Insurance License Suspended over failure to pay College Loans

On another note, if you start depositing $125 per month when your baby is born, by the time the kid is 18, if you get 8% annually, you have $60K to put towards his tuition...
Yep.

This is what we're doing. 300/mo per kid...then hope for scholarships so we can just keep it lol.

That being said, there are no loans for retirement so save that $$ 1st.

Colleges and Universities can start reducing costs by having $10 downloads of all textbooks, followed by a reduction in the number of TA's used to teach a class while the tenured teacher is off writing his next book. Next step would be an annual cost of tuition which could be extended into a 20 year payoff at 0% interest

When did they graduate?

If you guys are comparing pre 2000 to post 2000 student loan debt you are not comparing apples to apples.

I paid off mine and my wife's ... not the same as what folks are dealing with since 2000 save for the lucky few who managed to get a degree and keep the debt below 20k or so.

Student loan debt is designed for lifetime indentured servitude.
One did and one did not.. What difference does that make? They both had student debt and both paid it off. Both also managed to keep their student loans at as low as they could by working the entire time they were in school.

Ah, no. Millions of us paid them off. I drove a $2,500 car, never ate out, and lived in a $485/mo apartment until it was paid off. My hourly pay was like $12 @ Staples and my wife made about the same. Worked some side jobs as well.

You went to college just to make $12/h at staples? You could have done that without the degree and saved a ton of money.

Btw, that job at staples still pays $12/h... but the apartment you lived in probably costs $1k/m now.

There are so many options on student loan repayment that tbh, if you are in a situation of "non payment" then you really have ignored all attempts to resolve the matter.

You went to college just to make $12/h at staples? You could have done that without the degree and saved a ton of money.

Btw, that job at staples still pays $12/h... but the apartment you lived in probably costs $1k/m now.

Maybe he had a degree in liberal arts, lol.

By the way, a 1 br apt where I live is around $2,300/mo. 20mins north it's about $3,200.

What difference does that make?

One dollar when I graduated from college is about $1.85 today.

One dollar in tuition when I graduated is $5.36 today.

I really don't understand you Louis. You should be so much more understanding of the plight of the poor and middle class than you are. It is as though you are stuck in 1966.

It is a different world. And for those raising families after the dot com bubble compared to before, it has been a much tougher row to hoe as the saying goes.

Dot com bubble, 9/11, housing bubble, financial crisis, the great recession, Covid, and coming to a neighborhood near you soon: US Housing Bubble, part deux.

I worked three years out of high school and I managed to save enough to pay for all but $2500 of my college tuition. Three years to save four years of tuition as an auto mechanic. No way I'd accomplish that today as an 18 year old turning a wrench. My dad went to the same college as I did. A dollar when he went to college was equal to $4.58 when I went to school. But tuition had merely doubled in the 25 years between he and I.

Just think about the math for a second. No one is suggesting folks don't pay back their loans. This thread started because some state somewhere apparently thinks that if someone is in arrears on a student loan the best punishment is to deny them the ability to make a living.

I am for working people, Louis, not the f'n politicians, bankers, and Wall Street brokers who have been buying yachts with money that should be in the pockets of working Americans.

Different world than 60 years ago and different world than 30 years ago. Like it or not, kids today have it much harder than you and I did. And I got my start making $2.50 stacking bales of hay in barns. That doesn't mean my son should accept the same pay for the same job today.

Last edited:
This is off the subject of insurance, but these replies reminds me of biblical scriptures that speak against judging others

But, I get it. It helps take our minds off our own faults.

No dog in this. My three sons paid for their school thru 4 and 5 years of service, USMC & USN. My daughter is working her way through a State college and some help from us. .

However, It struck me that Titey sounded like he was judging people for judging.
No biggie, not judging :1biggrin:

Latest posts

Back