insurer trying to pull a fast one?!

JoeAccidenr

Insurer is Prgrsive. Was in front end accident last week( moderate damage, front end bend inwards short of the radiator), filed a claim, talked to a lady.. she gave me 2 options, I told the lady I wanted my car fixed. Got a call and talked to adjustor, sent pictures.. few days later they sent a pdf estimate of damages. Now I am getting an email from them saying if I dont choose a method to receive payment a check will be mailed to me. I plan on calling them and tell them I dont want to receive payment and that I wamt my car fixed. Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you

Take the check.....use it to get your car fixed......
Hmm. I don't have much experience filing car insurance claims. Somethimg seems fishy idk. The first lady I talked to said I had the option to get my car fixed or to receive a payment. I choose getting car fixed.

Now they are wanting to force me to take a check. I am concerned the estimate they made from looking at some pictures will not be enough from what they find at the auto body shop.

Hmm. I don't have much experience filing car insurance claims. Somethimg seems fishy idk. The first lady I talked to said I had the option to get my car fixed or to receive a payment. I choose getting car fixed.

Now they are wanting to force me to take a check. I am concerned the estimate they made from looking at some pictures will not be enough from what they find at the auto body shop.
and if its not enough the people fixing your car will call the insurance co. to make a adjustment......

STIBroker is right. That's how it works. Nothing fishy going on.

Take the estimate and the car to a couple of reputable shops that routinely deal with Progressive and see if they can do the repairs for the amounts in the estimate.

If they can do it, leave your car and get the check. Pay the shop when the repairs are done.

If the shop finds hidden damage that was not on the estimate they will call Progressive and get a supplement.

STIBroker is right. That's how it works. Nothing fishy going on.

Take the estimate and the car to a couple of reputable shops that routinely deal with Progressive and see if they can do the repairs for the amounts in the estimate.

If they can do it, leave your car and get the check. Pay the shop when the repairs are done.

If the shop finds hidden damage that was not on the estimate they will call Progressive and get a supplement.
yes. I called and the lady confirmed what you 2 are saying. thanks for the reply!

Insurer is Prgrsive. Was in front end accident last week( moderate damage, front end bend inwards short of the radiator), filed a claim, talked to a lady.. she gave me 2 options, I told the lady I wanted my car fixed. Got a call and talked to adjustor, sent pictures.. few days later they sent a pdf estimate of damages. Now I am getting an email from them saying if I dont choose a method to receive payment a check will be mailed to me. I plan on calling them and tell them I dont want to receive payment and that I wamt my car fixed. Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you

What did your agent suggest?

What did your agent suggest?
They didn't. But, why would I follow their recommendation?? They work FOR the insurance company. Car is fairly well damaged, there could be hidden damage as well as structural damage to the hood hinges since it got dented back a lot as well. I can slap on a new hood, but I can't really fix it if the metal hinges got bent out of place, I don't have the tools for it. I read elsewhere if I take payment cash-out thats it, I'm on the hook for whatever damages come up. Would rather take it to the shop and have them fix it 'til it is good and right.

They didn't. But, why would I follow their recommendation?? They work FOR the insurance company. Car is fairly well damaged, there could be hidden damage as well as structural damage to the hood hinges since it got dented back a lot as well. I can slap on a new hood, but I can't really fix it if the metal hinges got bent out of place, I don't have the tools for it. I read elsewhere if I take payment cash-out thats it, I'm on the hook for whatever damages come up. Would rather take it to the shop and have them fix it 'til it is good and right.

Progressive doesn't employ the agents. Agents are self employed independent agents who represent many companies.

Last edited:
Back