Independent AAA Insurance Agency Owner?

Just curious here. If you have the niche market you talk about, why go to AAA or Goosehead. It seems like all of your considerations basically already have a brand and a set up. What’s stopping you from doing this on your own? Not being negative about the groups but the freedom you would have without joining one of these would be so much more. My experience is the more someone else pays for, the more control they have. Why not come up with your own brand and market to that niche? In NC there are good personal lines carriers that will appoint you. National General, foremost, Dairyland, Discovery. You can get your homeowners stuff through an MGA until you get an appointment. Coming from Farmers it may seem like the best way is to have an “agency in a box” type model like these groups but long term they will be just like Farmers. Just a thought.
What he said.

If things don't work out with AAA, you may want to contact SUNUP. They are a newer entry into P&C. I am acquainted with their recruiter in my area and if I were in P&C still I would have given them consideration.

Just curious here. If you have the niche market you talk about, why go to AAA or Goosehead. It seems like all of your considerations basically already have a brand and a set up. What’s stopping you from doing this on your own? Not being negative about the groups but the freedom you would have without joining one of these would be so much more. My experience is the more someone else pays for, the more control they have. Why not come up with your own brand and market to that niche? In NC there are good personal lines carriers that will appoint you. National General, foremost, Dairyland, Discovery. You can get your homeowners stuff through an MGA until you get an appointment. Coming from Farmers it may seem like the best way is to have an “agency in a box” type model like these groups but long term they will be just like Farmers. Just a thought.

Exactly

My niche market is motion picture and video production, distribution, and allied services. I use MGA's for those markets in all 28 states I'm licensed in. Those MGA's provide you a quoting portal and it's real easy to get a product bind, when you do not have binding authority.

I do have appointments through other MGA's for other commercial line products, but for the most part I've focused on my niche market.

As for personal lines, I'm looking for an agency-in-the-box solution like Brightway or Goosehead. I want to use there system to leverage and grow quickly. I do not want myself or my team to service, but focus on sales. Both Brightway and Goosehead have negotiated higher commission structures, so end the end it equals out to be the same as if I had a direct appointment or went through another agency group (association, cluster, etc.) I would get the same commission as if I was with someone else, but not all the headache. That matters the most to me in the end.
That’s understandable. There is certainly a case to be made for that! The math I’ve done works out way better financially to hire service staff but to each his own. Goosehead restricts or doesn’t really offer commercial to my understanding. Correct me if I’m wrong so the facts are documented here. I just know of agents with Goosehead who refer commercial out. You will still have to service that.

There are some MGAs like Stuckey and RPS who have good personal lines options as well without having to go to Goosehead or Brightway. But like I said. To each his own. Thanks for the info. I appreciate the transparency. That’s a great niche. Have not heard of others specializing like in those classes.

Do you use Stuckey's Covercore? What is that about?
I have no idea what that is. Are used their online raider for personal lines and I’ve used them for a commercial as well. They have some standard carriers for commercial and for personal lines. I also use them and now for non-standard homeowners L. Lots of the MGA‘s have the same companies for their non-standard homeowners. I have a couple that are my favorites and that tend to win and all for the best coverage.

What are the personal lines carriers that Stuckey's have you have access too? (Encompass, Metlife, Allied/Nationwide, Progressive, Safeco, Stillwater)

What rare the commercial lines carriers that Stuckey's have you have access too? (CNA, Hartford, Liberty Mutual, Metlife, Nationwide, and Travelers)
It really all depends on the state. I have access to some carriers in North Carolina and South Carolina that they may not have in Texas. I get notifications fairly often that they’ve added carriers to different states but usually it doesn’t affect me at all. Outside of progressive in Stillwater I believe those are some of the carriers that they offer. Give them a shout and see what they say. They should be able to tell you any of this.

Back