and goes every year somewhere new.

Do these incentive trips actually lead you to pushing a certain product with a certain company? Or maybe you try to write with one carrier in order to qualify?

On the flipside, any horror stories?

Now that Ive become contracted with several carriers, Ive received their 2013 Incentive trips information and some of them look pretty good!

Worrying about incentive trips is for Career Agents and pharmaceutical reps.

If your indy, find the best product for the client. Do a good job. And dont stop prospecting.

If you can set 2 appointments every day for sometime in the future; you will be able to take your own incentive trips to wherever you want.

Now if your market just happens to fit well with a certain company, and you happen to qualify for that carriers trip. Then all the better. Often agents have a core 4 or 5 carriers that most of their business goes through. Some qualify for trips, some dont. To most it isnt a priority.

But to push a certain company for the sole purpose of qualifying for a trip is unethical imo. But that is exactly why the carriers do the trips. To encourage agents to pimp their products.

Do the right thing for the client, and the right thing for you will follow.

As a new agent, your sole focus should be 2 appointments per day for some time in the future.

Are they as great as they suggest they are? I've never been to one. My father has been all over the world on them, and goes every year somewhere new.

Do these incentive trips actually lead you to pushing a certain product with a certain company? Or maybe you try to write with one carrier in order to qualify?

On the flipside, any horror stories?

Now that Ive become contracted with several carriers, Ive received their 2013 Incentive trips information and some of them look pretty good!
If your father has been all over the world on these trips wouldn't he be a good person to ask what they are about?

If your father has been all over the world on these trips wouldn't he be a good person to ask what they are about?

Good catch. You're a smart one. Yes he would, and he was. And he had a lot to say about it.

Does that mean I can't ask for other people's opinions? It's a light curiosity, that's all. Personally I have never been on one. Most of my production was distributed pretty evenly between three carriers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Worrying about incentive trips is for Career Agents and pharmaceutical reps.

If your indy, find the best product for the client. Do a good job. And dont stop prospecting.

If you can set 2 appointments every day for sometime in the future; you will be able to take your own incentive trips to wherever you want.

Now if your market just happens to fit well with a certain company, and you happen to qualify for that carriers trip. Then all the better. Often agents have a core 4 or 5 carriers that most of their business goes through. Some qualify for trips, some dont. To most it isnt a priority.

But to push a certain company for the sole purpose of qualifying for a trip is unethical imo. But that is exactly why the carriers do the trips. To encourage agents to pimp their products.

Do the right thing for the client, and the right thing for you will follow.

As a new agent, your sole focus should be 2 appointments per day for some time in the future.

Lots of good advice there. Who's the new agent?

Last edited:
Trips depends on the company as well. Some have numerous meetings thoughout which are kind of a drag. Others make it more of a vacation as an incentive should be.

The company trip is reported to the IRS on your taxes

If you go on your own family trip you dont have to report it to the IRS....

Besides, why would you want to hang out with insurance people on vacation...

If you go on your own you pay 100% for everything so the amount on your taxes is still considerably cheaper. Not all companies 1099 the full value either.

Join up with another agent and his family.. Discuss business on the first day and the last day of the trip and not only make it non reportable but deductible.. :biggrin:

Back