Independent agents selling MAPD nationally

We've only sold Medicare Supplements and selling them nationally is a nonissue.

For those of you that sell MAPD over the phone in the majority of the U.S., what are your biggest hurdles?

I'm assuming certification with the companies/plans you want to sell would be a nightmare, but maybe not?

For those of you that sell MAPD over the phone in the majority of the U.S., what are your biggest hurdles?

I'm assuming certification with the companies/plans you want to sell would be a nightmare, but maybe not?

I imagine it gives more credibility if you know the provider networks in the area that is being marketed to. Honestly, I don’t know how to sell on the phone to the demographic that makes up my base. I’m leery about giving too much helpful information, giving them too long of a leash and then they would go somewhere else. Selling in person assures me of getting the sale. Talking with a dumb azz on the phone does not.

If you treat the MAPD sale very systematically its not too hard to find the right plan and close it.

I do not sell nationally but when I get a lead in an area even in my own state but maybe a different city, I follow my system.

1. I tell people let's look up Rxs and see who does well (similar to your PDP sales).

2. OK, looks like Aetna, Humana, and UHC all "rise to the top."

3. Let's check your docs and hospitals

4. OK, 2 of the three work with your docs.

5. Option B has the lower Max OOP. It's an HMO. Is that OK?

Cool - Scope - Open Summary of Beneifts - walk thru - sign up.

[HMO is no? OK, cool, lowest Max OOP PPO is __. Let's look at that.]

Obviously some other stuff can come up like Part B giveback or dental or whatever.

But the above is a good "roadmap" I use when in unfamiliar territory and it works well.

I imagine it gives more credibility if you know the provider networks in the area that is being marketed to. Honestly, I don’t know how to sell on the phone to the demographic that makes up my base. I’m leery about giving too much helpful information, giving them too long of a leash and then they would go somewhere else. Selling in person assures me of getting the sale. Talking with a dumb azz on the phone does not.

lol . This aep maybe 30% of my sales were dual/lis . 95% of my calls and sometimes 20 a day are duals/lis . I answer all calls fast and unbelievably I had tremendous loyalty with duals on retention . But they can suck the life out of you . I decided 6 months ago going forward I want more middle income clients .

The key is to kinda talk them thru what you're doing as you do it and at the end they feel as if you did a great job sorting and compiling a ton of information and options way faster than they could have ever done. It's a pretty smooth close.

CMS should not allow MAPD's to be sold over the phone. That would stop all the phone calls, tv commercials and having independent agents having to record their phone calls.

CMS should not allow MAPD's to be sold over the phone. That would stop all the phone calls, tv commercials and having independent agents having to record their phone calls.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It would be extremely annoying to not have the ability to change my customer's plan during AEP unless I drove 5 hours to their house. Plus, this would give insurance companies an extreme advantage when a person is weighing pros and cons of using a broker vs going straight with the company.

The key is to kinda talk them thru what you're doing as you do it and at the end they feel as if you did a great job sorting and compiling a ton of information and options way faster than they could have ever done. It's a pretty smooth close.

Yep. Agreed. Don’t you find though that the poorer ppl actually NEED your help? The higher income demographic does not need as much help since they are educated enough to figure out on their own (usually)? During the previous AEP, I I received a doctors’ office referral, but gave away too much info (actually believing) that he would call me the next day at designated time. Truthfully, with all of the hype, I gave him the ammo to set it up for a telemarketer to sign him up. Just can’t be too nice of a guy. I will NOT set them up with Medicaid until after they have been on my plan for a few months- I’ve been burned there too. If I see they are loyal, then I’ll help them out. The poor are a TON of work. If I could have all PPO or Med Supp clients, it would be a breeze.

In the very busy AEPs, I have been guilty
Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It would be extremely annoying to not have the ability to change my customer's plan during AEP unless I drove 5 hours to their house. Plus, this would give insurance companies an extreme advantage when a person is weighing pros and cons of using a broker vs going straight with the company.

It seems to me that an insurance company had to mail a packet to the prospect before they could discuss ANY en
lol . This aep maybe 30% of my sales were dual/lis . 95% of my calls and sometimes 20 a day are duals/lis . I answer all calls fast and unbelievably I had tremendous loyalty with duals on retention . But they can suck the life out of you . I decided 6 months ago going forward I want more middle income clients .

If you treat the MAPD sale very systematically its not too hard to find the right plan and close it.

I do not sell nationally but when I get a lead in an area even in my own state but maybe a different city, I follow my system.

1. I tell people let's look up Rxs and see who does well (similar to your PDP sales).

2. OK, looks like Aetna, Humana, and UHC all "rise to the top."

3. Let's check your docs and hospitals

4. OK, 2 of the three work with your docs.

5. Option B has the lower Max OOP. It's an HMO. Is that OK?

Cool - Scope - Open Summary of Beneifts - walk thru - sign up.

[HMO is no? OK, cool, lowest Max OOP PPO is __. Let's look at that.]

Obviously some other stuff can come up like Part B giveback or dental or whatever.

But the above is a good "roadmap" I use when in unfamiliar territory and it works well.
Oh look, you misplaced Scope on your order here...it's first, yes?

All that plus they are never locked in. And any agent that gets in their house and has a plan with a free toothbrush can flip them.

Seems like someone told you that 2-years ago. Someone very wise I might say.

Back