Independent Agent Interested in Expanding - Need Feedback!

shawnhersh

Expert
I am currently an IC with UHC concentrating on the DSNP market. I know most don't like this clientele but it's a niche I feel very comfortable with and have had quite a bit of success building my book. UHC gives me great support with leads and marketing, but I'm finding lately other companies have a much more extensive network in specific counties, which seems to be my biggest hurdle. Northern Ohio seems to be strong, SW and SE are tough.

I've been thinking for some time of contracting with other companies to expand my business, but don't really know how that works since I've only ever been contracted with one company. I do all my own marketing and networking so I don't need the free leads that UHC offers; most aren't any good anyway.

Based on above, do I contract with additional companies, learn there DSNP products and offer according to market? Or am I better off contracting through an independent agency who already has contracts with these clients? The companies I would most likely approach are Humana, Aetna and Anthem.

Would love to get feedback on direction and best route to take. Thanks so much!

Shawn

Back