Insurance License Suspended over failure to pay College Loans

Different world than 60 years ago and different world than 30 years ago. Like it or not, kids today have it much harder than you and I did. And I got my start making $2.50 stacking bales of hay in barns. That doesn't mean my son should accept the same pay for the same job today.
This is the biggest issue for people entering the workforce today.

$2 an hour weeding onions 30 years ago sucked, but I had some pocket money and could buy a few video games on my own.

In the 60s and 70s, houses could be paid off well inside mortgage terms with just an average job. Same with college. Now kids will be lucky to even qualify for a mortgage in a location that's halfway decent and/or will be paying off their college loans for an exorbitant amount of time.

Wage stagnation is a thing. You see all of the signs up looking for employees? They wouldn't be there if they paid people a living wage.

What hits your bottom line harder, paying your employees more or having to reduce hours of operation because you can't even keep your business open?

No dog in this. My three sons paid for their school thru 4 and 5 years of service, USMC & USN. My daughter is working her way through a State college and some help from us. .

However, It struck me that Titey sounded like he was judging people for judging.
No biggie, not judging :1biggrin:
Notice how I included "us" and "we" in my response. :)

Veterans - One was a Sailor like the Oldman. The other two Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

My pops Retired Navy other brothers AF. I don't know if there are any Marines in the family tree.

Man those WW2 Military have some life stories. Anyone know what education benefits were available for some (Won't go into that) returning troops?

You see all of the signs up looking for employees? They wouldn't be there if they paid people a living wage.

But the old folks want to keep on believing it is due to the general laziness of younger folks.

That just isn't so. A buddy of mine is a contractor and has a small sales force of cold knocking home improvement sales people - all under 40. He pays them to sit home when it rains or snows, he pays them to stay home on holidays, and he pays them about $40/hour to knock doors whether they make a sale or not. Plus, he pays them a generous commission.

He has five knockers and four of them have been with him for years.

Pay people to work hard for you and you will find people to work hard for you.

Pay people $h*t wages and ... you get what you pay for.

What Covid laid bare is the truly abominable conditions of employment for many working people - families, teens, every level of America.

You know where all the restaurant and fast food workers have gone? NBo, they aren't sitting home collecting that "generous" $300/week unemployment "bonus." No sir ... they are getting $15+ and hour at Target and Walmart and Amazon ... they are getting $21.50/hour and up at warehouses and logistics companies.

All that $300/week did was give them the breathing room finally to see their way clear to have enough time off from their bullsh*t low wage jobs to go apply for and interview for a job that pays them closer to what a human being is worth.

Restauranst and fast food joints are going to have to figure out how to pay at least $15/hour plus bennies (health and 401(k) or the owners will have to roll up their owndamnsleeves and gettowork.

But the old folks want to keep on believing it is due to the general laziness of younger folks.

That just isn't so. A buddy of mine is a contractor and has a small sales force of cold knocking home improvement sales people - all under 40. He pays them to sit home when it rains or snows, he pays them to stay home on holidays, and he pays them about $40/hour to knock doors whether they make a sale or not. Plus, he pays them a generous commission.

He has five knockers and four of them have been with him for years.

Pay people to work hard for you and you will find people to work hard for you.

Pay people $h*t wages and ... you get what you pay for.

What Covid laid bare is the truly abominable conditions of employment for many working people - families, teens, every level of America.

You know where all the restaurant and fast food workers have gone? NBo, they aren't sitting home collecting that "generous" $300/week unemployment "bonus." No sir ... they are getting $15+ and hour at Target and Walmart and Amazon ... they are getting $21.50/hour and up at warehouses and logistics companies.

All that $300/week did was give them the breathing room finally to see their way clear to have enough time off from their bullsh*t low wage jobs to go apply for and interview for a job that pays them closer to what a human being is worth.

Restauranst and fast food joints are going to have to figure out how to pay at least $15/hour plus bennies (health and 401(k) or the owners will have to roll up their owndamnsleeves and gettowork.

And it will come but guess what ? A Big Mac combo will be $12 . A gallon of milk $10 . The employer will be as profitable as ever but will pass all cost on . So your guiz for today is this . Would you rather make $ 9 an hr and get a Big Mac combo for $7 and a gallon of milk for $4 or make $15 and pay the above I listed . The price of homes up 22% the last 2 yrs . Venezuela is a lesson for all . You can’t print money out of thin air and not gave mass inflation . What good are those $1 mil peso bills doing for Venezuela? The future for our kids looks bleak as the debt will have to be defaulted on at some pt

A Big Mac combo will be $12 . A gallon of milk $10 .

Except in areas where Taco Bell is already paying $15/hour the prices are about a nickle higher than where they are still paying $7.25 ... you are buying all the lies. The politicians, the bankers, the Wall Street brokers ... they love your gullibility.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many insurance agents are so anti-American worker.

You went to college just to make $12/h at staples? You could have done that without the degree and saved a ton of money.

Btw, that job at staples still pays $12/h... but the apartment you lived in probably costs $1k/m now.

No... I was in grad school and it was flexible hours - I paid off undergrad while in grad school.

I also worked at Henry Ford's house part time.

It was in Michigan (just south of Detroit) from 2008-10. Jobs weren't exactly falling out of the sky in Detroit during those years.

Except in areas where Taco Bell is already paying $15/hour the prices are about a nickle higher than where they are still paying $7.25 ... you are buying all the lies. The politicians, the bankers, the Wall Street brokers ... they love your gullibility.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many insurance agents are so anti-American worker.

I’m not just talking about $15 an hr wages . Inflation is very much a psychological event . Ex . Your a paint contractor and you see your competitor bid $10k for a house that last yr was bid at $5k bid your raising your bid. Lumber up 4 times in a yr , airline ticket prices skying , hotels booked up coast to coast . Go get a bid on some items to do around your house and tell me no inflation . The only way to make this work is high end wages tank and taxes go up . Too many dollars printed in the world chasing too few goods . Go look at your disabled clients that haven’t worked in 30 yrs . They got $3400 in stimy checks and spend every cent . Multiply that by 55 million . A lot of free money chasing goods . Every company from coke to pg has announced 8-10% price hikes .

One dollar when I graduated from college is about $1.85 today.

One dollar in tuition when I graduated is $5.36 today.

I really don't understand you Louis. You should be so much more understanding of the plight of the poor and middle class than you are. It is as though you are stuck in 1966.

It is a different world. And for those raising families after the dot com bubble compared to before, it has been a much tougher row to hoe as the saying goes.

Dot com bubble, 9/11, housing bubble, financial crisis, the great recession, Covid, and coming to a neighborhood near you soon: US Housing Bubble, part deux.

I worked three years out of high school and I managed to save enough to pay for all but $2500 of my college tuition. Three years to save four years of tuition as an auto mechanic. No way I'd accomplish that today as an 18 year old turning a wrench. My dad went to the same college as I did. A dollar when he went to college was equal to $4.58 when I went to school. But tuition had merely doubled in the 25 years between he and I.

Just think about the math for a second. No one is suggesting folks don't pay back their loans. This thread started because some state somewhere apparently thinks that if someone is in arrears on a student loan the best punishment is to deny them the ability to make a living.

I am for working people, Louis, not the f'n politicians, bankers, and Wall Street brokers who have been buying yachts with money that should be in the pockets of working Americans.

Different world than 60 years ago and different world than 30 years ago. Like it or not, kids today have it much harder than you and I did. And I got my start making $2.50 stacking bales of hay in barns. That doesn't mean my son should accept the same pay for the same job today.
David, do you not understand that buying yachts' is putting money in the pockets of working people. Don't you remember the last time liberals tried to put a hefty luxury tax on yachts? They had to repeal it becasue people quit buying boats and it put tons of people out of work. Not just the boat builders but all the people they traded with, car dealers, restaurants, retail stores. I have a grandson that is worker for Mailbu boat builders. Makes $26.00 per hour.. They are begging for help and paying a hire on bonus but no one will apply for the jobs. The same is true with every boat builder in our area.

you are talking about the costs of things going up in the last thirty years but are ignoring that wages have gone up also. The papermill job that I had that paid $4.00 per hour in 1971 is now paying $29.00 per hour.. I don't know of anyone that is working doing the same job for the same wage of 30 years ago. Neither do you.

Last edited:
Back